News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

A Guide To GMing

Started by Tymewalk, Jul 31, 2017, 02:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tymewalk

A Guide To GMing
For RPG creators new and old, GMing might be a little intimidating at first. However, it can pay off heavily for some RPGs. This guide will quickly go over how to be a GM.

NOTE: You do not have to follow the structure exactly as in this guide. This is a guide, not a rulebook.

What is a GM?
A GM, or Game Master, is the person who controls rolling dice, NPCs, enemies, etc. They are usually the creator of the topic, and they manage the actions. They usually do not have a character in the RP, but instead control important story-related NPCs.

If you've played table-top RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons, the GM is like the Dungeon Master there.

Why have a GM?
Some games without a GM can tend to get rather off-track, especially ones relying on a large battle or mechanic system. Players can have ridiculously strong attacks, gain items that are overpowered, or inadvertently derail a story.

A GM can regulate this in a few ways:
1) They can deny actions which are overpowered, and/or rebalance them to fit properly
2) They can give items when they player reasonably obtains them (i.e - the Mega-Sword after a long quest)
3) They can cause a new NPC or quest to enter, giving the players direction in the story

Dice can further regulate this, as the element of randomness prevents players from always succeeding, or always failing.

Why should I not use a GM?
Not every RPG requires a GM. If your RPG focuses more on inter-character relations, does not rely heavily on battle, or would not require regulation, then you may wish to not use a GM. Some RPGs, like Walmart War, are centered around battle and work just fine, due to their structure.

How can I use dice?
Lots of RPGs use dice, for various reasons. Some use it as a method of balance, some use it to control certain mechanics, and some use it simply for the random element.

The most common dice in RPGs are d20s and d10s. However, these are not the only dice sizes - many RPGs have used unconventional sizes.

Dice Notation
You'll commonly see rolls in "NdS" format. S is the number of sides of the die, and N is the number rolled.

For example:
1d20 = 4
2d20 = 18, 3
3d10 = 5, 8, 2

Roll Success
A roll's success is determined by how high a number was rolled. For this example, I'll be using a d10, although the same scale applies to d20s.

A 1 is the lowest roll, making it the worst. 5 is average, and 10 is the highest, making it the best.

Some RPGs choose to make 9 the best, and have 10 be an "overshoot", where the action succeeds extremely well, but usually with some consequences. In these cases, 1 usually fails hilariously. Here is an example (with 10 as an overshoot):

GM: There is a large fire on the desk, burning off of papers and machinery.
Player: I take the fire extinguisher, and extinguish the fire.

1: The fire extinguisher itself catches on fire, rendering it unusable.
2: You stumble with the fire extinguisher, spraying the foamy mess all over yourself.
3: The fire extinguisher slips, barely spraying anything on the fire.
4: The fire is put out, but the machinery is soaking wet from the foam.
5: The fire is put out, leaving the machinery covered in some of the foam.
6: The fire is extinguished, revealing the drenched and charred papers.
7: The fire is extinguished, leaving the machinery wet, but still somewhat functioning. The papers, however, were heavily damaged by the fire, and crumble to a wet pile of ash when touched.
8: The fire is extinguished, and the machinery seems to be mostly intact.
9: The fire is thoroughly doused, and the machinery is intact. The papers are lightly singed, but they can still be made out.
10: The fire is sprayed heavily with foam, as well as most of the surrounding items. The entire wall (and everything near it) is now covered in a mixture of ash and foam.

When should I use rolls?
You should most likely use rolls:
1) For actions such as attacks, defense, etc.
Battles are one of the most common and most important uses of rolls.
2) For searching, loot finding, and luck.
A player is granted a random box of loot. Rolling higher numbers means better loot.
3) For skills.
i.e, healing, casting magic, etc.
4) For fun.
Someone climbs a tree? Jokingly roll for their success.

You should most likely not use rolls:
1) For inter-player actions.
Battling or pickpocketing is an exception, but general talking and the like should not be rolled for.
2) For actions guaranteed to fail or work.
If a player obtains the Magic Key, it should always work on the Magic Door. Likewise, a normal key would never work.
3) When a player misunderstands something.
For example - Alice tries to grab the book, but there is no book in this room.
4) For extremely simple actions.
Unless you feel like rolling for fun, or there's some restraint on Alice, there's no reason why she wouldn't be able to walk and talk normally.

What are "buffs"/"debuffs", and how do they relate to rolls?
Buffs and debuffs are positive and negative things that affect a character's rolls. They normally come from skills, physical changes, and the like. RPGs tend to vary these based on their structure - some RPGs may have clearly defined roll buffs, whereas others may give an effect and just add a buff accordingly.

For example, taking a potion of strength might give you a +1 Strength buff, which adds to all your strength rolls while it lasts. Similarly, having your hands chained together might give you a -2 Movement buff.

These alter rolls like so:

Break Door: 1d10 = 6 + 1 = 7
Pickpocket: 1d10 = 5 - 2 = 3

Buffs and debuffs can also be used based on weaknesses. For example, a fire-type Pokémon might get -1 to defense rolls with water-type attacks.

