News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Apocalypse

Started by Wordweaver, Jun 07, 2019, 09:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wordweaver

The sky turns red. Bright white dots fall to the ground and expand into massive pillars of white, explosions that rip apart entire districts of the City. The earth shakes from the force of the impact, and from other things. tremors ripple up from underneath the ground as, unbeknownst to all but a few, the Buried Ones finally emerge from their slumber.

The living run and hide. The dead walk among them, in suits of tattered flesh and bone. They speak of the end in rasping voices. It is here, as foretold. The Ever-City will burn. The world will die, and all who stay will perish.

It is time for you to flee. You must find some way to escape, a portal or skyship that will take you away from this wretched place. It is the only way to survive.

---------------------------------

Rules:

This is a GM'd game. I will roll a twenty-sided die to determine the results of actions. There are things that may modify these dice rolls, but generally you won't have to worry too much about the mechanics beyond knowing whether you're good or bad at something.

While there will be some magic and other supernatural phenomena, you're mostly limited to actions that would be possible in real life. Obviously, if you have a wand of fireballs or something, feel free to use that.

Fair warning: I will be writing turns for this as quickly as possible. There may be typos and such.

----------------------------------

Character Sheet:

(EDIT: Character submissions are now closed).

Name: What I call you. Keep it short, keep it pronounceable.
Description: What you look like. You're human, but green hair or noselessness or whatever is fine.

Relic:

Something unique and powerful. No two people can have the same relic - first come, first served. The game stops accepting new characters once the final relic has been claimed.

Choose from the following list:

A rose that drips with blood.

A book filled with odd diagrams.

A prophetic dream.

A featureless ivory mask.

A voice in your head.

A smudged mirror.

A dagger that rings like a gong.
As above, so below.

Wordweaver

Players:

Quote from: TheLastDinoName: Normus
Description: Green iris and white pupil. Left eye has been destroyed following accident during the rising of the Buried Ones, and most of the left side of his face has scarring of varying strength and size. Of average build, not being particularly muscular nor tall.
Relic: A featureless ivory mask

Quote from: seanbobeName: Sally
Description: A teenage boy with bright pink hair. Wears a blue jacket and a yellow backpack. Somewhat skinny.
Relic: A rose that drips with blood.

Quote from: JayfeatherName: Azalea
Description: Teenage girl with purple hair and blue eyes. 5'6" (168 mm). Usually is wearing a red skirt with shorts. Wears sandals on her feet.
Relic: A dagger that rings like a gong.

Quote from: ChildGamerName: Kathryn (hey look a relatively common version of that name)
Description: brown hair somehow held up naturally. no other unique features, aside from minty green eyes.
Relic: Mirror

Quote from: DarkName: Robb
Description: Young man with longish hair, streaked with far too many gray hairs for one of his age. Said hair is lightly singed in various places. Poorly-healed burns cover the right half of his jaw and part of his neck, along with a series of fresher sears on his arms. A strange fascination with fire, which he often can be found holding seemingly onesided conversations with.
Relic: A voice in your head

Quote from: CrazeePiName: Hadden
Description: A long haired average height man wearing robes. Used to be a librarian before he found out about the Buried Ones and started to study them so much that he eventually lost his job. Does not get much sleep, making them very jumpy.
Relic: Book

Quote from: TymewalkName: Kyle
Description: Tan skin, somewhat tall. Black eyes, red hair, tied up with a band. Has a dark red headband around his forehead.
Relic: A prophetic dream
As above, so below.

Dino

Name: Normus
Description: Green iris and white pupil. Left eye has been destroyed following accident during the rising of the Buried Ones, and most of the left side of his face has scarring of varying strength and size. Of average build, not being particularly muscular nor tall.
Relic: A featureless ivory mask

Seanbobe

Name: Sally
Description: A teenage boy with bright pink hair. Wears a blue jacket and a yellow backpack. Somewhat skinny.
Relic: A rose that drips with blood.
My joke RPG: Instructions Unclear: The RPG of Memes
My serious RPG: Stop the Spambots!
My offline life: error 404

Prism

Name: Azalea
Description: Teenage girl with purple hair and blue eyes. 5'6" (168 mm). Usually is wearing a red skirt with shorts. Wears sandals on her feet.
Relic: A dagger that rings like a gong.
she/her | hyper-obsessed Pokémon fan | Necrozma and Zoroark my beloveds

join Fragmented Future to forget that fairy types are immune to dragon-type moves

Karanrimé

Name: Kathryn (hey look a relatively common version of that name)
Description: brown hair somehow held up naturally. no other unique features, aside from minty green eyes.
Relic: Mirror
The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

