Home About Play Contact Wiki Support Chat

Dream Fighter (Page 1) / RPG / Text Based Games Forums
Welcome to the TBG Forums!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

For the best site experience: please use the HTTPS versions of the forums. Your browser should display a padlock in the URL if successful.
You may click on "Forums Home" if you are not already on an HTTPS connection.

#1 2021-May-31  14:14:15

Tymewalk
TBG Team
Website

Dream Fighter

(Thanks to Joyous Theta for help with the idea!)

"Do you understand the conditions of this experiment?"

Dr. Zahner finished explaining to the group. It was a test of a person's abilities during lucid dreaming - a simple concept that had much to reveal. In a first, Dr. Zahner's work would unite multiple people into a single shared dream - something unheard of, until now.

"If you are ready to proceed, please step into your rooms and lie down. The experiment will begin shortly."

Game
The nature of the game makes it hard to explain up front without spoiling things. As new mechanics come up, they will be explained in green text. To demonstrate, I'll explain a mechanic now.

The game, like many others, will be conducted with a d20 to determine roll successes and failures. Buffs and debuffs will be applied based on a character's current status. For example, a roll may look like this:

Alice: 11 + 2 (Ring of Power) - 3 (dazed) = 10

The base roll, or the number rolled by the die, is 11. The Ring of Power gives an extra 2 points to this roll, but Alice being dazed takes 3 points away, making the final roll 10.

Sign-Up Sheet
(This will be you in the dream.)

Name:
Species:
Likes and Dislikes:
Other:

Current Characters

Byron_inc_TBG wrote:

Name: grayden
Appearance: typical asian teen, refer to banner
Species: asian
Dislikes: barre chords, errors, brinjals, calculus, social studies
Other: not to be confused with gradient

IncendiaryGaming wrote:

Name: [Redacted]
Appearance: often very dark, comes from a traumatic past and somehow lived through 300 years of pain. Doesn't actually belong in school, she's just there for some reason. Was born in Russia, has lived in 30 different countries over the years. Naturally thick skin and faster healing speed, often wears a blue camo hoodie and black tight pants. Hair is usually dark purple or red with thick dark purple streaks.
Species: [Redacted]
Dislikes: Annoying people and politics.
Other: [Redacted]

Treehee wrote:

Name: Merlijn
Appearance: 1.95 m tall, greyish blue eyes, brown hair, sort of yellowish skin color.
Species: human
Likes and Dislikes: likes making things and playing with friends, dislikes a lot of things
Other: eh

\// wrote:

Name: Jason
Appearance: Blonde, Blue eyes, white
Species: Human
Likes and Dislikes: Likes bees and dislikes rain
Other: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Tymewalk (2021-Jun-11  10:23:40)

Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | (つo.o)つ Kirby
My RPGs: do you like oreos | Dream Fighter | Insanity RPG

#2 2021-May-31  14:34:48

Byron_Inc_TBG
TBGer
Website

Re: Dream Fighter

signup
https://tbgforums.com/forums/viewtopic. … 15#p554615
im too lazy to copy and paste it

actually no imma just paste it here

name: grayden
appearance: typical asian teen, refer to banner
species: asian
dislikes: barre chords, errors, brinjals, calculus, social studies
other: not to be confused with gradient

costume3.png
school is boring

#3 2021-May-31  14:46:24

Tymewalk
TBG Team
Website

Byron_Inc_TBG wrote:

signup
https://tbgforums.com/forums/viewtopic. … 15#p554615
im too lazy to copy and paste it

actually no imma just paste it here

name: grayden
appearance: typical asian teen, refer to banner
species: asian
dislikes: barre chords, errors, brinjals, calculus, social studies
other: not to be confused with gradient

Accepted.

I'll start when we get around 4-5 players, but that's not a limit.

Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...

#4 2021-May-31  18:52:43

IncendiaryGaming
TBGer
Website

Appearance: Shapeshifter, has no default form.

This is IncendiaryGaming, I enjoy Gaming, sushi and RPing. There isn't much about me. *insert sounds here*
This signature was sponsored by Fortnite, Minecraft, Among Us, Call of Duty, you know what just about any good video game out there (based on my opinion).
Now leave my house or I yeet your cookies. cool
IncendiaryGaming3.png
My discord is IncendiaryGamerX #5243 and my server is located at https://discord.gg/mqmZ8qk

#5 2021-Jun-01  02:39:22

Treehee
TBGer

I know it's frowned upon but I think I'll just self-insert for this one if thats ok.

