News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

The Prince, The Pokemon and The Journey, the long wanted 1x1 RP

Started by Faressain, Jul 14, 2018, 07:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faressain

An 1x1 that really needed to exist in TBGs. This is a private session with Tymewalk.

Chaos. Journey through unknown worlds. These words mark the adventure... but this time, a different one.

Let's go back a bit to 2018, though.

In Earth, there were two, common TBGers. One of them was called Thartler... well, nickname of him, anyway. He was Polish and clothed well... rarely, due to intense heat. He often was playing video games, and doing some unproductive stuff. At the point, when he was trying to make the Melee a Trois roleplay, an assassin, of unknown name, forcefully opened the door to the house. Thartler could only send an incomplete roleplay, before an assassin, with blue eyes, black eyes, light skin and clothed in purple, killed Thartler. Before he could die... really, that's just 5 seconds. He honestly couldn't do anything else than try to curse him to damnation. He couldn't, the vocal cord being twisted, and so, neck too.

Some time later, a moderator of the website, Tymewalk, noticed the strange activity in forums. One of messages were: "Rest in peace, man... whoever murdered you... is a twisted evil demon." Of course, it contained profanity... but, it was made by Floofy as well. Tymewalk decided to remove that post, before the similar assassin knocked gently into the door. This one however, was centrainly disquised as the pizza delivery man, unrecognizable even by moderator (and a lot different than the one who killed Faressain). The assassin recieved the payment that was supposed to be on real pizza boy. Furthermore, the mother didn't know which piece is poisoned. She apparently placed the poisoned pizza piece on Tymewalk's plate, while she got herself the non-poisoned part. Tymewalk in chat was announcing that he'll be back...

After eating it, he suddenly felt really sickly, and mother couldn't do anything but see how her child, nicknamed Tymewalk (who was American and often had clothes in), dies in agony. Some time later, skyline was to know why Tymewalk wasn't online for a month. Upon seeing the chat session, he... just felt bad for the dead, and decided to simply lock out the accounts of these two TBGers, and made the funeral topics too (Farewell, Thartler and Farewell, Tymewalk).

Wait, this is NOT the proper part yet!

Sometime in unspecified past, a Prince has been born. (Tymewalk has free hand to call the Prince with a name and proper backlore, I'm not going onto that further, other than how he'd find the egg and appear into different worlds). After being trained to use swords and finishing twenty one years, he suddenly... disappeared from the castle.

And then he appeared there, in the world of myths. The myths were mostly creatures, although some buildings were mythical too. It was intensely magical to say at least. In the proximity, lied medium, somewhat soft and grassy in touch, yet scaly, egg. Further research to it shown that it was cold, but not dead-cold. Simply neglected-cold. Once more the Prince has teleported... with the egg in his hands.

Apparently, they are both in the seemingly futuristic room. Seemingly, since it was mostly abandoned... about 15 or 20 years ago. Now, the prince, and his eventual sidekick will need to traverse. Of course, the Prince would want to go home, but would whatever hatches from egg get approved by community? Or would it ever approve this?

Self-imposed 1x1 rules (Tymewalk may also make ones, these aren't the ones Tymewalk needs to obey, though, but these are also for roleplay integrity):
1. Do not curse. Really, I might get a warning by that.
2. Keep it only to first-person for my character (Tymewalk does not need to)
3. Whatever would the assassins be, they're far, far away, perhaps a lot of universes away.
4. At least one paragraph of text must be written. Exception: If it is not possible to do that without breaking the RP's structure.
5. Stay true to the age. The egg can't act by itself, so I need to wait till it decided to hatch.
6.Whatever I do, I shouldn't make my own character perfect, however, it should cover at least one flaw of the Prince and have at least one flaw covered by him.
7. I can't talk with the Prince. My vocal cords, first. Second, no real dexterity on my 'hands'. However, whatever will Prince call me, it will be my name.

