News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Protect Your Pals!

Started by Tymewalk, Nov 27, 2020, 12:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tymewalk

Protect Your Pals!
(Apologies for editing the OP a lot, I missed a LOT when first writing this.)
Story
You and your party have decided to climb the Tower of Evil, in order to defeat the Darkest King at the top of all 100 floors! While climbing the tower, you have only one goal - protect your pals!

Gameplay
Each floor will have a different challenge or set of enemies to defeat. The difficulty is adjusted based on how strong the party members are and how many people are playing. (Each player may have one character, but they can sign up after their current character is defeated.)

You may carry two weapons, five items, and three skills at any time. You can swap these between members of your party, provided they have space to carry them.

Weapons can be swapped between at any time, but you can't use both of them in the same turn while you're in combat. You can switch at the beginning or end of a turn though.
Items can be used at any time they say they can.
You can use one skill per turn. Some skills may be passive, which means they activate automatically.

If you have no weapons, you can use an item as a weapon. However, items are not as durable as weapons, and are more prone to missing or breaking.

Everything above can change if otherwise stated.

Some items may expand your capacity for carrying certain items. For example, a Bag of Holding may take up 0 slots and give you 2 more. If you lose slots and are carrying more items than you can hold, you are forced to drop something.

Combat
Combat is done by rolling an attacking roll against a defending one. Generally, if the attacking roll is greater than the defending one, the hit lands. Otherwise, it misses.

If the attacking roll is 10 or more points higher than the defending roll, it's a critical hit, which deals extra damage.
If the attacking roll is only 1 point higher than the defending roll, it grazes, which deals only a little bit of damage.
If they're equal, it counts as a successful block, and nothing happens.

Sign-Up Sheet
Name:
Appearance:
Pick something to take with you...: (You can pick a weapon, or another item and hope you find a weapon in the Tower of Evil. Please specify if you're using the item as a weapon or not, as that affects gameplay.)
Other:
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Tymewalk

Current Characters
Quote from: Byron_Inc_TBGName: Byron
Appearance: 5 feet tall, Asian, Black glasses, black hair
Other: He is obsessed with Math.

Weapons (1/2): Stone Hammer
Inventory (1/5): A math book
Skills (0/3)
Quote from: seanbobeName: Haley
Appearance: Blonde hair.
Other: Family owns a farm.

Weapons (1/2): Sickle
Items (0/5): Green Angular ring (equipped)
Skills (0/3)
Quote from: FishmaelName: Batraz (Batradz, Pataraz)
Appearance: Looks to be made of red hot iron. Seaweed is woven through his long hair.
Other: Born from a boil on his father's back.

Weapons (0/2)
Items (1/5): Metalworking Tongs, Flowing Blue Ring
Skills (0/3)
Quote from: FlashFlireName: Teddy Zeke
Appearance: Pretty short. Rather scruffy hair, probably wearing a jacket of some description.
Other: This just seemed like a Teddy Zeke-compatible RP to me

Weapons (1/2): A good, solid, cast-iron frying pan
Items (0/5)
Skills (0/3)
Quote from: Smiley100PName: Varinus
Appearance: An anthropomorphic Artic Fox, short in stature, with pale blue-grey fur, white-dipped paws, and crimson pupils.
Other: Totally no rule of cool here

Weapons (1/2): A crossbow
Items (0/5)
Skills (0/3)
Quote from: Joyous ThetaName: Shal
Appearance: A tall human in a labcoat with short hair. His skin is a strange, extremely pale blue, while his veins are made very easy to see.
Pick an item...: Scalpel
Other: A biologist who wishes to obtain samples from the monsters residing within the tower. Doesn't actually care about their pals enough to protect them, aside from using them as an expendable resource to get further up and perhaps take samples from some of the more interesting ones, one way or another.

Weapons (0/2)
Items (2/5): Scalpel, Dust Monster clump
Skills (0/3)
Quote from: IncendiaryGamingBrad
Quote from: IncendiaryGamingName: Brad
Appearance: Black hoodie and shorts, black combat boots and various glowing blue markings on his legs.
Pick something to take with you: an adamantium sword (corrected to steel by GM), 1 metre blade, 20 centimetre handle and guard, because why not an actual weapon?
Other: un-ageing god who has seen many wars across time and space.

