News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Shards of Power

Started by Dark, Feb 28, 2017, 04:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Terrariadude555-

Well, how about we have Steve still unconscious on the beach and that all my turns can be ignored. Also, you can't have a new member get killed that quickly, because heavy blood loss results in death as well.

BTW, I don't have that much experience with RPGs that are not mine.
I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

:D
"Stop touching my suspendies!" - My friend

Dark

Quote from: TerrariadudeWell, how about we have Steve still unconscious on the beach and that all my turns can be ignored. Also, you can't have a new member get killed that quickly, because heavy blood loss results in death as well.

((The problem with this is that it's unfair for the other players to retcon a critical failure. The shot is non-fatal, though you might want to bandage it.))
Date registered: Apr 17, 2013, 06:27:41 AM

Rekekka

Rachel shakes her head and continues to look for food.
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

-Terrariadude555-

Quote from: Darkfire
Quote from: TerrariadudeWell, how about we have Steve still unconscious on the beach and that all my turns can be ignored. Also, you can't have a new member get killed that quickly, because heavy blood loss results in death as well.

((The problem with this is that it's unfair for the other players to retcon a critical failure. The shot is non-fatal, though you might want to bandage it.))
Ok then. I'm replacing my last turn.
I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

Dark

((Thanks))

---

Attack Rolls

Aldric: 6

Aria: 20 + 3(Axe)

Steve: 13

Bowman 1: 4 - 3(distracted)

Bowman 2: 7 - 3(distracted)

---

Aldric lets off another bolt. It disappears into the doorway and is met with the clink of metal striking metal.

Aria wades forward through the mat of mammals underfoot, approaching the bowmen. They are much too distracted by the animalistic assault to notice her.

She swings her axe upwards, striking one of the men in the jaw. He falls, and Aria spins around to bring the weapon down on another man's head. He drops dead where he stands.

The remaining two men curse, still batting off the vermin horde.

Steve takes off his helmet and rips off a strip of his shirt. He swiftly binds his wound and returns his helm to his place before nocking an arrow. He draws back the string and takes aim, though finding a target is difficult through the mass of gulls and rabbits. He lets the arrow fly, and is rewarded with a shout of pain from one of the still-standing bowmen.

Rachel follows a trail of crushed underbrush through the thick woods. A peculiar cacophony of noises reach her ears: chittering and crowing overlaid over shouts and the clink of steel. A break arises in the bushes, and she catches sight of the group from the beach engaging two black-clad bowmen who are being beset by seagulls and rabbits.

Jack continues playing his flute, prolonging the onslaught.

One of the bowmen tries to ready an attack, but fails to notice a seagull swooping down on his face. It strikes an eye with its talons, and the man falls. He is swiftly buried beneath the carpet of fur covering the grass.

The last archer tries to do the same, but is forced to defend himself against the beasts and has no time for an attack.

Silhouettes emerge from the doorway on the pyramid. The dark shapes become men as they step out of the dim light and into the day. A rank of four men bearing tower shields in front of them, followed by another line holding their shields above them to form a box of metal protecting them from the animals. Two more rows walk behind them, also holding their shields aloft. They approach the party, seagulls skittering off their shields and rabbits crushed underfoot. In total, the formation holds sixteen soldiers.

---

Statuses:

Jack(Dryad): Healthy [AC: 14]
Jack(Snake): Healthy [AC: 12]
Hydra: Healthy [AC: 13]
Aria: Healthy [AC: 16]
Lunete: Healthy [AC: 17]
Aldric: Healthy [AC: 10]
Steve: Head injured [AC: 14]
Rachel: Healthy [AC: 12]

Bowman 1: Dead
Bowman 2: Healthy
Bowman 3: Dead
Bowman 4: Dead

Tortoise formation: Steady, 16/16

Rekekka

What the... can't tell who's on the right at the moment. Might as well wait this out for a bit.

Rachel decides to keep her cover until the battle subsides. Better to stay out of the crossfire than run the risk of ending up like those bowmen.
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

LiberianPrince

Aldric calls out to Aria and Steve.
"Hey miss! Charge at the tortoise so you can disrupt them. They can't attack!"
He turns to Steve.
"Archer, don't fire at the turtle. You won't be able to hurt them.

Meanwhile, Aldric fires a bolt at the last bowman.