Appearance: 1.95 m tall, greyish blue eyes, brown hair, sort of yellowish skin color.
Likes and Dislikes: likes making things and playing with friends, dislikes a lot of things

if self-insert is not ok:

Name: Betty
Appearance: pale white fur, has a pink anemone flower behind her ear
Species: unicorn
Likes and Dislikes: likes bloodshed and friendly chatter, dislikes pessimists
Other: psycho horsie go brrr

greetings,

A random laughing tree

I'm a ninja tongue

#6 2021-Jun-01  02:49:41

\\/\/
TBGer

Play Pokemon: a Tale Between Worlds and win a free toaster!*
*conditions would apply
If you want to join P:aTBW but don't know what's going on, find out here.

#7 2021-Jun-01  09:39:16

Tymewalk
TBG Team
Website

IncendiaryGaming wrote:

I'm gonna say no to shapeshifting right off the bat, while I don't mind maybe working it in as a power later on, I think immediate shapeshifting is gonna be a little overpowered to start with.

Treehee wrote:

I know it's frowned upon but I think I'll just self-insert for this one if thats ok.

Both sign-ups look fine. I'm cool with self-inserts as long as it fits with the story (and for a realistic self-insert, I don't see why it wouldn't).

Accepted as Merlijn, but if you'd prefer to switch to Betty before the game starts that's OK too.

\// wrote:

Accepted.

#8 2021-Jun-01  19:14:47

Treehee
TBGer

Tymewalk wrote:
Treehee wrote:

Both sign-ups look fine. I'm cool with self-inserts as long as it fits with the story (and for a realistic self-insert, I don't see why it wouldn't).

Accepted as Merlijn, but if you'd prefer to switch to Betty before the game starts that's OK too.

ugggh such a dilemma. Kinda depends on how wacky the rp is gonna be. If it's kinda serious or extremely wacky i prefer the self insert, if its mildly wacky I prefer Betty.

greetings,

A random laughing tree

I'm a ninja tongue

#9 2021-Jun-02  10:31:53

Tymewalk
TBG Team
Website

Treehee wrote:
Tymewalk wrote:
Treehee wrote:

ugggh such a dilemma. Kinda depends on how wacky the rp is gonna be. If it's kinda serious or extremely wacky i prefer the self insert, if its mildly wacky I prefer Betty.

While I am going to lean into the dreams aspect for some more unrealistic stuff, I'm going to be running it as a serious game, so I think based on that the self-insert would fit what you're looking for.

#10 2021-Jun-02  16:34:40

IncendiaryGaming
TBGer
Website

Tymewalk wrote:
IncendiaryGaming wrote:

I'm gonna say no to shapeshifting right off the bat, while I don't mind maybe working it in as a power later on, I think immediate shapeshifting is gonna be a little overpowered to start with.

[Roblox oof]
Well then her appearance is a self insert from Words of Power, for the time being. Can't be bothered to write up seperate looks.

This is IncendiaryGaming, I enjoy Gaming, sushi and RPing. There isn't much about me. *insert sounds here*
This signature was sponsored by Fortnite, Minecraft, Among Us, Call of Duty, you know what just about any good video game out there (based on my opinion).
IncendiaryGaming3.png
My discord is IncendiaryGamerX #5243 and my server is located at https://discord.gg/mqmZ8qk

#11 2021-Jun-02  17:49:33

Treehee
TBGer

Tymewalk wrote:
Treehee wrote:
Tymewalk wrote:

While I am going to lean into the dreams aspect for some more unrealistic stuff, I'm going to be running it as a serious game, so I think based on that the self-insert would fit what you're looking for.

yep self-insert it is then

greetings,

A random laughing tree

I'm a ninja tongue

#12 2021-Jun-03  13:17:38

Tymewalk
TBG Team
Website

IncendiaryGaming wrote:
Tymewalk wrote:
IncendiaryGaming wrote:

[Roblox oof]
Well then her appearance is a self insert from Words of Power, for the time being. Can't be bothered to write up seperate looks.

This one, right? Assuming you're talking about just the appearance part of the sign-up sheet, then you're good to go.

I'm going to start in a day or two if there's no more signups, but I'll keep signups open for a little bit after starting in case anyone misses it.

#13 2021-Jun-03  18:22:27

IncendiaryGaming
TBGer
Website

Tymewalk wrote:
IncendiaryGaming wrote:
Tymewalk wrote:

[Roblox oof]

This one, right? Assuming you're talking about just the appearance part of the sign-up sheet, then you're good to go.

That's a copy.

IncendiaryGaming3.png

#14 2021-Jun-11  10:42:22

Tymewalk
TBG Team
Website

While this is the first turn, I'm still accepting sign-ups, so feel free to fill out an application and I'll write you in.

After lying down, everyone in the party can feel slightly dizzy as everything fades to black.

Chapter 1: Good Night

--------

Once they wake up again, the world looks strange, almost as if you can't quite focus on any one detail. Slowly but surely though, the world begins to come into focus, and the party can see they are in a large room.

