News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Words of Power: Playing by the Book

Started by Seanbobe, Jun 01, 2021, 07:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanbobe

January 1, 2018
This is the day it had all started. That night, everyone in town was at a big party. The local college had agreed to host the party this year. Unbeknownst to anyone, a student's project was left on a heater in the school's lab. Nobody knew until it was too late. But it wouldn't be long until the effects started showing themselves. This is my recollection of the events that transpired.

CLASSIFIED:
On words of power:
As nobody in the college claimed the sabotaged project, we don't have any definitive answers on what was in the beaker. All of our knowledge is based on the effects. Some of the people in town seem to have developed so-called "words of power". These words grant the person supernatural powers related to the word in question. The powers might be related in a way that is not immediately obvious. For example, a person with the word "open" as their power, would not only be able to open doors, but to also get people to open up about their feelings.

So the game will start on the morning of January 2, which is when people start getting powers.

Signup:
Name:
Description:
Inventory:
Word of power:
Locatiion: (Don't correct the spelling. TBGForums apparently can't handle if that word is spelled correctly.)

Characters:
Alive:
Stella:
Player: Seanbobe, TotallyNotSeanbobe
Word of power: Lost
(See below for character sheet)

Jay:
Player: Blunderbus
Word of power: Cool
Character sheet

Grayden:
Player: Byron_Inc_TBG
Word of power: Get
Character sheet

Raven:
Player: IncendiaryGaming
Word of power: превращаться (Transform)
Character sheet

Stanley:
Player: Seanbobe, TotallyNotSeanbobe
Word of power: Animate
Character sheet

Judy:
Player: Joyous Theta
Word of power: Beat
Character sheet

Harlow:
Player: Joyous Theta
Word of power: Take
Character sheet

Jacob:
Player: \\/\/
Word of power: Survive
Character sheet

Dead:
None.

Left:
None.

Rules:
Standard TBGForums rules.
Standard RPG rules.
If you have an alt you intend to control your characters with, specify in your character sheet or send me a message on Discord.
Feel free to stretch the definition of your word. As long as it technically fits, it's fine.
Death is permanent unless someone else's word can undo it. Your word stops working if you die.
Multiple people may have the same word of power.
The characters should not know this yet, but their word of power is the first word they said after being exposed to the experiment. By the way, add "tomato" to your signup sheet somewhere so I know you read the rules. Maybe have a plausible explanation for why they would say their word if it comes up later.
Keep your character sheet up to date. I'll just link to it in the character tab.

Anyways, here is my character.

Name: Stella
Description: 19, Female, Confident. College student. Brown hair, wears a backpack.
Inventory: Laptop, papers, pencils, books.
Word of power: Lost
Locatiion: Front of college.
My joke RPG: Instructions Unclear: The RPG of Memes
My serious RPG: Stop the Spambots!
My offline life: error 404

Blunderbus

Name: Jay
Description: A fairly young (probably 28-ish) lecturer at the college. He's conscious of when he does something wrong but isn't always going to go out of his way to improve it. Slightly easily distracted.
He typically wears a pale blue button-up shirt, and carries a laptop bag with him. Curly, fairly long blonde hair.
Inventory: Laptop bag with his fairly old laptop, his phone, a small personal planner with very little written in it, some pens.
Locatiion: His office in the college
Edit: I totally read that part and then completely forgot to add it into my sheet, didn't I, tomato
join Fragmented Future to RIDE A TRAIN! WOOOOOOO YEAH, TRAINS, BABY!

TotallyNotSeanbobe

Quote from: BlunderbusName: Jay
Description: A fairly young (probably 28-ish) lecturer at the college. He's conscious of when he does something wrong but isn't always going to go out of his way to improve it. Slightly easily distracted.
He typically wears a pale blue button-up shirt, and carries a laptop bag with him. Curly, fairly long blonde hair.
Inventory: Laptop bag with his fairly old laptop, his phone, a small personal planner with very little written in it, some pens.
Mostly good, but there's something missing. Please check the rules below the character list again.
I am seanbobe.
If I post from this account, the post was likely made from a mobile device. This may lead to errors and briefness.

Byron_Inc_TBG

Signup

Name: Grayden
Description: An Asian student who skipped most of his elementary and middle school (he's 13). Refer to my banner (yet again). Unstable and childish mentality.
Inventory: A few textbooks, a mobile phone, a laptop, a guitar, a calculator, a notebook, a few pens
Locatiion: The school dormitory, eating a tomato
eh

Incendiary

Name: Raven
Description: often very dark, comes from a traumatic past and somehow lived through 300 years of pain. Doesn't actually belong in school, she's just there for some reason. Was born in Russia, has lived in 30 different countries over the years. Naturally thick skin and faster healing speed, often wears a blue camo hoodie and black tight pants. Hair is usually dark purple or red with thick dark purple streaks.
Inventory: used shotgun shells, unused shotgun shells, karambit knife, gaming phone, butterfly knife, credit card, folding knife, thankfully no more knives.
Word of power: превращаться (it's Russian, put it in Google translate)
Locatiion: the school basement, throwing tomatoes into the furnace.
Just another internet user and anime transbian catgirl dealing with the boring dystopia that is our society. If you were looking for something interesting here, you've come to the wrong place.

