News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Lightway Bluff RPG [JOINING STILL OPEN]

Started by Fishmael, Jul 08, 2017, 12:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishmael

(Guess it's finally time I try my hand at this whole Turnbased shebang.)

Quote from: Douglas AdamsIn the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The Backstory

It is the distant future of 2004. Not 2004 by our calendars, but by one made on a much broader scale, where numbers like 2004 hold a much larger meaning than they do today. If we were using our years, it would far surpass that where humanity even had a chance of having an impact on much larger things.

When two alien forces meet, it is not often that it is a meeting without conflict. Ever since civilizations had perfected a way to travel unfathomable distances in no time at all, these conflicts grew more prominent, until most of civilization was threatened to be destroyed by a war that started without reason with no end in sight.

But then, a messenger appeared. It appeared to all planets at once in a single Voice. A Voice that spoke with an undeniable truth behind it, although its message was vague. A dismal Moon from a planet that had been destroyed centuries ago was said to hold a treasure that the Voice referred to as the Lightway Bluff.

The Voice did not state the nature of the Lightway Bluff, nor did it state its location in any more detail than the fact that it was somewhere on a Moon that everyone had forgotten, but it did serve to postpone the war long enough for those fighting it to focus their efforts on finding the Lightway Bluff.

Gameplay

You play as someone seeking the Lightway Bluff for whatever personal reasons they'd have for wanting it. As stated at the beginning, this is your standard Turnbased RPG, though the abilities of your character are determined by factors such as their Species and Upbringing. These will determine your Attack Options, Resilience, and THP (To Hit Physical), all of which I'll explain in detail before getting to Species and Upbringings.

Attack Options: Unlike a normal d20 system, this RPG works off a different system depending on the type of attack your character makes.

1. Physical Attacks- These are standard attacks done by weapons. They work off of a d20 system, however, the amount of damage done is always a set number, not determined by the number rolled. Instead, that's compared to the THP, and if it's higher, you hit and do the damage set for that weapon, minus the target's Resilience.

2. HypoEthereal Pathways- In the great expanse of knowledge the Universe has required over the years, many have discovered how to Tap into the Universe's extradimensional reserves, called HEPs. There are two accessible Pathways, known as Sygmet and Kamhet, and a third inaccessible Pathway known as Tohrnet. Sygmet is known as the Pathway of Thought and Knowledge. Tapping into this Pathway can allow you to read an individuals mind, immediately learn information regarding a subject, or send messages directly to someone no matter how far away they are from you, as well as other things along those lines. Kamhet is known as the Pathway of Power and Strength, and is the offensive pathway. Tapping into this HEP lets you do damage directly to an enemy, regardless of its THP. Tohrnet is known as the Pathway of Ambiguity and Secret. Though its presence can be sensed, there is no way to Tap into it, and thus its reserves remain a mystery to all.

There are two main methods of Tapping, which differ substantially.

a. Direct Tapping- Some are strong enough to Tap into either Sygmet or Kamhet through their own mental power alone. To these, the Pathways appear like a dreamscape, with simple situations appearing before them which, when solved, allow them to Tap. In other words, they appear like situational riddles, sometimes mirroring the real world to a very slight degree.

b. Pact Tapping- To those who are not mentally strong enough to breach the gap alone, they may instead choose to make Pacts with those known as Seeing Ones, colossal beasts that exist both in the outermost depths of space and within the Pathways simultaneously. These will give players a set number of Taps in return for tasks done in the physical world. An evil Seeing One may ask you to do a heinous deed in return for 15 Taps at any time, while a benevolent one may ask you to give something away to receive Taps. There will be a list of Seeing Ones further on.

(That's the difficult rule out of the way.)

Resilience- This is pretty straightforward. Every time you get hit, you may subtract this number from the damage you would take. It is mostly dependent on the type of armor you're wearing.

THP (To Hit Physical)- This is based on a combination of your ability to dodge and the quality of any armor you're wearing, keeping in mind that as you wear more armor, it lessens your ability to dodge. High potential of dodging+light armor=High THP, but it can lower your Resilience. Heavy armor+Low ability to dodge=Lower THP, but higher Resilience.

Those are all of the basics in combat, so now onto the rest of the stuff.

Species

Due to the previous wartorn state of the Universe, many of the species listed hold prejudice towards others, as they were likely on opposing sides before the Voice appeared. That being said, here they are.