"Hello? Hello, can you hear me?" a voice calls out from nowhere. "This is Dr. Zahner. I hope you can all hear me... from what I'm reading on my end, you should be completely conscious within the dream now."

As Dr. Zahner continues to speak, more of the room comes into detail - the previously blank walls suddenly gain texture, the motionless floor becomes the tile floor they were standing on before they lied down, and the lights from above suddenly gain form as they become lamps, tucked away between the ceiling tiles above.

"You're probably a little confused. Time is hard to pin down in a dream, but you've only really been asleep for... six minutes and thirty-one seconds. It took a little longer than I was expecting, but everything seems to have gone well. We can officially begin the dream portion of the experiment. Take a look at that cabinet over there."

A cabinet, made from metal, rests against the wall next to the party.

"In that cabinet, there should be some supplies to help with the test. There's a few things you can do, of course. You could test the limits of your shared dream, or try messing around with those supplies. There's a little training grounds outside if you want to practice. I don't have too much of an insight into what exactly you're doing, but I can hear you... er, for the most part. So if you have any questions, now would be a good time to ask, before we get started. I'm not sure what will happen to communication between us later in the experiment, but just know I'm monitoring you from the outside."

"Take this time to get acquainted with your surroundings and how the dream works. I'd recommend not thinking about it too hard. There are a few things I'd like to try, to see how they work in a shared dream... but it's a very bad idea to start that if all of you are completely confused."

As the rest of the room finally faded into view, Dr. Zahner stopped speaking.

The room was relatively large, and there was a door to the outside - likely the training grounds Dr. Zahner mentioned. The cabinet sat next to a table, which had four chairs seated around it. Behind them was some sort of poster, although it wasn't very clear what it said - if it said anything at all. There also seemed to be a light switch next to the door, presumably for the overhead lighting.

Last edited by Tymewalk (2021-Jun-11  10:48:02)

#15 2021-Jun-11  13:24:34

Byron_Inc_TBG
TBGer
Website

Grayden seems to have failed in this experiment - he hasn't been conscious yet

Grayden looks at the supplies that can be used.

"Uh, what should we actually do in this room?"

costume3.png
school is boring

#16 2021-Jun-11  16:48:34

IncendiaryGaming
TBGer
Website

[Redacted] looks for weapons or tools inside of the cabinet.

IncendiaryGaming3.png

#17 2021-Jun-12  02:55:35

Treehee
TBGer

I scratch the back of my head. "Huh. Did not expect that to actually work so... what do you-all wanna do?"

greetings,

A random laughing tree

I'm a ninja tongue

#18 2021-Jun-12  03:47:22

\\/\/
TBGer

Jason immediately tries to fly

*conditions would apply

#19 2021-Jun-13  14:54:36

Tymewalk
TBG Team
Website

Byron_Inc_TBG wrote:

Grayden seems to have failed in this experiment - he hasn't been conscious yet

Grayden looks at the supplies that can be used.

"Uh, what should we actually do in this room?"

Grayden takes a look at the supplies.

The drawer looks pretty normal. Inside the drawer are a pickaxe, some pencils and paper, a box of replacement guitar strings, a few paperclips, and some pairs of socks.

IncendiaryGaming wrote:

[Redacted] looks for weapons or tools inside of the cabinet.

Upon first glance, the only thing resembling a weapon seems to be the pickaxe Grayden found. However, after checking a little more, [REDACTED] manages to find a small dagger in a hidden compartment.

\// wrote:

Jason immediately tries to fly

Jason manages to fly, getting a better view of the building from above.

The roof seems to be non-existent - or at least, Jason doesn't hit it. Jason can see the training grounds next to the room they're in, along with some sort of storage room nearby. It's a little hard to make out from this height, but there are definitely a number of extra rooms outside the one they're in.

#20 2021-Jun-13  14:57:16

Byron_Inc_TBG
TBGer
Website

Grayden takes everything he finds in the drawer, and, uh, flies as well?
If he succeeds, he draws a floor plan.

costume3.png
school is boring

#21 2021-Jun-13  22:24:53

Treehee
TBGer

"So we're all just gonna ignore each other then. That's... ugh" I sigh as I roll my eyes. I look up as I talk a bit louder "So is there anything we should be doing or are you just gonna creep on us for no reason". I sound a bit annoyed.

greetings,

A random laughing tree

I'm a ninja tongue

#22 2021-Jun-14  00:22:32

IncendiaryGaming
TBGer
Website

[REDACTED] takes the dagger and pockets it.
"There's not exactly much to do here, besides training."

IncendiaryGaming3.png

#23 2021-Jun-15  03:40:44

\\/\/
TBGer

Jason attempts to manifest a device that puts people into mutual dreams. It's based on that one movie about shared dreams.

*conditions would apply

Board footer