News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

The RPG of rolling a die and seeing what happens

Started by joefarebrother, Oct 07, 2017, 01:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joefarebrother

There is a magical die. Rolling it may cause certain things to happen. This is an RPG about rolling the die... and seeing what happens.
Below, rolling "the die" refers to this magical die, a canonical part of this game's world, whereas just rolling "a die" or "some dice" just refers to the meta-mechanics of randomness.

There are 3 stats: Attack, Defence, and max HP [current HP, or just HP, is not considered a stat. It starts off equal to your max HP and can't exceed it unless an effect states otherwise. Increasing or decreasing your max HP aplies the same change to your current HP too. If your current HP hits 0, you die]. No stat can be higher than 100 or lower than 1, if it is then it is set within the range.

You can fight other characters as follows: Roll 2 dice, a dA and a dD, where A = your attack, D = opponent's defence. Whoever got the highest value "wins" the fight, and the difference between the rolls is how much HP the loser loses. If they're the same, the fight is a tie and nothing happens. The winner may also take one item from the loser if they have any. You can only fight once per post. This may be used to try to take the die from someone.

For fairness, once you win a fight with someone, you can't fight any other character controlled by the same player until either they post or 12 hours have passed, shortened to 1 if they are paralysed.

If you have the die, you can roll it when you post. It starts off as a d13, with the following effects:

1. You may add up to 6 points to any stats you like, which can be distributed (e.g. +2 attack, +1 maxHP).
2. Roll 3d3, and for each one, subtract 1 from the corresponding stat: 1=Attack, 2=Defence, 3=Max HP
3. Same as 2, but apply it to any other character of your choice instead
4. Create a non-magical item. It could be a weapon, which temporarily adds to your attack, armour, which temporarily adds to your defence, food, which heals you, or anything else which you can think of if it's creative; describe how it works within the mechanics of the game. I as a GM will decide how powerful it is, until then assume it to be the weakest power possible which still does something.
5. Try to do something magical, within reason. Roll 5d20, and if any are 13, the spell backfires and the next player to post will decide what happens instead.
6. Roll a d10 and subtract 5. The result is added to your HP (so if it's negative, you lose HP). Can go above max HP.
7. Roll the die 2 more times.
8. Add a new positive or neutral effect to the die, and then the goes to someone else at random: roll a die to determine who. (This does not come into effect immediately, instead only when I approve the new effect (which I may change a bit if it's too OP. When this post is edited, the effect is in place.)
9. Add a new negative effect to the die, then it goes to someone else at random.
10. Create a new character. Their stats can be distributed in any way you like, with a stat total half of what yours is.
11. If another player has more than one character, you may take control of one of them (even their original one!) of your choice.
12. A temporary copy of the die is created, which may only be rolled 3 times (extra rolls, such as roll #7, are not counted). You get the copy, and the original goes to someone else at random.
13. You are paralysed, and can't post for 24 hours of real-world time. During this time, you can't damage anyone as a result of them fighting you.
14. Roll the die 2 more times, but each roll is forced to be a negative effect (reroll otherwise).

Character sign up: (self-insert allowed, and new players can join at any time)
Name:
Appearance:
Attack:
Defence:
Max HP:
Other info (e.g. backstory?):
Your starting stat total must be less than or equal to 30.
You can't start with any sort of magical abilities.

Site rules and standard RP rules apply. No powerplaying/godmodding. Don't re-roll any dice roll.

You can only have 1 character to start with. Extra characters can only be created by the relevant dice roll. If all of your characters die, you must wait until the next page before you can create a new character. When a new page starts, all living characters will gain 5HP. Once there are 3 characters, the third person rolls a d3 to see who gets the die
Most of the storytelling I'll leave up to you guys since I'm not very good at it.
Play me on chess.com! Scratch group!   √-1 2³ ∑ 3.14, and it was delicious!

Either your internet was too slow, or you're using the wrong theme, so you lost the game.

joefarebrother

Character list:

Smiley100P
Name: Jonathan
Appearance: short boi with blond hair and blue eyes
Attack: 5
Defence: 4
HP: 5/5
Other info (e.g. backstory?): Sir Reginald's apprentice.

Name: Sir Reginald
Appearance: Mottled brown hair, green eyes for once, and a right hand with six fingers.
Attack: 14
Defence: 8
HP: 2/5
Other info (e.g. backstory?): A morally-white knight.  At least so far.

Name: d20
Appearance: Uh...can I fill this out later?
Attack: 8
Defence: 5
HP: 15/17
Other info (e.g. backstory?): Nah.
Items:
(none)

alexphan
Name: Bob Billy
Appearance: Normal stickman with a hairdo from the 80s.
Attack: 16
HP: 4/9
Other info (e.g. backstory?): Has a super rare watch; it's the only one left of its kind. Bob doesn't really think it can do anything except tell time.
Items:
(none)

redgreenandblue
Name: George
Appearance: Uhm, How about brown hair, blue eyes, average height... (I am terrible with appearances )
Defense: 10
HP: 15/15
Other info: idk
Items:
- The Die

Graveyard
(empty)

(up-to-date to post 33)

Either your internet was too slow, or you're using the wrong theme, so you lost the game.

joefarebrother

TheTealWashableMarker

"I can't think of a quote to put here" - me, right now

Starmeadows

Name: Sir Reginald
Appearance: Mottled brown hair, green eyes for once, and a right hand with six fingers.
Attack: 15
Max HP: 5
Other info (e.g. backstory?): A morally-white knight.  At least so far.

joefarebrother

I don't need any more reserved posts thanks
Ignore this since I didn't understand the purpose of reserved posts

TheTealWashableMarker

"I can't think of a quote to put here" - me, right now

Starmeadows

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

Name: d20
Appearance: Uh...can I fill this out later?
Attack: Randomize.
Defence: Randomize.
Max HP: Randomize.
Other info (e.g. backstory?): Nah.
j u m b l e !