Flashbacks to our past TBGer lifes are optional, but welcome.

Sometimes, Discord can be a place where lore can be discussed by either of us (Tymewalk and me, Thartler).

The Characters:

Tymewalk (The Prince)
Name: Navden Hemsson
Kingdom/Dynasty: The Kingdom of Hárfjall, the Dynasty of Hundematur
Appearance: Blond and pale-skinned. Has a thick beard. Likes to wear heavy fur coats.
Skills: Good with hand-to-hand combat and using melee weapons. Not very skilled in using long-range weapons, such as bows and arrows. Has basic knowledge of cooking meats. Skilled in blacksmithing and metalworking. Understands the basics of running a kingdom, although only very basic knowledge, as his training was interrupted by being transported here.
Personality: Friendly and caring, yet cautious and defensive. Assumes good faith, yet is very cautious around unknown people or things.
Backstory: Hailing from the Kingdom of Hárfjall, a snowy land to the north, Navden was set to become king once his father, Hemsk Lejason, stepped down when he felt he could no longer rule, as was tradition. At the age of 19, he began his training, in preparation for the day Hemsk gave up his crown and throne.
Inventory: Currently wearing a large fur coat. Also carrying some dried jerky in a pouch, a few metal coins, and his trusty axe, Haminfera.
Other: None.

Thartler (The Pokemon)
Name: Not named yet.
Species: Snivy (be creative on calling this one, Tymewalk, you know nothing about it's species, I think.)
Personality: Once he hatches from egg, he'd be really playful and naive. Not only that, it'll be hungry very fast. Of course, most things will affect his personality, like how the Prince would treat him, or the environment. It's quite likely for it to become loyal to The Prince, though..
Appearance: The shell of the egg was made of grass scales. He is a little shiny Snivy, with quad-ended leaf on his tail,somewhat longer jiggles on it's neck, as well as characteristic three-fingered feet. (He's made like quapedral, but can stand on two, actually, but not until he grows up somehow. When he's standing, the other two limbs can be used to latch on walls or... maybe most stuff over time?)
(Maturity rate: One human day equals 11 Pokemon days (one Pokemon year equals in average 1 month and 3 days of human lifespan)
Average evolution rate: Evolves every 6 months, while shedding skin intensely 1 month before evolution, to become Serperior after 1 human year.
Matures after: 1 human year, on all evolutions.
Average lifespan, assuming no evolution: 6 years.
Average evolution lifespan: 7 years on Servine, 12 on Serperior.
Reincarnation of: Thartler)
Other:Might often get nightmares about the past incarnation's death from assassin hand. Had already hatched around 10 minutes ago. Any lifespan year is shown in HUMAN years, not Pokemon years. (He'd live ~66 pokemon years as Snivy, ~77 as Servine and ~132 as Serperior)
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Fishmael

(Wouldn't 1x1s be more suited for the MFG section? Even if it is just one file?)
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Faressain

Quote from: frishy(Wouldn't 1x1s be more suited for the MFG section? Even if it is just one file?)

Yeah, not for one file, though (and this 1x1 is made to be only for Tymewalk and me.). Plus too much for a hassle for GM to keep track of 7 alternate versions.

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Faressain

I'm bumping tis' topic, if it doesn't start before my nickname is changed to Itaku, I'll change the reincarnation of field and some backstory.