Weapons (1/2): Steel Sword
Items (0/5):
Skills (0/3)
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Byron_Inc_TBG

Name: Byron
Pick an item...: A Math book
eh

Tymewalk

Quote from: Byron_Inc_TBGName: Byron
Pick an item...: A Math book
Accepted.

I'll start when we get about 4-5 characters.

Seanbobe

Name: Haley
Pick an item...: Sickle
My joke RPG: Instructions Unclear: The RPG of Memes
My serious RPG: Stop the Spambots!
My offline life: error 404

Fishmael

Name: Batraz (Batradz, Pataraz)
Appearance: Looks to be made of red hot iron. Seaweed is woven through his long hair.
Pick an item...: Metalworking tongs
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Tymewalk

Quote from: seanbobeName: Haley
Pick an item...: Sickle
Quote from: FishmaelName: Batraz (Batradz, Pataraz)
Pick an item...: Metalworking tongs
Both accepted.

Blunderbus

Name: Teddy Zeke
Appearance: Pretty short. Rather scruffy hair, probably wearing a jacket of some description.
Pick an item...: A good, solid, cast-iron frying pan.
join Fragmented Future to RIDE A TRAIN! WOOOOOOO YEAH, TRAINS, BABY!

Tymewalk

Quote from: FlashFlireName: Teddy Zeke
Pick an item...: A good, solid, cast-iron frying pan.
Accepted.

Starmeadows

Name: Varinus
Appearance: An anthropomorphic Artic Fox, short in stature, with pale blue-grey fur, white-dipped paws, and crimson pupils.
Pick an item...: A crossbow
Other: Totally no rule of cool here

Joyous Theta

Name: Dollhouse of Despair
Appearance: Looks like an ordinary dollhouse made for children to play with, except for the fact that it's floating and full of despair.
Pick an item...: Haunted doll projectiles
Other: Is jealous of the tower of evil because it's taller and more evil than them.

Tymewalk

Quote from: Joyous ThetaName: Dollhouse of Despair
Appearance: Looks like an ordinary dollhouse made for children to play with, except for the fact that it's floating and full of despair.
Pick an item...: Haunted doll projectiles
Other: Is jealous of the tower of evil because it's taller and more evil than them.
Haunted doll projectiles seems like a little much for the beginning of the game, but you could use a haunted doll as a weapon to start.

Once Theta gets their sign-up sorted I'll start the game.

Joyous Theta

Ok I have decided against the joke character here's a non-joke character.

Name: Shal
Appearance: A tall human in a labcoat with short hair. His skin is a strange, extremely pale blue, while his veins are made very easy to see.
Other: A biologist who wishes to obtain samples from the monsters residing within the tower. Doesn't actually care about their pals enough to protect them, aside from using them as an expendable resource to get further up and perhaps take samples from some of the more interesting ones, one way or another.

Tymewalk

Quote from: Joyous ThetaOk I have decided against the joke character here's a non-joke character.

Name: Shal
Accepted. I'll post turn one in a bit.

Wolfslime123

If our goal is to protect pals and we came to the tower voluntarily, then the best way to complete the goal is to leave.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Tymewalk

Our party of six stands outside of the tower, gazing up at how far it goes. But, an adventure can't be started without taking the first step, or in this case, opening the first door. So, as the door swings open, the party finds themselves on...

Floor One - The Ground Floor

"Ground" floor would be an appropriate term for more than one reason, given that there's so much dirt on the floor it looks just like it does outside. Either that, or the floor is so badly worn that the floor has actually been destroyed, and the party is now seeing the ground the castle sits on.

Regardless, the party ventures in, as the door shuts behind them. Thankfully, the windows let a little bit of light in, highlighting the dust and other various particles in the air.

A pair of stone statues stands behind them next to the door, one holding a large spear, and the other a large hammer. They appear to be warriors of some kind, although they're so worn they'd be unrecognizable compared to their real-life counterparts.

Looking around more of the room, it seems as if this place was some sort of foyer at one point. Some tattered tapestries line the walls, as do a few scarce pieces of broken furniture. The wall sconces have mostly been torn off, but the few that remain hold a torch that burnt out long ago.

The air feels eerily still, as the empty hallway beckons the party to move forward, but not before a peculiar pair of creatures stop them.

