News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Ice and Rot

Started by Dark, Nov 12, 2019, 09:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark

You remember your world.
A world of metal, glass, and light.
You remember the jets scudding across the sky, and the towering buildings that rise heavenwards to meet them.
You remember your name. You had a home, once. A family. But their faces are no more than shadows and fog. Only your name remains.
You remember the bustle of the city, the noise of millions of lives overlapping and intertwining.
You do not remember how they ended. You do not remember how it came to pass that this world of life and light died, or how it was replaced by this frozen, poisoned waste.

You remember your name. You cling to it, the last remaining bond that connects the you that used to be and the you that awakens now, lying on a bed of cold metal.
You rise, prying the oxygen mask from your face and the needles from your veins. There are others nearby. Perhaps you know them. You cannot remember. They are confused, as you are. Alive, as you are.

So many questions. So few answers. Who are you? Where are you? Who are these unfortunate souls that share your fate? How long have you slept? What reality exists of those dreams that disturbed your slumber, of a world perishing in ice and rot?

What is that unfamiliar flicker in your chest, that faint spark of cold flame in the core of your being? Why, when you touch your sternum, does your nail click as if striking metal?

And how do you get out of here?

#########################################

Post-apocalyptic sci-fantasy.

Using d20 for rolls.

Accepting 3-5 characters. I don't expect more, but in such an event a waitlist will be created in case anyone meets an untimely demise.

Characters

Format

Name:
Approximate Age:
Physical Appearance:
Favourite colour:
Greatest Fear:
Country of Origin:
     (Keeping in mind that as of 2281 meteor impacts have rendered Mongolia and parts of northern China uninhabitable)
Other:

Quote from: seanbobeName: Sage
Approximate Age: 25
Physical Appearance: Wears a blue cloak, has green eyes and black hair.
Favourite colour: Purple
Greatest Fear: Fire
Country of Origin: Canada
Other: Sage was a pharmacist before everything went wrong.
Quote from: TheLastDinoName: Lauri
Approximate Age: 12
Physical Appearance: Male. Shortly cut blonde hair with grey-green eyes. Tall and slim for his age.
Favourite colour: All of them, but if he had to pick, probably green.
Greatest Fear: Astraphobia, fear of thunder and lightning.
Country of Origin: Finland
Other: Dislikes nectarines.
Quote from: FaressainName: Trotkojew
Approximate Age: 36
Physical Appearance: Male, officially clothed with black full set of tuxedo, has a dark hair that seems like your generic american judge one. Or the french hairstyle, your call.
Favourite colour: Gray
Greatest Fear: Fear of spiders and fear of seas.
Country of Origin: Ukraine
Other: He was a lawyer, albeit a bit corrupt.

Any questions?
Date registered: Apr 17, 2013, 06:27:41 AM

Seanbobe

Name: Sage
Approximate Age: 25
Physical Appearance: Wears a blue cloak, has green eyes and black hair.
Favourite colour: Purple
Greatest Fear: Fire
Country of Origin: Canada
Other: Sage was a pharmacist before everything went wrong.
My joke RPG: Instructions Unclear: The RPG of Memes
My serious RPG: Stop the Spambots!
My offline life: error 404

Dino

Name: Lauri
Approximate Age: 12
Physical Appearance: Male. Shortly cut blonde hair with grey-green eyes. Tall and slim for his age.
Favourite colour: All of them, but if he had to pick, probably green.
Greatest Fear: Astraphobia, fear of thunder and lightning.
Country of Origin: Finland
Other: Dislikes nectarines.

Dark

Both accepted. Waiting for, ideally, 2-3 more characters.

Faressain

I don't see why shouldn't I join with someone.

Name: Trotkojew
Approximate Age: 36
Physical Appearance: Male, officially clothed with black full set of tuxedo, has a dark hair that seems like your generic american judge one. Or the french hairstyle, your call.
Favourite colour: Gray
Greatest Fear: Fear of spiders and fear of seas.
Country of Origin: Ukraine
Other: He was a lawyer, albeit a bit corrupt.
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Dark

Dark

Starting with the current character list. Admissions remain open.

The room is dark, cold, clinical, and empty. A few medical instruments are scattered here and there, all covered with a thin layer of dust and...what is that? Snow? It's definitely cold enough to be snow.
Three people lie on hospital beds along the rear wall. One of them is you. They'd be very comfortable beds if they weren't slowly giving you hypothermia. You exhale, and a cloud of vapour rises to the roof. A single halogen lamp flickers there, the last survivor of six.

One by one, the beds are vacated. A young teenage boy, a dark-haired figure swathed in a blue cloak, and a well-dressed man in his mid thirties stand up and test out their long-ignored legs. No atrophy, at least. Maybe you actually haven't been unconscious that long? Something tells you otherwise. Maybe it's the dust.

Three doors lead out of the room. All made of metal, protected by nonfunctional keypads. One is shut tight. Both others are open. From the left door, a cold breeze blows steadily. The right door is dark and quiet.

Sage

Healthy

Inventory:
Blue cloak
Lauri

Healthy

Inventory:
Trotkojow

Healthy

Inventory:
Black tuxedo

Seanbobe

Sage goes to check the closed door for a window or other way to see what is on the other side.

Faressain

- "You understand that it's locked, right?" A voice of the well-dressed man was heard. - "I thought so. I think I will look in the dark room, but not enter it yet, you know, reasons. It might seem shady." - He then only perked into the dark room. - "Well, splitting is bad, so ideas where we should go first?"

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Dino

Lauri stares at the other two.

"Who are you two? Why are we here?" He says, carefully taking a few steps using his rusty legs.