Tymewalk

Name: Navden Hemsson
Kingdom/Dynasty: The Kingdom of Hárfjall, the Dynasty of Hundematur
Appearance: Blond and pale-skinned. Has a thick beard. Likes to wear heavy fur coats.
Skills: Good with hand-to-hand combat and using melee weapons. Not very skilled in using long-range weapons, such as bows and arrows. Has basic knowledge of cooking meats. Skilled in blacksmithing and metalworking. Understands the basics of running a kingdom, although only very basic knowledge, as his training was interrupted by being transported here.
Personality: Friendly and caring, yet cautious and defensive. Assumes good faith, yet is very cautious around unknown people or things.
Backstory: Hailing from the Kingdom of Hárfjall, a snowy land to the north, Navden was set to become king once his father, Hemsk Lejason, stepped down when he felt he could no longer rule, as was tradition. At the age of 19, he began his training, in preparation for the day Hemsk gave up his crown and throne.
Inventory: Currently wearing a large fur coat. Also carrying some dried jerky in a pouch, a few metal coins, and his trusty axe, Haminfera.
Other: None.
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Faressain

Yeah, so we start now, but since I'm not ready to hatch my character yet (I'll do it next turn), I'll start with surroundings instead, and time as well.

It was somewhat pleasantly warm place. Maybe the room was seeming futuristic enough, but rust that gathered around the corners, due to access to oxygen, suggested that the place was abandoned after all. Lights weren't working, for at least a lot of time, but some light was getting into the room from the hole in the ceiling caused by the rust. Nearby, there was a door too. Seems to be rusty, and not openable though normal means. And definitely alien to anyone in Medieval times. Some grass was growing in the building's floor, and vines were sprouting from the ceiling. There was rusted table and shelf, which would've suggested for someone not from Medieval period that this is living room. But that seems to be still good housing, except for well... rust and stuff.

(By the way, it's year 2041, but that's more of informational and OOC purpose so we can get clarified about when NPCs would say stuff.)

Tymewalk

Navden looked around the strange room he found himself in.

This certainly looked nothing like his cabin.

He looked up, in absolute awe of the strange fixtures hanging from the ceiling. They appeared to contain some kind of metal, or at least, something shining like it. How anyone managed to get the metal all the way up there was an absolute mystery to Navden.

He looked over at the rusting walls, and ran his fingers across a relatively clean section of one. The walls felt cold, just like the metal used to forge his weapons and coins.

The next thing that caught his eye was the table. He crouched down, and felt its top. Cold metal, just like the wall. He sat there in absolute awe. What kind of people had such skill with metal that they could make anything out of it?

He spent at least a good 5 minutes marveling at the rest of the room. No matter where he looked, Navden was constantly impressed.
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Faressain

(Going to hatch now...?)

Ughhh... being in shell, so long. But I feel ready. Ready to hatch. I can't stay there for all my life.

*crack* When I tackled the shell... sun? Agh, too bright! Almost if it blinded me!

*crack* I put my limb out, ready to crack it further.

*crack* More of constraining... shell broke.

Shell... I must get out of shell.

*crrrack* W...wait, where am I? Where's... anyone?

*crack* I crawled outside, looking around.

Eep! Cold!

Tymewalk

Upon hearing the sound of the cracking, Navden froze, his hand still touching the table he was so closely examining. Slowly, hoping not to catch the attention of whatever had just made that sound, he turned his head around to examine it.

On the ground, he saw the creature that had just hatched from the egg. As soon as he saw it, he stood even more still than he already was, his hand beginning to almost grip the metal table, leaving a warm handprint on its cold, metal surface. At this point, he had no escape, the doors were all broken and there was nowhere else to run. The only other option was to sit there and hope this ferocious beast would have mercy on him.

Faressain

It feels strange, being watched. As if something... wait, this is bigger... giant? I looked as much upward as possible, but still couldn't reach end of it, nor would I know, what this is, my instincts telling me to run from this unknown 'danger'. But where? Ah, under some pillars I should run.

I just hope whatever it is, doesn't want me as snackfood, because that would be not funny. Maybe whatever is it wouldn't come near me there... I looked around after thinking that. Seemed to be grayish room, with some brown spots, I don't know what. I was nervously shaking, though. What if it comes? I felt my bladder relaxing, but it was somehow empty already.

(The Pokemon isn't much bigger than lizard hatchling for now, just a little bit bigger.)