The Dust Monsters approach!

Tymewalk

Quote from: \//If our goal is to protect pals and we came to the tower voluntarily, then the best way to complete the goal is to leave.
The Darkest King threatens to destroy pals across the world, so leaving would be letting him do exactly that. This is definitely not a plot hole I somehow missed and needed to patch quickly.

Byron_Inc_TBG

Byron frowned for a bit. He does not have any weapon. He tried blowing them to see if that destroys them.
eh

Starmeadows

"...Already?" Varnius annoyedly muttered under his breath, readying a crossbow bolt as he locked his eyes on one of the two Dust Monsters, pulling the trigger shortly thereafter.

(Given he brought a crossbow to the Tower, ammunition would probably be a required useful second.  I guess.)

Tymewalk

Quote from: Smiley100P(Given he brought a crossbow to the Tower, ammunition would probably be a required useful second.  I guess.)
(Since a crossbow isn't super powerful I'm gonna go ahead and say you have unlimited crossbow ammo for all intents and purposes.)

Blunderbus

Teddy takes a step forward to look brave, but he really doesn't feel like going any closer to these creatures that he doesn't recognise right now.
join Fragmented Future to RIDE A TRAIN! WOOOOOOO YEAH, TRAINS, BABY!

Joyous Theta

Shal smirks at the dust monsters. Only at the base of the tower, and yet already he'd encountered three unique, and very interesting different creatures. He'd have to collect samples from the iron-y humanoid and the standing fox at some later point, yet for now, he grabs a fistful of dust from the dust monsters with no regard for his own well-being.

Seanbobe

Haley freezes for a second before quickly running and striking the same monster with her sickle that Varnius attacked.
My joke RPG: Instructions Unclear: The RPG of Memes
My serious RPG: Stop the Spambots!
My offline life: error 404

Fishmael

Batraz knows what the most important thing to do is right now. He bounds through the room towards the hammer, which he attempts to pry from the hands of the statue which holds it. "A worthy item for a hero of my caliber!" he says, laughing heartily.
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Tymewalk

Quote from: Byron_Inc_TBGByron frowned for a bit. He does not have any weapon. He tried blowing them to see if that destroys them.
Byron blows on the Dust Monsters, but that doesn't seem to slow them. It looks like he's not strong enough to blow them away.
Quote from: Smiley100P"...Already?" Varnius annoyedly muttered under his breath, readying a crossbow bolt as he locked his eyes on one of the two Dust Monsters, pulling the trigger shortly thereafter.

(Given he brought a crossbow to the Tower, ammunition would probably be a required useful second.  I guess.)
Varnius: 12
Dust Monster: 14 - 4 (slow) = 10

The bolt hits the dust monster, causing it to slowly reel from the attack.
Quote from: FlashFlireTeddy takes a step forward to look brave, but he really doesn't feel like going any closer to these creatures that he doesn't recognise right now.
The remaining dust monster appears to motion towards Teddy, but still does not attack. It doesn't seem like it can really notice him.
Quote from: Joyous ThetaShal smirks at the dust monsters. Only at the base of the tower, and yet already he'd encountered three unique, and very interesting different creatures. He'd have to collect samples from the iron-y humanoid and the standing fox at some later point, yet for now, he grabs a fistful of dust from the dust monsters with no regard for his own well-being.
Shal picks up a clump of the dust. While it doesn't exactly feel the most comfortable to hold, it doesn't seem to hurt him, except for maybe making his hands a little grimy.
Quote from: seanbobeHaley freezes for a second before quickly running and striking the same monster with her sickle that Varnius attacked.
Haley: 7
Dust Monster: 9 - 4 (slow) = 5

Haley cuts the dust monster in half, causing it to slowly fall apart.
Quote from: FishmaelBatraz knows what the most important thing to do is right now. He bounds through the room towards the hammer, which he attempts to pry from the hands of the statue which holds it. "A worthy item for a hero of my caliber!" he says, laughing heartily.
Batraz pulls on the hammer, trying to pry it free from the statue's stone grip. He tugs and tugs, until eventually it loosens itself... and raises above his head.

The stone statue misses slamming the hammer down on Batraz by a hair, but quickly manages to break itself free from its stand.

The Stone Hammerer joins the fray!

The other statue appears to be moving about a little, too.