Morphite- Noted for their skin that constantly changes color according to their mood. After successfully Tapping into Sygmet, they are able to assume the form of another person for a short period of time. They despise the Skyborn, normally.

Fitter- While having notable green skin and antennae, the most notable feature of this species is its ability to simply be not noticed, sometimes completely forgotten by their group. This allows for a slight upgrade in THP, and it is also because of this that it lacks negative or positive relations with other species.

Skyborn- An aristocratic species, their most noteworthy trait is the presence of wings on their backs, allowing them to fly. They consider Morphites far beneath them, and also consider themselves as rightful controllers of Androids.

Android- Robots that have reached the Even Horizon necessary to perfect artificial intelligence. This usually inhibits them from Tapping, as they are artificial, though they are usually better at Physical Attacks. While they have a general dislike for any organic life, they particularly despise the Skyborn.

Sightling- Humanoid, though they have Seeing Ones in their ancestry, giving them their signature black or grey skin. Because of their ancestry, they are more likely to perform Pact Tapping, and usually with better success. They are mostly disinterested in other species, though they still hold curiosity over Morphites and Fitters.

Hog-It's just a pig. No specialness about it, but you can talk or whatever.

Upbringings

How you were raised affects how Attack Options are available.

Reverent- You were raised reverent to a Seeing One of power. This heightens the amount of damage done by attacks done using Pact Tapping, but lowers damage done by Physical Attacks.

Tough- You were raised resilient and ready to fight. Physical Attacks do more damage, and Resilience is increased, though effectiveness of Tapping is decreased.

Studious- You were raised studying and knowledgeable. Physical Attacks do less damage, but Direct Tapping is more effective than normal.

Common- You were raised in an average upbringing. All attacks do relatively normal damage.

Malnourished- You were raised in desolate upbringing. Physical Attacks and Tapping both are much less effective.

Armor and Weaponry

Rather than giving you exactly what the armor weapons are, you guys can describe them however, but apply one of the following to both your Armor and Weapon of choice.

Armor:
Heavy (Lower THP -5, Higher Resilience +4)
Medium (Normal THP and Resilience +2)
Light (Higher THP +5, Lower Resilience +0)

Weapons:
Blunt (Increases Target's THP +5, 8 damage)
Average (No effect on THP, 5 damage)
Finesse (Decreases Target's THP -5, 3 damage)

Rules

Don't do any of the normal outrageous stuff, but I'm lax on swearing or whatever. The rest of the rules are the standard for a Turnbased, one action per round, etc. However, every once and a while you'll reach a point where at the end of the round I will state a Multiple Choice scenario, and your next reply will simply be your vote of the choices instead of a normal action. Any questions on any of this, just ask me and I'll try to clarify. Also, be prepared for characters to die, as that is a very likely option.

List of Seeing Ones

Lur'Juhn, The Benevolent- Often seeks payment in the form of charity towards your fellow man.
Tal'Hur Hul'ka, The Destructive- Takes destruction and chaos as payment for its help.
Snikkt, The Quarrelsome- Causing argument among comrades is often the required payment.
Cal'Set, The Mediator- Prefers its payment in the form of peacebringing.

To Join

Fill out the following. I'll add your Health, THP, and other stuff after you're accepted.

Name:
Species:
Upbringing:
Equipment:
Backstory:

Current Players

I accept seven at a time.
Quote from: jji10dinoName: Roy'tarc
Species: Morphite
Upbringing: Studious
Equipment: Vibroblade (finesse weapon), light black skin tight armour all around body to hide race, one way goggles to see but not be seen, jacket and long pants to cover the armour and blend in a crowd. Sometimes wears a hat to hide armour on head (medium armour).
Backstory: The middle child of an upper-middle class morphite family. The family encouraged thinking above all else, usually leading to a peaceful, thoughtful family. Unfortunately, when his older brother died, the peaceful, thoughtful family crashed and burned leaving Roy'tarc wanting more peace and thought around the universe. This led to his curiosity about the Lightway Bluff.

THP: 12
Resilience: +2
Current Health: 20
Physical Attack: -3 THP, 3 Damage
HEPs: Bonus on Direct Tapping
Quote from: DarkfireName: Arakash
Species: Skyborn
Upbringing: Reverent(Snikkt)
Equipment: Pair of pistols(Laser or otherwise)(Finesse weapon). Wears a faded black longcoat and pants over a set of lightweight body armour(Medium armour).
Backstory: Arakash was raised in a family of gamblers, drunkards, and criminals to revere Snikkt. He fled at the age of 14 as tensions, built up from years of quarreling, came to a head. He lived in society's underworld for a few long years, eventually turning to bounty hunting to pay the bills. After hearing of the Lightway Bluff, he began to search for it in hopes of a better life.

