News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Put It On A Shirt - an RP about adventure and embroidery

Started by Tymewalk, Feb 04, 2018, 03:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tymewalk

Long ago, the land of Oluasia was peaceful. One could simply wear fancy vests and jackets with no problem. The clothes were bright and decorated with many colors, patches, and designs, each giving the wearer certain magical abilities.

But now, the Dark Lord Genericus has forced the men and women of the land to only wear shirts. The once-varied magical clothes are now replaced with plain white tees, giving no magical boosts whatsoever, in an attempt to control the populace.

In an attempt to rebel, the citizens started embroidering their magics on clothes in secret. They would steal jerseys, or even make their own designs on the land's white tees. The Dark Lord Genericus, of course, was very dissatisfied with all of this, and has thrown them in the dungeon.

It is now your chance to shine. You have a plot to break out of these cold, white walls, and you're going to act on it. Using a stash of makeshift weapons and spells you learned, you're going to break out and confront the Dark Lord. But be warned, friend - his guards are not like ones you have seen before. Some are powerful, some are wicked, and some may not even be who they used to be...

Rules

Joining
You can join at almost any time. The exceptions are during fights, places where there would be no ability to join logically, or in the middle of a significant event. These will usually be marked, and you'll be put on a waitlist until you can join.

Gameplay
This is a d20 game, with some modifications to that based on the system, described below. Death will be permanent. The one exception is if you have some device that can save your life, but if it does, it'll be mentioned when you would've died. If it's said that you're dead, you're dead. Also, no metagaming, no godmodding, etc. The standard stuff.

Player Limit
You can have up to three players, but I recommend you don't post them all at once. There is no limit to the total number of players (across all users), however, note that the bigger the party size, the stronger bosses will become. A boss battle with 11 people is different from a boss battle with 5.

Mechanics
I fully intend to make some new mechanics later on, but here's what I've got for now. These may get revised if I have to balance something, but if I do, I'll make sure to mention that.

Embroidery
Embroidery is the core mechanic of the game. You can use Patches to alter your clothing, and gain extra abilities or stats. These are usually things like defense boosts, or extra spells and abilities.

Patches can be removed as long as they are not permanent. If they are, choose wisely - having patches that conflict, or having too many patches can cause serious, disastrous consequences for anybody who attempts to wear (or in some cases, even attach) them. Removing patches is no easy feat, however - removing one badly will destroy it, and special tools are required to take them off. (You could also cut it off with the shirt around it, but that'd ruin your shirt which is also not good.)

You can also sew designs into them. This requires more time, effort, and material than patches, however, knowing the right designs can end up being better than any patch. These are permanent, however, and they will conflict with patches - so be careful!

Spells
Spells are special abilities which have magical effects. You won't get too many spells, but that's OK - items and patches will take care of that for you. Unlike patches, spells do not conflict simply by being able to use them, and you can know them forever without consequences.

There are three types of spells - Instant, Encounter, and Daily. Instant spells may be used whenever. Encounter spells may only be used once per battle (but certain items or actions can recharge this.) Daily spells may only be used once per in-game day. I'll mention when Daily spells have been recharged.

Some spells will require things such as concentration or energy, usually in exchange for strength. The three basic spells, as well as any spells which do not note it, do not require any. Energy only matters if you are either casting lots of spells, casting spells which require lots of energy, or heavily weakened. For most purposes, it will not matter, and since spells are rare to begin with, you probably won't need to worry about it too much.

