News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

PMing

Started by Tai-Guy, Jun 19, 2013, 04:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tai-Guy

After much discussion in the mod only forums we decided to make a modified PMing system that has reporting. We need all the help we can get so if you are a programmer please come and help. Once it is done we will  use it and give out the code for anyone to use.

the programming will be happening here (in this topic).

program awey!
Tai-Guy.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

]
                                                                                                                                                            Earth and Moon, showing their sizes and distance to scale. The yellow bar represents a pulse of light traveling from Earth to Moon in 1.26 seconds.

SJR

1st post on sticky
Might be gone for a while.  :(

GeonoTRON2000

@SJR: what was the value of that message?

Anyways, I can probably help out, but I think you need to provide more information.  You said "modified", meaning that we are basing it off of something.  What are we basing it off of?  What language are we using?  I assume PHP.  That kind of thing.
https://github.com/GeonoTRON2000

Verify my signatures or send me encrypted messages:
https://geonotron2000.github.io/pgp.txt

SJR

Quote from: GeonoTRON2000@SJR: what was the value of that message?

Anyways, I can probably help out, but I think you need to provide more information.  You said "modified", meaning that we are basing it off of something.  What are we basing it off of?  What language are we using?  I assume PHP.  That kind of thing.
That epic feeling you get when you get 1st post on a stickied topic.
Might be gone for a while.  :(

jji7skyline

Note that if we succeed in making this FluxBB plugin, we will not be using it right away. Instead we will test it on a spare installation of FluxBB to test that it works to perfection, and then re-discuss if PMs are a safe addition for this website.

At the moment, we want a PM plugin that works like any other PM plugin, except in the important point that all PMs must be visible to admins and mods (configurable using plugin settings panel), and PMs must be able to be reported like any regular post for extra emphasis for mods to view them.
I see the world inside of one...
I see the world inside of two...
I see the world inside of me...
I see the world inside of you...                                 ~ Policy Concept

Tai-Guy

Quote from: jji7skylineNote that if we succeed in making this FluxBB plugin, we will not be using it right away. Instead we will test it on a spare installation of FluxBB to test that it works to perfection, and then re-discuss if PMs are a safe addition for this website.

At the moment, we want a PM plugin that works like any other PM plugin, except in the important point that all PMs must be visible to admins and mods (configurable using plugin settings panel), and PMs must be able to be reported like any regular post for extra emphasis for mods to view them.

the pms admins/mods should not be able to see unless they are reported
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

]
                                                                                                                                                            Earth and Moon, showing their sizes and distance to scale. The yellow bar represents a pulse of light traveling from Earth to Moon in 1.26 seconds.

jji7skyline

Quote from: Tai-Guy
Quote from: jji7skylineNote that if we succeed in making this FluxBB plugin, we will not be using it right away. Instead we will test it on a spare installation of FluxBB to test that it works to perfection, and then re-discuss if PMs are a safe addition for this website.

the pms admins/mods should not be able to see unless they are reported
Then any two members could carry out inappropriate conversations. I cannot allow PMs, unless they are 100% moderated.
I see the world inside of you...                                 ~ Policy Concept

Tai-Guy

there is already a pming system that dose that - we can't  look at every single pm if both users are ok with it then its not to bad

]

Tai-Guy

]

jji7skyline

Quote from: Tai-Guythere is already a pming system that dose that - we can't  look at every single pm if both users are ok with it then its not to bad
There are no PM plugins I know of that does that. We can look at most PMs, if not all - we have a large moderation team after all. That's not true, if both users are doing it, both users are worthy of a ban.

Tai-Guy

its not a PM if we can see it.

]

Zoomreddin

Quote from: Tai-Guyits not a PM if we can see it.
A PM system could be disastrous if it wasn't moderated.

jvvg

I got an email about this. I once did this, but I do not have the code on me right now. I could program it again, but I do not know of any easy way that doesn't involve making all PM conversations available to admins.

I'm not slacking off. My code's compiling.

Tai-Guy

it should  be available to admins only if reported

]

fred

Quote from: Tai-Guyit should  be available to admins only if reported
what about admins can see all and mods can see reported.

Tai-Guy

Quote from: shiguy101
that i think would be hard to program

]

GeonoTRON2000

Quote from: Tai-Guy
Quote from: shiguy101
that i think would be hard to program
It's easier than you think.
if ($is_admmod) {
  if ($pun_user["gid"] == PUN_ADMIN) {
    // Admin
  }
  else {
    // Mod
  }
}

mythbusteranimator

Wut he said

I was totes gonna post that

A few years l8er

check out this site
i heard it's cool ;)

Tai-Guy

]

Tai-Guy

the other problem is that if mod/admins play a multiplayer game involving  pming if they can see everyone pms that can mess up the game a lot

]

mythbusteranimator

What PMing TBGs would there be...

Unless benjamin2 gets active :P

check out this site
i heard it's cool ;)

GeonoTRON2000

Quote from: mythbusteranimatorWhat PMing TBGs would there be...

"Guess what I told 360!"
Where you send a PM to 360, and the next person has to guess what you said.

TheLetterThorn

Or games that involve some sort of password that only certain users know and they're trying to get their team to guess what it is by giving certain clues. (Like Taboo, only different.)
Thorn | TBG Team | Massive Nerd
Currently on vacation and will remain active until the spring semester.
Obsessed with William Butler Yeats until further notice.
Visit my website, where I display my creative and web projects.
Pronouns: at this point do i even know? (he/him/his)

jji7skyline

If I must say this again: All PMs must be visible to admins and/or mods (configurable), or PMs cannot be added.

Not all PMs would be read by mods, but rather on a random basis, so that any inappropriate messagers would be caught and banned.

Tai-Guy

Quote from: GeonoTRON2000
Quote from: mythbusteranimatorWhat PMing TBGs would there be...

"Guess what I told 360!"
Where you send a PM to 360, and the next person has to guess what you said.
i would make one.

Quote from: jji7skylineIf I must say this again: All PMs must be visible to admins and/or mods (configurable), or PMs cannot be added.
Not all PMs would be read by mods, but rather on a random basis, so that any inappropriate messagers would be caught and banned.
i think 360 and MBA agree to it only being visible if reported - admin majority

]