THP: 12
Resilience: +2
Physical Attack: -3 THP, 3 Damage
HEPs: Bonus on Pact Tapping
Current Pact Taps: 3

Quote from: bob1171Name: §i
Species: Sightling
Equipment: Rull black armor (light),  star╫sword (average).
Backstory: Rejected at birth and found by Cal'Set, raised by him.

THP: 17
Resilience: +0
Physical Attack: -0 THP, 5 Damage
HEPs: Bonus on Direct Tapping
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Fishmael

(Probably won't be on at all tomorrow except for in the morning, so expect accepting to be a bit delayed. Sorry about that.)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Dino

Name: Roy'tarc
Equipment: Vibroblade (finesse weapon), light black skin tight armour all around body to hide race, one way goggles to see but not be seen, jacket and long pants to cover the armour and blend in a crowd. Sometimes wears a hat to hide armour on head (medium armour).
Backstory: The middle child of an upper-middle class morphite family. The family encouraged thinking above all else, usually leading to a peaceful, thoughtful family. Unfortunately, when his older brother died, the peaceful, thoughtful family crashed and burned leaving Roy'tarc wanting more peace and thought around the universe. This led to his curiosity about the Lightway Bluff.

Dark

Name: Arakash
Equipment: Pair of pistols(Laser or otherwise)(Finesse weapon). Wears a faded black longcoat and pants over a set of lightweight body armour(Medium armour).
Backstory: Arakash was raised in a family of gamblers, drunkards, and criminals to revere Snikkt. He fled at the age of 14 as tensions, built up from years of quarreling, came to a head. He lived in society's underworld for a few long years, eventually turning to bounty hunting to pay the bills. After hearing of the Lightway Bluff, he began to search for it in hopes of a better life.
Date registered: Apr 17, 2013, 06:27:41 AM

Fishmael

Quote from: jji10dinoName: Roy'tarc
Quote from: DarkfireName: Arakash

Both accepted. We'll start once we have three, but again, I might not be able to accept again until tomorrow so there could be some delay.
ouns are they/she, pleas

Fishmael

(Eh, I'll start anyways. Two players it is.)

The two of you are situated at the Seraphim Canyon Landing, the most populous landing station, as well as the first founded landing station, on the Moon's surface. The Moon's official name is PH19, as it was the nineteenth satellite of the planet Phorojs. However, as the other eighteen moons were destroyed along with the planet they orbited, the name has lost its meaning.

As the name implies, the Seraphim Canyon Landing was built at the bottom of a deep canyon carved into the Moon's surface. As luck would have it, both of you have just landed, and are therefore standing at the landing's shipyard.
ouns are they/she, pleas

Dino

Roy'tarc looked around before stepping forward, skin shimmering a mild yellow-ish orange in anticipation beneath his armour.

Fishmael

Quote from: jji10dinoRoy'tarc looked around before stepping forward, skin shimmering a mild yellow-ish orange in anticipation beneath his armour.

It appears to be a busy day. Not many people take the risk of traveling the Moon's surface, yet today the amount of people at the base is unusually high with travellers hoping to get their hands on whatever the small Moon has in store for them.
ouns are they/she, pleas

Dino

Roy'tarc takes a deep breath before walking into the shipyard, back straight. He looks around at the ships there.

Dark

Arakash looks carefully at the people around him.

Fishmael

Quote from: jji10dinoRoy'tarc takes a deep breath before walking into the shipyard, back straight. He looks around at the ships there.

It's quite the impressive sight. There are many ships, their designs varying depending on the Species that designed them, from sleek, silver models to bulky carriers made of metal as black as coal. There would be no reason to catch a ship here, unless your plan was to leave the Moon entirely.

Quote from: DarkfireArakash looks carefully at the people around him.

Most around you are travelers, looking for the same thing you are. Some look as though they were raised in poverty, others in luxury. The Bluff attracts those from all walks of life.
ouns are they/she, pleas

Dino

Roy'tarc looks for anything interesting other than ships.

Dark

Arakash starts walking, following the general flow of the crowd.

Fishmael

Quote from: jji10dinoRoy'tarc looks for anything interesting other than ships.