Faressain

"Seems like there's one curious youth." - Trotkojew spoke slowly, yet clearly for a man at his age. - "The case of the forthcoming is not clear. However, I can only reveal my name, the one I cling to. Trotkojew."

Dark

Sage moves over to the closed door. A small rectangular pane of glass is set into the steel at eye level, and Sage uses a sleeve to wipe away the layer of grime that covers it. Beyond the door is a dark hallway, illuminated only intermittently by flashing red emergency lights. At the far end it opens into another room, but Sage can't see anything else from here.

Trotkojew peeks into the door on the right. The room on the other side is similar to the one they're in now, but larger and without any beds or confused occupants. In the brief flicker of a failing lamp, Trotkojew locks eyes with a human skull lying on the floor. The rest of the skeleton - all gray with age - rests nearby.

Lauri takes a few steps. Though initially difficult, he soon finds his legs working as usual. Any problems seem to be purely psychological.

Seanbobe

While walking over to examine the door with cold air, Sage responds to the kid's question. "I'm Sage. That's all I remember. Who are you?"

Dino

"I-I'm Lauri! Wait no, I shouldn't tell strangers my name! I'm, uh, Adolf! But I don't want to share a name with Hitler!" Lauri says loudly, before pausing. "Jyri is good, I guess. Either way, it's definitely not Lauri!"

Dark

Sage steps over a toppled IV stand to examine the doorway on the left. The faint wind blowing past the open door isn't just cold, it's freezing - definitely below zero. Braving the cold, Sage peers inside.

Past the door is a short hallway, floor covered in snow and roof dripping with icicles. At the other end is another door, but this one is covered in rust and...dents. Heavy impacts from the far side have deformed the plate metal, and it seems to be barely standing.

The cold wind and bright light that flood the hallway seem to be coming from a rusty metal grate in the roof, midway down the tunnel. In the pale yellow light, something else catches Sage's eye: A metal object, half-buried in the snow. Torpedo shaped and about six inches long, gleaming dorsal and tailfins give the impression of a mechanical fish.

Faressain

"Okay, so the way I've seen has clearly a skeleton of a dead. But maybe it'll be worth checking. I don't know what's in the other way, did anyone check it?"

Dino

"I think, uh, Saye is checking the other way. Saye? Or was it Sate?" Lauri scratches his head thoughtfully, "Either way, I'm not checking, it's scary!"

TotallyNotSeanbobe

"This path is frozen over and there is something buried in the snow. It appears to be a robotic fish of some kind. It looks like someone went through here before. The door is beat up and there is an open grate letting cold air in. Anyway, all I could see in the locked door is some red lights and another door."
I am seanbobe.
If I post from this account, the post was likely made from a mobile device. This may lead to errors and briefness.

Faressain

"Okay, my way seems to be mundane. A skull wouldn't catch that much attention from others... and it's Sage, Lauri. We will go their hallway, since I don't want to leave a child scared, don't I?" - He understood that Lauri would have developed a trauma over the skeleton. And that's why he chose that pathway and not the one leading to weathered skeleton.

Dark

Trotkojew steps into the frozen hallway. Though his tuxedo is woefully inadequate for the frigid air that washes over him, he advances to the end of the hallway and examines the dented door. It's in rough shape, mangled and rusted, but still on its hinges. It's unlocked, too - seems to open outwards. Trotkojew pushes the heavy steel panel open a few inches and peers through the crack.

On the other side is another room, something like an office or reception. Overturned desks and corroded metal objects are scattered everywhere, many lying at the base of the walls as if thrown against them. In the dust that covers the floor Trotkojew can see footprints. Whatever made the prints had three toes, each as large as his forearm, ending with claws or talons. A giant ostrich? Whatever it was, the beast is long gone; a layer of dust has already settled into the prints.

A steel trunk lies upside-down on the far side of the room, split open at the hinges. He can see what appears to be rubber inside.

Dino

Lauri cautiously follows Trotkojew, before staring at the footprint.

"Oh! Oh! I know what made that! It's a, uh, yume! Or was it an emu? Something like that! My teacher said there are huuuuuge birds on Earth, and they leave huuuuuge footprints, like this!" He excitedly hops from one foot to the other.

Seanbobe

Sage follows the others. "I'm not sure what that is, but it might still be around. We should probably be more cautious to check for anything dangerous when we continue."

Faressain

- "All right. So, let's see. A birdlike beast... a chaos indeed. Even if we're cautious, what it'll do in long run? If we can't defend by fists, should we check the trunk? I'm gonna first check these desks and objects. Lauri, I know you're young, but... this is serious matter." - Trotkojew goes to see, what it was in these desks, or what are these metal objects, while checking for dangers too.

Dark

Trotkojew cautiously pushes open the door and peruses the room. There isn't much left to find - everything is broken, shattered, or just rusted beyond recognition. He recognizes a stapler, an electric pencil sharpener, a box of broken syringes, and a corroded belt buckle. The broken trunk is in better shape than the rest of the furniture, and he can see what's inside: They resemble wetsuits, but much thinner, made of rubber barely as thick as denim. Black and indigo, veined with some sort of wire or pipe. A device of some kind is set into the waist, where the piping converges. From what he can tell, there appears to be five such suits in the trunk.

Sage and Lauri follow into the room, leaving a trail in the dust and snow. Aside from the trunk and debris, they can see three different ways out of the room: A door to the left, a door to the right, and a staircase straight ahead. The doors are both open, and the staircase leads upwards.

The massive footprints are scattered around the room, appearing to have descended the staircase, wandered around and assaulted the door, and then eventually left back up the staircase.

Dino

Lauri peeks at the wetsuits from around Trotkojew's shoulder - or rather, lower arm.

"I wonder if they fit me," he says, struggling to pick one up and pull it out of the trunk.