News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Word Golf

Started by gilbert_given_TBG, Jan 15, 2021, 10:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbert_given_TBG

In this game, you'll try to reduce the character count of the previous post, while keeping the meaning of it intact. You know, kinda like code golf.

The Rules
[list=*]
[li]You can do anything with the word, as long as the meaning is preserved. Even translating to another language is allowed.[/li]
[li]You can explain what you change in the word, especially if it's not in English.[/li]
[li]Errors are allowed.[/li]
[li]If the meaning has changed or it's no longer possible to shorten it even further, you make a new word. [/li]
[li]Different encodings are allowed, however, it's kinda unnecessary, since we're reducing characters, not bytes.[/li]
[li]Programming languages are allowed.[/li]
[li]Golfing programing languages are allowed, but it will be tagged as non-competing.[/li]
[li]I can change the rules. ;)[/li]
[/list]

The Catalogue
Although unnecessary, you can start the post with this:
language name, n characters
words
where n is the number of characters.
If you change a language, you can keep the old one by stroking it:
English Chinese, 1 character

The same goes if you improve the glyph score:
English Chinese, 5 1 character

If the language is super obscure, you can link it to one.

Let's start!
Start with this code word:
English, 344 characters
Code golf is a type of recreational computer programming competition in which participants strive to achieve the shortest possible source code that implements a certain algorithm. Playing code golf is known as "golf scripting". Code golf challenges and tournaments may also be named with the programming language used (for example, Perl golf).

PkmnQ

English, 333? glyphs

Code golf is a recreational computer programming competition in which participants strive to achieve the shortest possible source code that implements a certain algorithm. Playing code golf is called "golf scripting". Code golf challenges and tournaments may also be named with the programming language used (for example, Perl golf).
This was a thing I tried to do, but insert mess of a sentence here. Also, I'm a vowelless neither transparent nor translucent mammal of the genus Neogale, I guess. :/ B)
The future experience must be anticipated beforehand to ensure proper expectations.
Tip: Use c͢ombining cha͊racters, because ye᷂s.
Quine list

Threads that I think should be played more (found in the Infinite Flood): link chain

gilbert_given_TBG

(Glyphs are a fancy way to say characters (excluding spaces and symbols). Also, you don't need to encase it in quotes.)

English, 333 317 glyphs
Code golf is a recreational computer programming competition in which participants compete to make the shortest possible source code that implements a certain algorithm. Playing code golf is called "golf scripting". Code golf challenges or tournaments may be named with the programming language used (like Perl golf).

(You know what, this glyph thing is very confusing. Imma change it to characters)

Byron_Inc_TBG

(字 has 6 strokes, but 话 has 8)

English, 317 245 characters long.
Code gold is a computer programming competition where participants make the shortest possible source code that implements algorithms. Playing code golf is called "golf scripting". Code golf events may be named with the programming language used.
eh

gilbert_given_TBG

(We don't count strokes, we count characters. But that's just a demo, so it's up to you.)

English, 317 245 221 characters long.

Code golf is a programming competition where participants make the shortest possible code that do algorithms. Playing code golf is called "golf scripting". Code golf events may be named with the programming language used.

Byron_Inc_TBG

English, 344 333 317 245 221 200 characters long.

Code golf is a programming competition where participants make shortest code that algorithmise. Playing code golf is "golf scripting". Code golf events may be named with the programming language used.
eh

PkmnQ

05AB1E dictionary compressed English, 344 333 317 245 221 200 65 characters

"ƒËŠˆ€ˆ€...–±šÖ,áë,§ƒË€Š³¹ise.–£ƒËŠˆ€ˆŠˆ×ï.ƒËŠˆ,,Í€¿€ïžÅ€Ž€€–±†Æ,›.
This was a thing I tried to do, but insert mess of a sentence here. Also, I'm a vowelless neither transparent nor translucent mammal of the genus Neogale, I guess. :/ B)
The future experience must be anticipated beforehand to ensure proper expectations.
Quine list