The only other things of interest would be those traveling here as well. Most appear to be in groups, as that is the safest way to travel, but you notice one person walking alone, a Skyborn. Walking the Moon's surface alone is a choice synonymous with suicide.

Quote from: DarkfireArakash starts walking, following the general flow of the crowd.

You begin walking the same direction as the others, which in this case would be out of the landing, once sure they're prepared for travel. From there, the groups would separate and likely either follow the path of the canyon or attempt the more dangerous route of scaling the canyon's cliffs to save time.
ouns are they/she, pleas

Dino

A choice which I seem to have made. Roy'tarc thinks. I'd rather not mess with Skyborns though. They're trouble.

Ignoring the skyborn, Roy'tarc heads out of the shipyard and looks for more interesting things on the moon.

Dark

Arakash decides to climb the canyon's walls. He'd rather not waste time walking if given the chance, and he has wings anyway. He heads off.

Fishmael

Quote from: jji10dinoA choice which I seem to have made. Roy'tarc thinks. I'd rather not mess with Skyborns though. They're trouble.

Ignoring the skyborn, Roy'tarc heads out of the shipyard and looks for more interesting things on the moon.

The Moon is a desolate place, its surface covered in bright red dust kicked up only by the small parties of people walking along its surface, keeping distance from each other as they go. The groups act civil now, as they are within view of the Landing, which is protected by assigned Peacekeepers of near elitist status to keep any fighting from occurring, but it is not uncommon for groups to become aggressively competitive once outside of the jurisdiction of Peacekeepers.

To both sides, the walls of the canyon loom, sheer and jagged, an imposing view to most new arrivals. Climbing them is dangerous, but it's a quicker means of exiting the canyon to the unexplored world above, the only other option being to travel along the canyon's path, most of which was previously explored. Still, currently very few are even attempting to climb the walls currently.

Quote from: DarkfireArakash decides to climb the canyon's walls. He'd rather not waste time walking if given the chance, and he has wings anyway. He heads off.

His ascent is slow, yet he begins to make distance up the sheer side. The atmosphere of the Moon is slightly thinner than that of his home planet, making flying a bit uncomfortable.
ouns are they/she, pleas

Dino

Roy'tarc quickly abandons the thought of climbing the cliff and fast-walks to the canyon's path.

Fishmael

Quote from: jji10dinoRoy'tarc quickly abandons the thought of climbing the cliff and fast-walks to the canyon's path.

And so the two split apart in their paths, with Roy'tarc heading along the bottom of the canyon, and Arakash heading up the side with hopes of reaching unexplored land at a faster rate. Both continue to travel alone, though, a detail that only becomes more apparent the smaller the Landing appears on the horizon.
ouns are they/she, pleas

Fishmael

Bump. (Still crossing my fingers that more people join serendipitously...)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Dino

Roy'tarc looks around for any possible mugging sites and steers far away from them.

Dark

Arakash heads up, seeking a prospective group to tag along with.

Fishmael

Current Map:

[Cause I feel like making maps.]

Quote from: jji10dinoRoy'tarc looks around for any possible mugging sites and steers far away from them.

Dotting the base of the canyon are caves of various sizes dotting its cliffs. Roy'tarc keeps a safe distance from them, wary that someone, or rather, something, could use the area as a prime ambushing site. Still, this may get harder, as farther ahead, the canyon is littered with hoodoos that obstruct vision as well as, potentially, travel.

Quote from: DarkfireArakash heads up, seeking a prospective group to tag along with.

Arakash at last makes it out of Seraphim Canyon, and lands on flat land. Before him is a massive expanse of field, the ground covered in White Grass. A good fifty yards ahead of you, you can see another group of about three individuals traversing the fields. They are currently unaware of your presence.
ouns are they/she, pleas

Dino

Roy'tarc quickly plots a path of least resistance through the hoodoo field and runs through, keeping a hand on his vibroblade just in case.

Fishmael

Quote from: jji10dinoRoy'tarc quickly plots a path of least resistance through the hoodoo field and runs through, keeping a hand on his vibroblade just in case.

And so Roy'tarc attempts an expedient route through the Hoodoos. The naturally formed pillars race by him as he sprints through the canyon, passing one or two other groups of travelers who have no intention of getting in his way. Eventually, though, he is tired from the running and has to slow down, if only to catch his breath.

As he pauses by one of the thinner Hoodoos in the area, he hears a very, very loud noise, like something bursting through stone in the distance, followed by shouting.
ouns are they/she, pleas