Tymewalk

Navden sits there, staring at the lizard for a while. Cautiously, he turns back around, and continues examining the room, looking at the strange chairs in particular, while still eyeing the lizard to make sure it doesn't try to attack.

Faressain

I still feel like something is staring at me... just... what? Curiousness took over my side, as I begun to walk a bit closer to 'thing'. And closer. There was really no limit to how close could I go... well, at least that's what I thought. My belly burbled softly, demanding food. In annoyance, I pleadingly 'hissed', wanting food. The box... it seemed to be endless. Yet very unnatural despite the green patches. Once I looked around, at the 'box, I felt pleasant thing... the... I tried to roll, but I was too young to do that... I seemed to flicker my tongue... it felt like somewhat dustier air.

(The air in this world is worse quality than in world this lizard/Snivy was found)

Tymewalk

After some intense investigation of the chairs, Navden concludes that while they are strangely built, they are indeed chairs.

He then steps slightly closer to the lizard, hoping his approach wouldn't scare it into attacking.

Faressain

I was on dispute that is the giant good or bad. Well, couldn't hurt... climbing on him? Wait, was that my idea? He doesn't seem bad... My thoughts were quick, as I gave a playful noise comparable to chirp, but at same time, a hiss. But I have no protection... unless? Unless the giant is the protection I need. "Vi!" I couldn't keep my tongue well, when I was happy, could I?

Somehow, to my consciousness landed the very loud screech of the door opening by air, but where, I didn't know, as I was busy being near the giant. However, more intrigued, I decided to start to climb it... and fell on my back. Um... help? I could see the giant, though. And... what is the iron on a stick? But the giant seems to be alive. I tried to get back to normal, probably by my standards, position. But I couldn't.

Tymewalk

Navden walks up to the lizard, standing on guard in case it were to suddenly leap at him.

Faressain

((I need to balance it so you won't use one-liners, heheh.))

I felt really defenceless, the giant standing there not really helping me. I yelped, once and again, powerless and needing a help. I looked as cute as I could do, maybe this would work? Please don't leave me in this position! My thoughts were really primitive. Suddenly, I saw- EEP!

*CRAAASH!*

I looked on me. Nothing. Left to me. A stone? What is going on? What is the world? Did someone try to hunt me? Why'd it need such youngster as me? Or maybe... why did it land?

Tymewalk

Navden stands up. He draws Haminfera, his axe, and looks for the source of the crash. He grips the handle tightly, standing on guard for anyone who might've caused it.

Faressain

I feel already dizzy from being too much upside-down- wait, I should use the stone as grip, so I can get back to fours. Phew, I did t- wait, what was that?
"Look at this. Would you imagine how much worth would be a lizard in black market?"
"I don't know, but it surely would be something to make us rich- wait, who's the outdated human?"
"Whatever, we'll just come from the hole in the ceiling and take it away. By force.
I really can't understand it... but that was a bit sinister... I shivered and ran to behind Navden. Shortly... *THUD*
"Why didn't we get a rope back then? Ouch." *THUD*
"This was your plan, not mine! You should've been more careful where should we enter from!" "Hey, yo, whoever outdated thing y'are, gimme' a lizard, or else..."
Please, just don't speak that sinisterly... "VIIII!" I let out a shriek of being scared.

(The bandits wear knuckle-dusters and have knifes, but have no armour except scavenged clothes which only would protect them from cold)

Dino

(Going to derail this and point out that I feel like this isn't a very good topic for the RPG section - or maybe even the TBGs entirely. Why? Namely because it's for two specific players. If it was for two people in general, it'd be fine, since it would mean that anyone can still play (although I'd still argue it would need to be an MFG). However, this isn't just for two people in general, it's for two specific people. I don't believe that's a good topic for the RPG section, where everyone deserves to play, or at least be given the chance to play.