Threads that I think should be played more (found in the Infinite Flood): link chain

gilbert_given_TBG

I knew this would happen! Guess we can't continue... PSYCH!
Compressed 05AB13 code,  344 333 317 245 221 200 65 59 characters
"s鲋ᣭி쭽큇㮽갞㴔댂젦摟ꦸ藚꨸敘ޥ耈霊平畦南䰫㟭돢찣솤"Ç•121•βƵ›в1-vyžĆè})>õý.VTry it online!
How it works:
"s鲋ᣭி쭽큇㮽갞㴔댂젦摟ꦸ藚꨸敘ޥ耈霊平畦南䰫㟭돢찣솤"This is the code above, in base 65536.
Ç•121•βƵ›вThis converts the code to base-255, thus decompressing it.
1-vyžĆè})>õýThis converts the decompressed code into 05AB1E code.
.VThis runs the finished code.

(I guess we've reached the limit...)

Byron_Inc_TBG

Guess I'll make the next!

545 characters
Forgetting or disremembering is the apparent loss or modification of information already encoded and stored in an individual's short or long-term memory. It is a spontaneous or gradual process in which old memories are unable to be recalled from memory storage. Problems with remembering, learning and retaining new information are a few of the most common complaints of older adults.[1] Studies show that retention improves with increased rehearsal. This improvement occurs because rehearsal helps to transfer information into long-term memory.
eh

PkmnQ

I'm pretty sure post 8 is improvable by using the largest base possible. Let me remind you of https://codegolf.stackexchange.com/a/217575/91569
Quine list

gilbert_given_TBG

English, 545 466 characters
Forgetting is the apparent loss or modification of information already encoded and stored in an individual's short or long-term memory. It is a immediate or gradual process in which old memories are unable to be recalled. Problems with remembering, learning and retaining new information are a few of the common complaints of older adults. Studies show that retention improves with increased rehearsal, because rehearsal helps to put information to long-term memory.

Quote from: PkmnQI'm pretty sure post 8 is improvable by using the largest base possible. Let me remind you of https://codegolf.stackexchange.com/a/217575/91569
Using base-131702 doesn't work. Using base-73728 works but I get +2.

Byron_Inc_TBG

English, 545 466 371 characters
Forgetting is the loss or change of information already encoded and stored in one's memory. It is immediate or gradual that one is unable to recall old memories. Problems with remembering, learning and retaining new information are common complaints of elders. Studies show that memory improves with increased rehearsal as it helps to put information to long-term memory.
eh

gilbert_given_TBG

English, 545 466 371 363 characters
Forgetting is an immediate or gradual loss or change of information already encoded and stored in one's memory, making one unable to recall old memories. Problems with remembering, learning and retaining new information are common complaints of elders. Studies show that memory improves with increased rehearsal as it helps to put information to long-term memory.

Byron_Inc_TBG

English, 545 466 371 363 322 characters
Forgetting is the loss or change of information already in one's memory, making one unable to recall old memories. Problems with remembering, learning and retaining new information are elders' common complaints. Studies show that memory improves with increased rehearsal as it helps to put information to long-term memory.
eh

PkmnQ

Gramatically incorrect English, 545 466 371 363 322 246 characters
Forgetting is information loss/change already in memory make unable recall memory. Remembering+learning+retaining problems new information are elder common complaint. Memory improve with increase rehearse as helps put information long-term memory
Quine list

KurtBach325

Chinese, 93 Chars
忘记是指记忆中丢失或改变信息,使人们无法回忆起过去的记忆。老年人普遍抱怨关于记忆,学习和保留新信息的问题。研究表明,随着回忆次数的增加,记忆力会提高,因为它有助于将信息存储到长期记忆中。
Kurt Cornelis Bach | Incompleteness | Impossible objects | Fugues and Ricercars
TonyBrown148 | BronyTown187 | BlueKirin208 | KurtBach325 | BusyBeaver565

Byron_Inc_TBG

Chinese, 93 82 chars
忘记是记忆中丢失或改变信息,使人们无法回忆过去。老人抱怨关于记忆,学习和保留新信息的问题。研究表明随着回忆次数的增加,记忆力会提高,因为它帮你将信息存到长期记忆中。
eh