Currently listening to: Lemaitre - 1:18

joefarebrother

Yay, I wrote something in JavaScript that worked first time!
Random stats generator: (maybe useful for future use)

var options = [];
for(atk=1; atk<30; atk++){
  for(def=1; def<30; def++){
    for(hp=1; hp<30; hp++){
      if(atk+def+hp === 30){
        options.push([atk,def,hp])
      }
    }
  }
}
console.log(options[Math.floor(Math.random()*options.length)])

One more then we can start.

Starmeadows

Quote from: joefarebrotherYay, I wrote something in JavaScript that worked first time!
Random stats generator: (maybe useful for future use)

var options = [];
for(atk=1; atk<30; atk++){
  for(def=1; def<30; def++){
    for(hp=1; hp<30; hp++){
      if(atk+def+hp === 30){
        options.push([atk,def,hp])
      }
    }
  }
}
console.log(options[Math.floor(Math.random()*options.length)])

One more then we can start.
wow
I have a general idea of what that says haha

Alex The JPEG

Name: Bob Billy
Appearance: Normal stickman with a hairdo from the 80s.
Attack: 16
Max HP: 9
Other info (e.g. backstory?): Has a super rare watch; it's the only one left of its kind. Bob doesn't really think it can do anything except tell time.
Check out my GitHub! You might find some neat stuff there!

POST PROGRESS (updated 12/15/2020)
██████░░░░ 0 - 10,000
░░░░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 7,000
███░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 6,100

joefarebrother

Ok, we can now start (new people can still join though):

Sir Regenald, d20, and Bob Billy all wake up in a dark room. There may be some other people too but you can't quite tell. The first thing you all see is a glowing stone of some sort on a pedestal in the centre of the room. On closer inspection you see it is actually a Tridecahedron, with each face inscribed a number written in Roman numerals. You all reach for it, but Bob Billy picks it up first. As soon as he touches it, a scroll beneath it starts glowing too. It lists 13 things, each describing some strange and magical effect.

Starmeadows

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

j u m b l e !

redgreenandblue

Name: George
Appearance: Uhm, How about brown hair, blue eyes, average height... (I am terrible with appearances :P )
Max HP: 15
Other info: idk :P

joefarebrother

Sir Reganald and d20 pick up the scroll together to read. It contains the following:

Quote from: The ScrollTHIS IS THE ANCIENT MYSTICAL AND INDESTRUCTABLE DIE. WHEN IT IS ROLLED, THE FACE THAT IT LANDS ON WILL DETERMINE YOUR FATE. THESE ARE THE CURRENTLY KNOWN EFFECTS OF ROLLING THE DIE AND SEEING WHAT HAPPENS:

I. Makes one stronger in attributes of one's choosing
II. Makes one weaker in unpredictable attributes
III. Makes another weaker in unpredictable attributes
IV. Summon a nonmagical object of one's imagination
V. Allows one to attempt to cast a spell of one's imagination. If one is unlucky, said spell may backfire.
VI. Either heals or hurts one in an unpredictable way
VII. Splits the die in two for a single roll each, and recombining after the effects are done.
VIII. Allow one to add a new face to the die enchanted in a way that may benefit its wielder, and passes the die to another.
IX. Allow one to add a new face to the die enchanted in a way that will harm its wielder, and passes the die to another
X. Summons a person half as strong as oneself, physically linked to oneself as if their actions were determined by the same entity
XI. If such a link exists, allows one to break it and bind oneself to one of the linked persons instead of one's choosing
XII. Passes the die to another, leaving behind a remnant of the die that will vanish after being used thrice
XII. Paralyses one such that one cannot move nor defend oneself.

While they are reading, George wakes up and joins the group in the centre of the room too.

Starmeadows

Sir Reginald decided that this artifact would be a great addition to the British museum, so he elbows d20 for it.
(Aka he attacks him lol)
(I'm gonna assume we can roll the dice by ourselves lol)
d15: 3
...Oh god
d5: 1
...Oh good

Sir Reginald takes the die and rUNS WITH ITTTTT

joefarebrother

Little did Sir Reginald know that Bob Billy was in fact still holding the die, and all that he managed to steal from d20 was the scroll they were both reading

Starmeadows

Not knowing this, Sir Reginald...  actually did know it.  Never miiiiind knights make idiotic mistakes sometimes.  Reginald pats d20 on the back and instead guns for Bob Billy, assuming it's common knowledge.
So he elbowed that guy.

1d15: 6
Automatic success.
1d5: 1

now he takes the Die and rUNS

joefarebrother

[meta](Because I see a potential "exploit", I'm going to add a rule that once you fight someone, you can't fight anyone controlled by the same player until either they post, or 12 hours have passed, shortened to 1 hour if they are paralysed).
(also, you are allowed to roll the die on the same post as obtaining it btw).
[/meta]

Bob Billy cries out in pain as he starts bleeding from where the strike hit and drops the die, for he had already lost over half of his health. As Sir Reginald snatches the die out of mid-air he starts running and soon finds himself at a wall at the edges of the room.

Starmeadows

Reginald decides to test the die's capabilities once he got out of that one room.
ROLL: 2
ATK -1
DEF -2
...Reginald runs faster.

Starmeadows

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

j u m b l e !

Starmeadows

Reginald rolls the die again to try and throw him off.

ROLL: 10

Name: Jonathan
Appearance: short boi with blond hair and blue eyes
Defence: 4
Max HP: 5
Other info (e.g. backstory?): Sir Reginald's apprentice.

"What do you need help with, my leige?" Asked Jonathan as they approached the outdoors.
"...Just run."