Roll Explanation TL;DR
- Use rolls when actions would need random chance, i.e fights. Don't use rolls when things are obvious, or are between players only (i.e, talking to each other).
- 1 is the worst, 10/20 is the best (some RPGs use d10s and some use d20s, it doesn't matter much)
- Some RPs make the highest possible roll an overshoot which "succeeds too well" (i.e opening a door and breaking it)
- Sometimes you'll get buffs/debuffs which add/subtract to your roll (i.e being tied up means you can't manipulate your lockpicking tools as well, and get -3 to that roll)

How do I structure turns as a GM?
The most popular method is to quote the relevant actions, then write their result. For example:

Quote from: GM
Quote from: Player AAlice takes the strange, glowing orb off of its pedestal.
Alice picks up the orb, and as she touches it, the power seems to flow through her entire body. She gets a rush of energy, and feels like she could take on the world.

Quote from: Player BBob attacks the strange creature, slashing at it with his sword.
Bob: Attack: 1d10 = 8
Creature: Defend: 1d10 = 9

Bob swings his sword down on the creature with all his might, but yet, it still manages to block.

Quote from: Player CCharlie quickly runs out of the collapsing room, grabbing the book in his hands as he runs.
Quote from: Player DDiane quickly tries to untie herself from the pole, and runs out of the collapsing room.
Charlie rushes out of the room.

Diane: Untie Self: 1d10 = 6 - 2 (Tied Up) = 4

Diane quickly unties the tough ropes, and just narrowly makes it out of the room.

Conclusion
I hope this guide helps you in starting off with GMing. If you have any questions, comments, or additions, feel free to reply. Thanks for reading!
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

objecty

omga it is a new guide
pin it or pin will pin it-wait, it's sticky not pinned, and sticky it or sticky it will sticky it does NOT MAKE SENSE
I don't use this website anymore (although I may check in or post occasionally), and have not for a while now. Sincerest apologies if you were wishing to communicate with me.
The vast majority of the things I have posted on here are old, and I regret them extremely. My attitude (i.e. annoyingness level (i.e. very high)) in such posts are (hopefully) not indicative of my current attitude (i.e. probably considerably less annoying). I thank all of my friends from earlier times here for tolerating my ignorance and idiocy.
Thank you.
(Also, I don't normally talk (well, type) like this. I just think it's fun. Bye.)

CellularData

How to GM in 2 easy steps:
1. G
2. M
(insert something fun here)

TBGs motto of 2018: let's not die please

Ash_TBG

This should be stickied.
I like Eddsworld, TomSka, Sailor Moon, and Sci-fi shows. Need I say more?
Also, look at this or fall beneath my army of giant robots >:3
https://tbgforums.com/forums/index.php?topic=4864
"Jeg liker ost" -Ash 2018 Run it through google translate if you want, the language is Norwegian.

Dino

Tymewalk

Quote from: jji10dino[removed - not an rpg]
Coming Soon: A Guide To GMing

The RPG
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Dino

Quote from: Tymewalk
Quote from: jji10dino[removed - not an rpg]
Coming Soon: A Guide To GMing

The RPG
oh noh

CellularData

Quote from: jji10dinonoh
noh itz fine

Dino

Quote from: epicanna27
noh itz fine
you dropped this: oh

CellularData

Quote from: jji10dino
noh itz fine
you dropped this: oh
noh itz fine

Tymewalk

Hopefully the wall of text dice part wasn't too bad, because previously it did not have a TL;DR (which I just added). :P

the2000

not very useful for me :P, I always run weird and wacky things that don't take themselves too seriously like tUUGS because I think my plot ideas are cheesy. therefore, Mary Sues only make the whole thing just as fun as a cataquack. there might be some plot coming up in tUUGS but nothing too deep (perhaps the host's problems or something)
wasteof - the game of joining the game continues

<-- This is my friend dan. we are good chums
DAN FACT OF THE DAY: dan can only count to six on his hands

Tymewalk

Quote from: the2000not very useful for me :P, I always run weird and wacky things that don't take themselves too seriously like tUUGS because I think my plot ideas are cheesy. therefore, Mary Sues only make the whole thing just as fun as a cataquack. there might be some plot coming up in tUUGS but nothing too deep (perhaps the host's problems or something)
GMs can be used in silly situations, if that's what you're talking about. Insanity and DAoN both do it.

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

Why isn't this stickied?
j u m b l e !

Currently listening to: Lemaitre - 1:18

Rekekka

Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

We now have 3 guides for GMing stickied.
What do we do?
j u m b l e !

CellularData

Quote from: 8435.5We now have 3 guides for GMing stickied.
What do we do?
Use all of them to learn how to be a good GM, many people on here could benefit from learning that

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

Quote from: 8435.5We now have 3 guides for GMing stickied.
What do we do?
Use all of them to learn how to be a good GM, many people on here could benefit from learning that
you're gonna say me right
j u m b l e !

the2000

Scratch what I said about not needing it much, I'm not gonna be a happy customer review or anything, but seriously, there's no real way without it. I use dice rolling a bit in tUUGS, and I mean, my game is a game show, and I'm the game show host.
wasteof - the game of joining the game continues

<-- This is my friend dan. we are good chums
DAN FACT OF THE DAY: dan can only count to six on his hands

Tymewalk

All right, I've just cut down on some of the fluff, hopefully that makes the guide a little better. It is a sticky now, and has to be held to a standard :lol:

Epicness123

au
tbger since 2013