At the beginning of the post, Itaku said that "This is a private session with Tymewalk". If so, there's really no reason to host it on the TBGs. Since no one besides Tyme and Itaku can play, it's a bit pointless to post it on a public forum like the TBGs. It would be better to host this, say, on Discord DMs, since I know both of you are on there.

frishy said earlier that this would be better as an MFG, since there are only two players, but I'd argue that the MFG section really isn't applicable either. MFG stands for Multiple-File Game. If there's only one file, it breaks the entire point of having an MFG.

...Yeah, I don't think this topic is suitable for the TBGs. Feel free to rebut.)

Faressain

Quote from: TheLastDino(Going to derail this and point out that I feel like this isn't a very good topic for the RPG section - or maybe even the TBGs entirely. Why? Namely because it's for two specific players. If it was for two people in general, it'd be fine, since it would mean that anyone can still play (although I'd still argue it would need to be an MFG). However, this isn't just for two people in general, it's for two specific people. I don't believe that's a good topic for the RPG section, where everyone deserves to play, or at least be given the chance to play.

At the beginning of the post, Itaku said that "This is a private session with Tymewalk". If so, there's really no reason to host it on the TBGs. Since no one besides Tyme and Itaku can play, it's a bit pointless to post it on a public forum like the TBGs. It would be better to host this, say, on Discord DMs, since I know both of you are on there.

frishy said earlier that this would be better as an MFG, since there are only two players, but I'd argue that the MFG section really isn't applicable either. MFG stands for Multiple-File Game. If there's only one file, it breaks the entire point of having an MFG.

...Yeah, I don't think this topic is suitable for the TBGs. Feel free to rebut.)

I think you have fatal flaw on the Discord DM part. Not everyone has Discord. Under current circumstances, you just want it closed because "it doesn't follow with TBGs meta." I think 1x1s are niche, necessary for RPG section.

Second - if I tried to do an 1 to 1 RP with two random people, I'd not be sure if it would be going into right direction. It's best for few specific people to play rather for group of random people, for reason is in one of my mistakes.

Third - pretty much most joke RPs follow the same procedure as the 1x1 - they aren't a very good topics for RPG section, as you have to get a specific idea,. build the world around it, create characters and play as them, literally feel like them.

T.dude's RP, as much as I don't like unbalance in the RP, seems to be a fine example of the RPG - characters are felt, not just written, or told. Pretty much it was intention of my old RP, CoPKMN, but it got derailed.

Meanwhile, what I saw there, Emoji Fight, could easily go to TBGs category, but not RPGs. First - emojis are not characters. Second - there's no real plot. Third - everything is wrong with the RPG!

Yeah, I'd rather keep the 1x1 there than have more RPGs devolve without spirit.

Where you have been, gentlemen and ladies? Just go back to these topics, realize what is wrong and take example of kayybee, Heathcliffe and PreoKid!

-Terrariadude555-

I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

:D
"Stop touching my suspendies!" - My friend

Dino

Quote from: ItakuI think you have fatal flaw on the Discord DM part. Not everyone has Discord. Under current circumstances, you just want it closed because "it doesn't follow with TBGs meta." I think 1x1s are niche, necessary for RPG section.
True, not everyone has Discord, but you and Tyme - the only two players in this RPG - do, so I don't think this is a relevant point. Neither is your 'Dino is a traditionalist' argument, because I'm fine with the TBG meta changing. I was happy when the RPG meta changed from largely freeform to about 50/50 with freeform and dice. I was happy when TBGs started to get more variety from mostly-counting games. I was happy when original RPGs that weren't based on existing material started to appear. Not to mention that for me to be unhappy about the TBG meta changing, related to 1x1s, it would have to have changed.

Quote from: ItakuSecond - if I tried to do an 1 to 1 RP with two random people, I'd not be sure if it would be going into right direction. It's best for few specific people to play rather for group of random people, for reason is in one of my mistakes.
In other words, you don't want the 'everyman' playing your RPGs, only the ones who you've background checked and researched into? That's a bit rude to everyone else, isn't it?