Sign-Up Sheet
Name:
Appearance:
Personality/Other:
Pick One:
Inventory: Plain White Tee, Standard-Issue Pants, and choose one of Crude Dagger (can inflict stabbing damage), Crude Boots of Agility (gain +1 while dodging if your roll is 10 or lower), or Crude Shirt of Self-Defense (if you would be affected by a crit roll, the shirt breaks and reflects part of the attack into the attacker)
Spells: None
or
Inventory: Plain White Tee, Standard-Issue Pants
Spells: Choose one of Bolt of Frost (Instant, fires a cold bolt at a target), Song of Health (Daily, heal one teammate's wounds near completely), Amplify (Encounter, next turn, all party members gain a small boost)
(You may only pick one spell or one item, you can't have both. You will get the Plain White Tee and Standard-Issue Pants with either option, though.)
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Tymewalk

Character List

Quote from: Smiley100PName: Neplord Karen
Appearance: About six feet tall and has long hair.  Has these little non-enchanted troll horns in another room.
Personality/Other: rambunctious and hyperactive. Ships a lot. Probably bisexual, but nobody really knows. "Neplord" is a self-given title.
Spells: Song of Health
Quote from: Alex The JPEGName: Eman Laer
Appearance: Short for his age, but quite muscular.
Personality/Other: Likes to help others. Sometimes underestimates his opponents, though.
Spells: Amplify
Quote from: DaEpikDudeName: Teddy Zeke
Appearance: Pretty short and not very strong
Personality / Other: Bad at talking to people, tends to push himself a little too much
Spells: Bolt of Frost
Quote from: TerrariadudeName: Steve
Appearance: dark brown hair, eyes that change color daily
Personality/Other: strong, quick, kind and helpful, but can't wait for the next battle to happen.
Inventory: Plain White Tee (Warm Green Patch), Standard-Issue Pants
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Tymewalk

Starmeadows

Name: Neplord Karen
Appearance: About six feet tall and has long hair.  Has these little non-enchanted troll horns in another room.
Personality/Other: rambunctious and hyperactive. Ships a lot. Probably bisexual, but nobody really knows. "Neplord" is a self-given title.

Tymewalk

Quote from: Smiley100PName: Neplord Karen
Accepted. We'll start once I get some more players.

Alex The JPEG

Name: Eman Laer
Personality/Other: Likes to help others. Sometimes underestimates his opponents, though.
Check out my GitHub! You might find some neat stuff there!

POST PROGRESS (updated 12/15/2020)
██████░░░░ 0 - 10,000
░░░░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 7,000
███░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 6,100

Tymewalk

Quote from: alexphanName: Eman Laer
Accepted.

Tymewalk

Tymewalk

Bumping again. I can also start with four players (or maybe force a start with 3) if need be.

Blunderbus

Name: Teddy Zeke
Personality / Other: Bad at talking to people, tends to push himself a little too much
join Fragmented Future to RIDE A TRAIN! WOOOOOOO YEAH, TRAINS, BABY!

-Terrariadude555-

Name: Steve
Personality/Other: strong, quick, kind and helpful, but can't wait for the next battle to happen.

BTW, does the tee have to be white? Or can we change the color?
I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

:D
"Stop touching my suspendies!" - My friend

Tymewalk

Quote from: DaEpikDudeName: Teddy Zeke
Quote from: TerrariadudeName: Steve
Both accepted. Terrariadude, I'm assuming the color-changing eyes have no real effect on his abilities, right?
Quote from: TerrariadudeBTW, does the tee have to be white? Or can we change the color?
Nope, it has to be white. Certain clothes give the wearer abilities, and plain white tees don't have any by themselves. Don't worry though, after the first enemy or two you'll have some patches and other materials to work with.

Since we have four players, I'll start soon. Joining's going to be open until around the first fight, so if you wanted to sign up and haven't yet, you're still able to.

Tymewalk

The four stand in the middle of a cell, wearing nothing but their standard getup. In front of them stands the bars of the cell, with two guards standing outside, and to the left towards the ceiling is a ventilation duct.

It's time to escape.

Blunderbus

"That ventilation duct seems significant, I have a strange feeling it's probably the intended escape route."
Teddy tries to think of some ways to get out of the cell.
"Maybe a fire spell would've come in handy here..."
Can the bars be broken with bolt of frost?