Dark

Name: Robb
Description: Young man with longish hair, streaked with far too many gray hairs for one of his age. Said hair is lightly singed in various places. Poorly-healed burns cover the right half of his jaw and part of his neck, along with a series of fresher sears on his arms. A strange fascination with fire, which he often can be found holding seemingly onesided conversations with.
Relic: A voice in your head
Date registered: Apr 17, 2013, 06:27:41 AM

Joyous Theta

Name: Hadden
Description: A long haired average height man wearing robes. Used to be a librarian before he found out about the Buried Ones and started to study them so much that he eventually lost his job. Does not get much sleep, making them very jumpy.
Relic: Book

Tymewalk

Name: Kyle
Description: Tan skin, somewhat tall. Black eyes, red hair, tied up with a band. Has a dark red headband around his forehead.
Relic: A prophetic dream
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Wordweaver

You run through the City's cobblestone streets. People throng around you, just barely visible in the red twilight. It doesn't take long for the screaming masses of humanity to turn on one another. They fight over resources, defensible positions, even perceived insults. Someone is trampled underfoot because they aren't running fast enough. In the corner of your eye you even see groups who are fighting for no reason at all. They slash each other with kitchen knives and shards of broken glass, foaming at the mouth.

Howls echo through the streets, and so you run until you're too breathless to keep moving. When you stop you're in a large courtyard, big enough to house hundreds of people. Instead the crowd is thinner here, and corpses with broken necks litter the ground. Some of those corpses are moving. They whisper with broken vocal chords, and tell you about a demon they call the Hangman. You see something pale in the corner of your eye, and another person falls to the ground.

You back away. A group of six other people surround you. Some of them are carrying strange objects. Others have a spark of something unusual in their eye, something beyond mortal ken. Only one of you is holding a weapon.

The Hangman turns on you. It's a human with skin so pale that you can see the organs pulsing underneath. Instead of fingers it has long tentacles, thick enough that they must be able to snap a spine with ease.

Corpses hiss beneath your feet. Kill it, they say. Avenge us. We will tell you a way to escape.
As above, so below.

Seanbobe

I look around for something that can be used as a weapon.

Karanrimé

Kathryn shoves Azalea forwards, noting her dagger is the only way to effectively kill something.

Kathryn makes no other motion or statement, except an internal flex to try not to take any hits

[under construction]

;

Hollyleaf

Azalea slashes at the Hangman with the dagger.
mmmmmmmm i don't use this account anymore so oof, pls see @Squirrelflight instead

Dark

Robb scans the surrounding area, looking for a potential weapon - a knife, a club, a rock, even. He keeps as much distance as possible between himself and the Hangman while doing so.

Dino

Normus keeps his single eye on the monster. He can't spare any of his attention to look for weapons when he doesn't really have a peripheral vision, after all. Instead, he readies himself to shout warnings if the monster strikes at any of the people searching for weapons.

Joyous Theta

Hadden decides he's not dealing with this spine crushing hangman guy or all these other weirdos so he continues running.

Wordweaver

((Ha! You thought this game wasn't going to start! You called me mad! Well I'll prove you wrong! This game WILL run. Starting now! MWAHAHAHAHA!

In all seriousness, I got swamped with schoolwork n' stuff. Sorry about that. Would still like to run this though.))

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: seanbobeI look around for something that can be used as a weapon.
Quote from: DarkRobb scans the surrounding area, looking for a potential weapon - a knife, a club, a rock, even. He keeps as much distance as possible between himself and the Hangman while doing so.
Quote from: TheLastDinoNormus keeps his single eye on the monster. He can't spare any of his attention to look for weapons when he doesn't really have a peripheral vision, after all. Instead, he readies himself to shout warnings if the monster strikes at any of the people searching for weapons.

Sally: 9
Robb: 13 , 16 vs Hangman: 2

Sally and Robb scan the ground for weapons. There isn't much in the courtyard, other than the corpses, but there are still a few things that would make decent weapons. Sally feels around until he finds a loose cobblestone, which he then pries out of the ground. It's not a real club, but it does have some heft to it. Perhaps enough heft to bash a monster's head in.

Robb searches the bodies. One of the dead men has a knife on his belt, albeit not one as nice as what Azelea is carrying. The presence in the back of his mind stirs. Right now the voice is deep and echoing, like distant thunder.

Sharp, don't you think? You should draw blood. Maybe your own blood. Or it could do that for you.

Just then, Normus points at the ground and shouts something about the Hangman. A tentacle snaps up and flies towards Robb, who sidesteps it with almost uncanny ease.