Quote from: ItakuThird - pretty much most joke RPs follow the same procedure as the 1x1 - they aren't a very good topics for RPG section, as you have to get a specific idea,. build the world around it, create characters and play as them, literally feel like them.
I feel like you just destroyed this point by yourself by pointing out that you don't think joke RPs are proper RPGs (a point I disagree with), but anyway. I don't really understand the latter part of your argument. Many RPGs (largely freeform ones, but dice ones as well) require you to build the world around your characters, create characters, play as those characters and RP as those characters. The problem I'm concerned about relating to 1x1 RPGs are the lack of inclusion, not anything else.

Quote from: ItakuT.dude's RP, as much as I don't like unbalance in the RP, seems to be a fine example of the RPG - characters are felt, not just written, or told. Pretty much it was intention of my old RP, CoPKMN, but it got derailed.

Meanwhile, what I saw there, Emoji Fight, could easily go to TBGs category, but not RPGs. First - emojis are not characters. Second - there's no real plot. Third - everything is wrong with the RPG!
Wanting character-focused RPGs does not mean that you need to literally stop the vast majority of the website from sharing in an RPG, while dangling the game in front of their noses by posting it publicly.

Saying emojis aren't characters are like saying animals aren't characters - of course they aren't. Half of an RPG's point is to shape a personality-less avatar into a character. Emojis can be characters if you want them to, just like animals can have human level intellect, or Pokemon can have complex emotions.

Look at the Emoji Movie. Bad movie though it is, all of the emojis are clearly characters (although I'm not sure how much character they have). As cliche as it sounds, it's about using your imagination to give inanimate objects life.

You also said that there's no real plot. That's fine. Preokid's RPG says that having a plot is good, but only because it means that players usually enjoy their experience more. As far as I can see, if people enjoy something, then who cares what rules in a "How To Make RPGs For Dummies" book it breaks?

Your third point is just ad hominem, so I'm not going to bother rebutting that, especially since it's an extremely broad, vague point that would take me hours to rebut anyway.

Quote from: ItakuYeah, I'd rather keep the 1x1 there than have more RPGs devolve without spirit.
That's a bit arrogant, no? If people are having fun with what they're playing, let them be. I'm fine with you having fun with these 1x1s, I'm not fine with only the people you approve of having fun with these 1x1s, and that's the problem I'm contesting. Having 1x1s with these rules are fine. I just don't agree with your whitelist method of players.

Not to mention the fact that RPGs aren't devolving at all.

Quote from: ItakuWhere you have been, gentlemen and ladies? Just go back to these topics, realize what is wrong and take example of kayybee, Heathcliffe and PreoKid!
I love this part of your argument, because Preokid's post literally says:

Quote from: PreokidMake sure people know how to join.

In other words, people should be able to join, not just look on while two people have all the fun.

But ignoring that, I know that these are all stickied posts, but I'd like to point out that they're a bit outdated with the "TBG meta". Example: kayybee's post says - paraphrased - that RPing in the third person is a common mistake that people make and that RPing in the first person is preferable. These people were also not TBG Gods who could never get anything wrong. Although most of their advice is good and sensible, applying it without exception would reduce variety.

My point, summed up in a sentence, is: 1x1s are fine, but only allowing certain players to play these 1x1s is not. Please don't imply that I have a second meaning behind my arguments, this is my one point.

Blunderbus

this is going to turn into a flamewar topic isn't it

anyway just want to say one thing

Quote from: TheLastDinoall of the emojis are clearly characters
are you suuuuuuure about that?
join Fragmented Future to RIDE A TRAIN! WOOOOOOO YEAH, TRAINS, BABY!

Dino

Quote from: DaEpikDude
Quote from: TheLastDinoall of the emojis are clearly characters
are you suuuuuuure about that?
lemme double check, brb rewatching emoji movie for the ninetieth time.