Also are instant spells just usable whenever? Like, is there a limiting factor on their use?

Starmeadows

Neplord Karen | 19 | F
Tags: Teddy

Karen almost immediately sushed the sound voice, knowing the guards were in earshot. "They can't know!" She whispers as silently as she could to Teddy, almost not making a sound in the first place.

-Terrariadude555-

Let's just make the guards unconscious and climb through the vent!

Steve fires a bolt of frost and one of the guards. Steve beckons Teddy to fire at the other guard.
I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

Tymewalk

Quote from: DaEpikDudeCan the bars be broken with bolt of frost?
No, the basic Bolt of Frost can't freeze metal enough to break it. It can be used as an attack, albeit a weak one.
Quote from: DaEpikDudeAlso are instant spells just usable whenever? Like, is there a limiting factor on their use?
Essentially, once per turn, plus any other restrictions the spell itself has (i.e, requires concentration, or uses lots of energy). Bolt of Frost does not have any, although as a trade-off, it's not too strong, either.

I've edited that in now.
Quote from: TerrariadudeLet's just make the guards unconscious and climb through the vent!

Steve fires a bolt of frost and one of the guards. Steve beckons Teddy to fire at the other guard.
Steve: Bolt of Frost: 8

Catching him off guard, Steve's Bolt of Frost hits the guard's back, causing the guard to slip and fall flat on his chest. The other guard turns around, draws his baton, and begins calling for backup to help deal with the prisoners.

-Terrariadude555-

Steve fires a bolt of frost at the other guard. Steve begins to break open the vent.

Tymewalk

Quote from: TerrariadudeSteve fires a bolt of frost at the other guard. Steve begins to break open the vent.
Steve: Bolt of Frost: 3

Steve tries to fire off a bolt of frost, but he ends up stumbling and misfiring, narrowly missing Eman's head.

He quickly runs over to the vent, and begins looking for a way to unscrew it from the wall.

The guards draw closer, and given that the other guard didn't sound too happy, more backup is surely on the way.

Blunderbus

Teddy uses Frost Bolt on all the guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(all one of them)

Alex The JPEG

Check out my GitHub! You might find some neat stuff there!

POST PROGRESS (updated 12/15/2020)
██████░░░░ 0 - 10,000
░░░░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 7,000
███░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 6,100

Starmeadows

Blunderbus

wasn't this originally something like "a ridiculous RP about everything and nothing"?

-Terrariadude555-

Steve picks up a bat from a guard and begins to smash the vent.

Tymewalk

Quote from: DaEpikDudewasn't this originally something like "a ridiculous RP about everything and nothing"?
(Yeah, I figured it wasn't that ridiculous though so I decided to change it)

Quote from: Alex The JPEGEman amplifies Teddy's Frost Bolt.
(Amplify actually works on all party members for a given turn, so I'll apply it to all rolls.)

Eman uses his Amplify to give his teammates a quick boost.
Quote from: DaEpikDudeTeddy uses Frost Bolt on all the guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(all one of them)
Teddy: Frost Bolt: 14 + 3 (Eman's Amplify) = 17

Teddy charges up a bolt of frost, and fires it at the guard. Combined with Eman's Amplification, the guard is sent flying back, and his front is mostly covered in a thin sheet of ice. He slumps up against the wall, still dizzy from the initial impact.
Quote from: Smiley100PKaren grabs a bag of popcorn.
Karen is, unfortunately, unable to find any popcorn or similar theater confectioneries nearby.

Karen: Search: 1 + 3 (Eman's Amplify) = 4

In fact, there's really not much around here to begin with. Just a plain, barren cell.
Quote from: TerrariadudeSteve picks up a bat from a guard and begins to smash the vent.
Whacking it with the guard's metal baton, Steve succeeds in smashing open the vent. It looks like it's a tight squeeze, but at least big enough to crawl through.