Quote from: RomanPrinceAldric vocat Ariam et Stephanum.
"Ohe femella! Aggredere testūdinem ut dīrumpās fōrmātiōnem! Illī non possunt aggredī!"
Is vertit ad Stephano.
"Sagittārie, noli sagittāre ad testūdine. Nōn poteris vulnerāre illīs."

Interim, Aldric mittit tēlum ad sagittāriō postrēmō.

GalaxySugarFox

Lunete decides to hide in some nearby bushes for now, as so not to get hit.

Dino

Aria shrugs and charges the turtle.

-Terrariadude555-

Steve collects some blackberries and eats them, then he aims at the remaining bowman.

Dark

Attack Rolls

Aldric: 17

Aria: 20

Steve: 17

Tortoise Formation(Aria): 4

----

Rachel ducks into the bushes surrounding the clearing, keeping a careful eye on the action.

Aldric shouts out orders while loading another bolt. Taking aim, he pulls the trigger. The quarrel sinks into the throat of the last bowman and he drops, clawing at his neck.

Lunete crouches and moves under cover of foliage. Treading through the leaves, she bumps into someone else hiding there.
Rachel feels something bump her shoulder.

Aria charges at the formation, axe raised in both hands. As she reaches the wall of shields, she brings the weapon down. The mithril edge cleaves through the oaken planks, biting deep into the arm beneath. She wrenches the axe out and kicks the injured man in the chest, knocking him backwards into his colleagues behind him. She sweeps her axe to the right, catching the torso of the man next to her. He drops, breaking open the front of the formation.

Steve looks around and picks a few berries off a nearby bush. He examines the fruit - round and dark gray. He doesn't recognize them, but they look edible. He consumes them and nocks an arrow. The bowmen are dead, so he aims his shot at one of the two remaining men leading the tortoise formation. His arrow flies true, striking the man in the shoulder. He curses loudly and drops his shield.

With the first row of men down, the remaining soldiers adapt. The second row bring down their shields to cover their front, while the third and fourth press forwards to keep the roof intact. The second row draw swords, jabbing them through the spaces between the shields.

Aria dodges two sword strokes and parries a third. The fourth man readies himself to strike for the heart.

A multitude of pale glowing tentacles erupt from Aria's back, curving around before her. Four of them cross paths to block the sword stroke, while the rest coil around the man's chest and throat. He drops his shields to swat away the tentacles suffocating him, but he is swiftly overwhelmed.

Looks of horror spread across the faces of the remaining soldiers, and Aria swiftly takes advantage. She sweeps her axe low, chopping almost clean through a leg and felling the man attached to it.

Panicked cries break out as the ten remaining men break formation, turning to sprint back towards the safety of the pyramid.

---

Statuses:

Jack(Dryad): Healthy [AC: 14]
Jack(Snake): Healthy [AC: 12]
Hydra: Healthy [AC: 13]
Aria: Healthy [AC: 16]
Lunete: Healthy [AC: 17]
Aldric: Healthy [AC: 10]
Steve: Head injured [AC: 14]
Rachel: Healthy [AC: 12]

Tortoise formation: Broken, 10/16

Dino

Aria activates her shield rune again and walks into the pyramid.

-Terrariadude555-

Steve aims at another of the men in the tortoise formation, then he hides behind a tree.

LiberianPrince

Aldric hops out of his position, and moves up to Aria. He keeps his crossbow up and follows behind her as she enters the pyramid. He keeps his eyes peeled for any attackers, only firing at any enemies that pose immediate threat and letting the others flee.

Dark

Lunete turns around to see a young woman about her own age, wearing a quilted jacket with a glint of metal visible underneath.

Aria calls forth Baraxis again, materializing a wall in front of her. She steps through it and continues on. The shield does not move with her. She steps up the stairs to the doorway, followed closely by Aldric.

Steve takes aim, but before he can loose a shot the remaining men have fled into the pyramid.

Aria and Aldric step into the pyramid. They find themselves in a stone corridor, just wide enough for four men to stand abreast. The roof is low, and the walls are built of gray stone bricks.

The duo continue forwards. The tunnel is short, and within twenty paces opens into a cavern.

The spacious room follows the geometry of the pyramid, with a square floor and sloped walls leading to a pointed ceiling. The floor is at least fifty paces by fifty, perfectly flat and uncluttered.