My discord is Incendiary__ and you can join my server at https://discord.gg/k2ywUzBAED
My Twitch channl is available at https://twitch.tv/incendiaryoce

Seanbobe

Quote from: BlunderbusName: Jay
Edit: I totally read that part and then completely forgot to add it into my sheet, didn't I, tomato
Quote from: Byron_Inc_TBGSignup

Name: Grayden
Description: An Asian student who skipped most of his elementary and middle school (he's 13). Refer to my banner (yet again). Unstable and childish mentality.
Inventory: A few textbooks, a mobile phone, a laptop, a guitar, a calculator, a notebook, a few pens
Locatiion: The school dormitory, eating a tomato
Quote from: IncendiaryGamingName: Raven
Description: often very dark, comes from a traumatic past and somehow lived through 300 years of pain. Doesn't actually belong in school, she's just there for some reason. Was born in Russia, has lived in 30 different countries over the years. Naturally thick skin and faster healing speed, often wears a blue camo hoodie and black tight pants. Hair is usually dark purple or red with thick dark purple streaks.
Inventory: used shotgun shells, unused shotgun shells, karambit knife, gaming phone, butterfly knife, credit card, folding knife, thankfully no more knives.
Word of power: превращаться (it's Russian, put it in Google translate)
Locatiion: the school basement, throwing tomatoes into the furnace.
Accepted. Will start when I feel like it. (Add the Status: Healthy to Raven's sheet since I will be linking to it in the first post.)

Seanbobe

Alright. Time to start. Characters can have as much or as little control over their powers as you like, but probably shouldn't be fully aware of them immediately. (Also, for new characters, you don't need them to be at the college. Just somewhere in town. The college was just where the party the night before was held. )

Stella is reading an old dusty book in the library.

Blunderbus

Ugh, I have so much work to do, Jay thought, in front of his computer. Shouldn't have gone to that party yesterday. I haven't even made a dent in these exams...
He sighs heavily. Well, might as well get started...

Seanbobe

Stella hears her phone vibrating. Looking in her backpack, she struggles to find the phone before it goes silent. "Oh well." she thinks. "It's in the bag. I'll find it later." She decides to look for a new book.

Blunderbus

...Yep, that's right... that's not quite right, deduct a mark... looks good...
Jay yawned loudly. He really wished he was doing something else right about now.
Okay, last paper for question 2... hm?
The student had written a pretty clever solution. It wasn't quite what was taught but it got to the right answer.
"...Huh. That's pretty cool," he said to nobody in particular. A cool breeze blew through the gap under the door.
...someone doing something weird out there?

He sat back in his chair.
...wonder if I'd focus better somewhere else...

Byron_Inc_TBG

Grayden keeps eating his tomatoes.
He takes out another because he's hungry.
eh

Incendiary

Who even eats tomatoes and enjoys them? Raven thinks to herself as she proceeds to chuck more tomatoes into the boiler.

Once she finds the box of tomatoes empty, she wedges the vent open with her folding knife and creeps through the ventilation network to stalk the students without being seen.
Just another internet user and anime transbian catgirl dealing with the boring dystopia that is our society. If you were looking for something interesting here, you've come to the wrong place.

My discord is Incendiary__ and you can join my server at https://discord.gg/k2ywUzBAED

Byron_Inc_TBG

Byron eats some apples instead. "Why do I even have so many fruits? I don't remember having them in my inventory."
eh

TotallyNotSeanbobe

Stella finds a book and checks it out. As she leaves the library, she reads the book. When she looks up, she is at the college. "Wait, how long was I reading for? I need to rest." she thinks. Stella begins walking around, unfamiliar with this section of the college.
I am seanbobe.
If I post from this account, the post was likely made from a mobile device. This may lead to errors and briefness.

Byron_Inc_TBG

Quote from: Byron_Inc_TBGByron eats some apples instead. "Why do I even have so many fruits? I don't remember having them in my inventory."
since when is byron in this rp
that post is void

Grayden hears his roommates talk about their project.
"Get a life, man," he said.

(he isn't conscious about it yet)
eh

Blunderbus

Jay packs up his laptop and leaves his office. He's not sure where exactly he wants to work but he just knows it's not his stuffy little office. He can't even open a window because of the temperature outside, and budget's not big enough for air conditioning everywhere. Oh well.

Walking down the hallway he runs into one of the students at the college. He can't remember if she takes his subject though.

TotallyNotSeanbobe

Stella looks up and notices Jay. "Oh, hi! Sorry, but where exactly am I? I got lost walking around."
I am seanbobe.

Blunderbus

"Ah, this is where most of the student accommodation is," Jay replies. "It's also pretty close to the physics faculty, just back that way," he says, pointing to where he came from. "Where are you headed?"

Incendiary

Raven peeks through the vent, noticing Stella and Jay, before moving along and ending up near the library.
"Now" She whispers to herself, "To find some poor human victim."

Byron_Inc_TBG

(aw come on isnt that mystique)

Grayden decided to get some fresh air. "Preferably in a plastic bag," he joked around, "But it must be sealed though."

(if he should get it then one should spawn in front if him)
eh

Incendiary

Quote from: Byron_Inc_TBG(aw come on isnt that mystique)

Grayden decided to get some fresh air. "Preferably in a plastic bag," he joked around, "But it must be sealed though."

(if he should get it then one should spawn in front if him)
No, will you stop with that conspiracy theory?

TotallyNotSeanbobe

Stella responds to Jay. "I was heading home actually. I got lost I guess. I'm a bit distracted after the party yesterday."
I am seanbobe.

Blunderbus

"Ah, okay," Jay replied. "You live off campus? I think there's a train station not too far from here."

TotallyNotSeanbobe

"Alright. I'll go there. And try not to get lost again." Stella walks away. After taking a few steps, Stella suddenly vanishes.
I am seanbobe.

Blunderbus

Jay blinks at where Stella was a second ago.
"...Excuse me?"