KurtBach325

Wenyanwen (文言文,AKA Clasical Chinese), 55 chars
忘乃忆中失或改信,使人不能忆昔。老怨其记、学与存新知也。究明,随忆数之增,记得重,以其为汝将信息存至长之忆中。
Kurt Cornelis Bach | Incompleteness | Impossible objects | Fugues and Ricercars
TonyBrown148 | BronyTown187 | BlueKirin208 | KurtBach325 | BusyBeaver565

Byron_Inc_TBG

Treat it as an older version of Chinese

I can't seem to reduce the word count.
eh

gilbert_given_TBG

Just make another sentence. Anyway...
English, 548 chars
The next portal that takes the group to a desert world ruled by the super-computer PAMA, who has enslaved the local population. After PAMA takes control of Lukas and Petra, Jesse and Ivor escape aided by Harper, PAMA's creator, who reveals herself as an Old Builder. Harper takes them to her lab to retrieve something to help stop PAMA, where Jesse manages to free either Lukas or Petra before Harper is captured. Harper directs Jesse to PAMA's power source, the Redstone Heart, which Jesse destroys to deactivate PAMA and free everyone enslaved by it.

Maew Nryang

wenyanwen again but with bo punctuation. too lazy to count

下一传门引此作入一由超计算机帕玛之沙漠界帕玛役之民于帕玛制矣卢卡斯与佩特拉后杰西与艾弗在帕玛之创造者哈珀之助下走矣哈珀露其为旧筑商哈珀携入实验室取物助止帕玛杰西图于哈珀获是矣卢卡斯或佩特拉哈珀指杰西得帕玛之力原丹石之心杰西坏丹石之心使帕玛失气释了凡为其役者
*See XKCD 1688.
Hi. My name is Maew Nryang. Please call me "Maew", not "Nryang".
NEW GAME: https://tbgforums.com/forums/index.php?topic=6658.0

Byron_Inc_TBG

Quote from: TonyBrown148下一传门引此作入一由超计算机帕玛之沙漠界帕玛役之民于帕玛制矣卢卡斯与佩特拉后杰西与艾弗在帕玛之创造者哈珀之助下走矣哈珀露其为旧筑商哈珀携入实验室取物助止帕玛杰西图于哈珀获是矣卢卡斯或佩特拉哈珀指杰西得帕玛之力原丹石之心杰西坏丹石之心使帕玛失气释了凡为其役者
can you post another version that has the punctuations :P
eh

gilbert_given_TBG

Compressed 05AB13 code,  548 128 119 characters
"ⓠ쏋堉ꒀ嬣෯䜦硒ꢪ쒹⽏왳⋛蚲䞢컽筕ቆ秊爱䃚銞똗댧뮕ı燤퐯ᅰ麙䏗얛操䶉ꈺꞡ蓂鴩盼垓솳⯈ꃶ殏훡끵鬌茑旖촊ꐺ᳨娥驴䧘켲駄朒涊꟣绳恛䢼ɍ杧鉳茦Ṗ䣖횢Ь࢕弋匫ꮪ꽚踾⠉⇨㛾ۿᐿ慣᳣箕ᣠ댂ž缞ૡ광ꥌ힊욚롕"ÇŽÙÙβƵ›в1-vyžĆè})>õý.VTry it online!

You know what, using golflangs makes the game less fun.

Maew Nryang

117 chars, true wenyan
下厅门引此作入一超计算机帕玛之沙漠界帕玛役之民于帕玛制卢卡斯与佩特拉后杰西与艾弗在帕玛之创者哈珀之助下矣哈珀露其为旧筑商哈珀携入实验室物助止帕玛杰西图于哈珀获前救卢卡斯与佩特拉哈珀指杰西得帕玛力原丹石心杰西坏丹石心使帕玛气释凡为其役者
*See XKCD 1688.
Hi. My name is Maew Nryang. Please call me "Maew", not "Nryang".
NEW GAME: https://tbgforums.com/forums/index.php?topic=6658.0