On the four sides of the room, square thresholds lead into corridors like the one they'd just came from, and in the four corners staircases lead down, deeper into the pyramid. A flutter of black fabric can be seen as the last of the soldiers disappear down the stairs.

In the center, a raised dais bears a ring of jagged stone, coloured a strange purple. Perhaps six feet in diameter, it stands upright on the dias, flanked by two stone pillars to which it is attached by heavy iron chains. Inside the ring isnothing, a void bereft even of darkness.

As Aria and Aldric step into the room, they feel their clothes being pulled towards the center of the strange ring.

-Terrariadude555-

Steve, taking a few sticks with him, walks into the pyramid.

(BTW, with the growling stuff, Steve is a tiny bit delirious. He hears growling in his mind sometimes. Feel free to slap him in the head when that happens.)

Dino

Aria uses the book on the ring to identify it.

Dark

Aria takes out the ragged book and flips it open.

On the right side of the page is a diagram of the ring, complete with a cloud of dust being drawn into the center. The left side is filled with text.

"Evergate

A doorway granting mortals access to one of the Twelve Eternities, the realms of the gods. This particular gate leads to the Eternity of Void, domain of Vvrdach. The Eternity of Void is uninhabitable by mortals, and this gate leads to an area where the Void converges with the Eternity of Stone. This convergence affords, to a degree, relatively stable ground and relatively breathable air. There is a cost, however: The convergence allowing foreign creatures and magics to inhabit the normally empty Void.

The gate works both ways, so long as it is not destroyed. Save for the intervention of a Shard or god, there is no other way to return. Adventurers beware."

Dark

((Jack: I'll go in, but I'm keeping my Shards at the ready to block stuff. Not wandering far from the portal, either.))

Jack strides into the pyramid and checks what's written on Aria's book. Taking out the four Shards in his possession, he steps onto the dias.

The gate sucks him closer, pulling him in like a magnet. He steps forward.

Aria and Aldric watch as Jack steps into the ring, and the circle of non-existence within consumes him without a trace.

---

Jack's foot touches down on stone, and he steps out of the portal. The force on this side of the gate is reversed, attempting to shove him away. He moves far enough away that the force is a mere annoyance rather than a threat, and looks around.

Far, far above him is a ceiling of pale violet stone, jagged and covered in stalactites of various sizes. Some of these stalactites are impossibly massive, hundreds of feet thick and thousands long. A large stalactite to his left is connected midway up to another smaller one to his right via the natural stone bridge on which he stands. Recessed slightly into the wall on his left is the Evergate, and where the bridge meets the stone on his right a cave winds away into the core of the great stalactite.

He looks down. Far below the tips of even the largest stalactites, the nonexistence of the Void can be seen. Between the roof and the Void, ashen gray clouds move, some floating serenely, some rushing around in the powerful winds that turn unpredictably this way and that.

In the distance, a stalactite is carved to resemble an upside-down tower, with windows and balconies showing along the outside. The length of the tower cannot be seen, as the bottom is concealed by the gloomy clouds.

The air here is thin, and the temperature fluctuates greatly; one minute bitingly cold, the next feverishly hot, then pleasantly warm. A permanent, undulating screech can be heard as the winds rush through nooks and crannies in the stone.

Dark

((Jack: Might as well try the bridge. That said, "stay back, items at the ready, be prepared to run" is going to be standard policy for as long as I'm here.))

---

Jack carefully steps out onto the bridge. The winds howl and rip at his robes and hair, trying to drag him into the abyss. He stands fast, however, and crosses the bridge, taking refuge in the cave entrance on the other side. As he crosses, he takes note that his Shards seem to be attracted in the direction of the carved tower as if by magnets.

Across the bridge, he looks into the cave. It twists and turns such that he can't see more than ten feet down the tunnel. A cacophony of overlapping taps and clicks echo from deeper in.

Dark

((Aldric:  "Guess I might as well get in too."
Aldric follows Jack into the Evergate, but not before taking LongTooth with him.))

---

Aldric takes the bone-white longsword from Aria's bag and steps through the portal. He steps out and stays close to the gate, away from the howling winds on the bridge.

Dino

Aria follows Jack as well.

Dark

Aria steps into the portal.

She emerges onto the stone bridge, grabbing hold of a protrusion of rock on the wall to keep herself steady. Aldric is to her right, and across the bridge Jack peers into a cave.

Dino

Aria crosses the bridge to where Jack is.