Quote from: ChildGamerKathryn shoves Azalea forwards, noting her dagger is the only way to effectively kill something.

Kathryn makes no other motion or statement, except an internal flex to try not to take any hits
Quote from: HollyleafAzalea slashes at the Hangman with the dagger.

Azelea: 19 vs. Hangman: 12

Azelea stumbles forwards, away from Kathryn's outstretched arms. She draws her dagger and swings it across the Hangman's chest, leaving behind a line of torn skin. A terrible ringing sound echoes through the plaza when the blade makes contact. None of the humans seem to be affected by the sound, but for some reason the monster that Azelea attacked is driven to its knees.

The tendrils that were poised to snap towards her recoil instead, drawn back to cover the Hangman's ears. The gash on its chest is still clearly visible, but doesn't seem to be bleeding.

Quote from: CrazeePiHadden decides he's not dealing with this spine crushing hangman guy or all these other weirdos so he continues running.

Hadden: 6

The Hangman seems suitably distracted by the sound of Azelea's dagger, so Hadden rushes past him and directly out of the plaza. There are more screaming crowds around him now, albeit with slightly less violence than he noticed before. The men with frothing mouths must not have gotten here yet.

Two of the passerby are running together, at a dead sprint. One of them is holding a folded piece of paper in their hands.
As above, so below.

Karanrimé

Kathryn pulls her mirror out and shows its face to the Hangman

[under construction]

;

Dark

Robb nods. "As ye wills it."
He cuts a thin line into his forearm with the knife.
"Would that this offering pleases thee. Though thinketh not there mightst be a better occasion?"

Seanbobe

I grab my stone with one hand and my rose with the other. I let the rose drip blood on the stone, which I am prepared to bash any monster that comes too close with.

Wordweaver

Quote from: ChildGamerKathryn pulls her mirror out and shows its face to the Hangman

Hangman: 11 vs Kathryn: 5

As Azalea backs away from the Hangman, Kathryn steps in front of her and takes out her mirror. Normally only the vague outlines of shapes are visible in its smudged glass, but when she turns it towards the monster she glimpses a more defined shape form in the glass. There's a green, pulsing organ in the center of the Hangman's reflection, roughly in the center of its chest. It's is so clearly visible in the mirror that Kathryn can see droplets of pus oozing from it, but in reality there seems to be nothing of the sort.

The Hangman swings one of its hands at her. She slaps a few of its tentacle-fingers away by swinging the mirror, but one wraps around her upper arm.

Quote from: DarkRobb nods. "As ye wills it."
He cuts a thin line into his forearm with the knife.
"Would that this offering pleases thee. Though thinketh not there mightst be a better occasion?"

Robb uses the knife to cut his own forearm. A thin stream of blood runs down his hand, and the voice is silent for a long moment. Then a single droplet of blood falls onto the ground. It soaks into the cobblestones instantly, as if it had been wicked up by a piece of cloth. The earth shakes a little.

You did it. You actually did it. Fool.

Robb feels a slight stiffness in his body, beginning in his feet and crawling upwards until it reaches his scalp. There's something wrong with his skin. He taps his palm, experimentally, and hears a sharp clicking sound. The movement is slower than it should be.

Quote from: seanbobeI grab my stone with one hand and my rose with the other. I let the rose drip blood on the stone, which I am prepared to bash any monster that comes too close with.

Hangman: 19 vs. Sally: 20

Sally holds his rose over the cobblestone until several drops of blood have splashed down onto the rock. Then The Hangman extends an arm towards him, so he ducks underneath the monster's fingers, runs towards it, and smashes his improvised weapon into its head.

There's less resistance than he expected. The skull caves in underneath Sally's blow, and the Hangman falls prone. There's a massive dent on the top of its head, where it took the impact. The wound doesn't bleed, but the creature is so still that it clearly must be dead.

The rose twitches slightly. It nudges Sally's hand towards the corpse, where it lies sprawled out on the ground.

------------------------------------------

One of the broken-necked corpses opens its mouth. It says that there is a laboratory on the other side of the city, on Ironwood Street, where clerics kept the fingerbones of a saint. The bearer of the relic can open paths into other worlds.
As above, so below.

Karanrimé

Kathryn shakes the numb tentacle off her arm before opening into a sprint towards the lab.

"The cool mirror is cool but I want to not die first," Kathryn thought as if mentally forced to explain herself.

[under construction]

;

Seanbobe

I carefully allow the rose to drip blood on the guy who just cut himself, while standing far enough away to jump back if anything unexpected happens.

Joyous Theta

Hadden looks over at the two men, steps back a little, and says "Huh? Who are you?"