News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Questions and Suggestions

Started by 360-International, Sep 21, 2012, 02:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: DarkfireNo support for profile pictures.

As it is now, the post layout is fairly streamlined and aesthetically pleasing when compared to various other forums(depending, of course, on your style of choice).
Profile pictures would add extra clutter to the page, and for little reason - signatures already allow one to display their personality, mood, or whatever else they so desire. You can easily add a picture that represents you to your signature. The aesthetic problems associated with profile pictures could be mostly avoided, however, if there was an option similar to the current 'hide user signatures' option we have now.

Additionally, for those who don't want to find or create a profile picture, they often find themselves stuck with a default one. These are almost invariably connotative of a new user, and usually ugly as well. This can force people to add a profile picture to their account, even if they may not want to. This problem, however, has an immediately apparent solution: Make profile pictures optional. This would allow those who don't care for profile pictures to simply keep the current layout we have now.

If profile pictures were optional, as was viewing others' pictures, then I would have no issue with their implementation.

tl;dr: Ugly and needless.
Actually, yeah. If I didn't have to have a profile picture and didn't have to look at others' profile pictures, it'd be fine.

Rekekka

Here is the most serious question the TBGs have yet to ask.

IS THE SUN A DEADLY LAZER?!
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

SpicyMeatball

Quote from: coolman2443Here is the most serious question the TBGs have yet to ask.

YES, INDEED
previously known as Floofy

Karanrimé

Quote from: coolman2443Here is the most serious question the TBGs have yet to ask.

:roll:

The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

CellularData

Perhaps profile pictures could be turned off in settings, so you wouldn't have to see them if you didn't want to!  And separately, you could also disable your own profile picture so no one sees yours in particular.

Until then, just add a part to your signature that says "this is my profile picture" and post a link to it
(insert something fun here)

TBGs motto of 2018: let's not die please

Shpore

Anyways. Right when I need comments and complaints, the mods lock it.
I'll use this instead.
The old tbg team member/mod post thread has been dead for over a month. If one were to  post on it, that would be necroposting, which is frowned upon in all sorts of forums.
The old one should be locked.

Yeroc8

It's not locked, just un-stickyed

DownsGameClub

Quote from: Shpore...
I'll use this instead.
The old tbg team member/mod post thread has been dead for over a month. If one were to  post on it, that would be necroposting, which is frowned upon in all sorts of forums.
Say what now?

CellularData

Quote from: DownsGameClub
I'll use this instead.
Say what now?
this exactly

Shpore

Quote from: epicanna27
Quote from: DownsGameClub
I'll use this instead.
Say what now?
this exactly
You heard me. It's what I think, anyways.

DownsGameClub

A "TBG Team/Mod post thread"?  Mind linking it?

Also, I have heard otherwise about the necroposting stuff.  They say that it's okay in this forum.

TheTealWashableMarker

Quote from: epicanna27Perhaps profile pictures could be turned off in settings, so you wouldn't have to see them if you didn't want to!  And separately, you could also disable your own profile picture so no one sees yours in particular.

Until then, just add a part to your signature that says "this is my profile picture" and post a link to it
-_- That's literally what Darkfire said...
"I can't think of a quote to put here" - me, right now

NasomiXIV

Quote from: Yeroc8It's not locked, just un-stickyed
Yeah.  It's still here.
WARNING: I am insane.
They say games are a product, rather than a service. Certainly a nice thought, however this is more fiction than truth.
Each and every day, new games are created, with most being infested with microtransactions, paid expansions, and subscription services, bogging down (or blocking off entirely) the user experience until they cough up their life savings, even after having already purchased the game. However, we as fans have remedied the problems that plague modern games through modifications and fan servers. There is, however, one last game to fix.

This is why I have changed my name. To spread awareness of what must be done. What we want. We want...NasomiXIV.

1 2

Pikachu took a vacation.

TheTealWashableMarker

Quote from: DownsGameClubA "TBG Team/Mod post thread"?  Mind linking it?

Also, I have heard otherwise about the necroposting stuff.  They say that it's okay in this forum.
Correct. You've said literally all I can say.

Tymewalk

Yep, as long as you're playing the game, necroposting is OK. That's why lots of TBGs tend to get closed in favor of old topics.
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Dino

Quote from: Tymewalk

Yep, as long as you're playing the game, necroposting is OK. That's why lots of TBGs tend to get closed in favor of old topics.
Then again, occasionally if a duplicate gets noticed too late so it has more replies than the original, the original is actually closed.

TheTealWashableMarker

I'm sorry to have to bring this all up again, but wouldn't it be an idea to set up a Wiki page about SuperDoom1? They did it for kaj on Scratch.

BRING OMG

Dino

Quote from: TheTealWashableMarkerI'm sorry to have to bring this all up again, but wouldn't it be an idea to set up a Wiki page about SuperDoom1? They did it for kaj on Scratch.

BRING OMG
Absolutely not. That would be extremely disrespectful to SuperDoom1. Although his actions may not have been the best, making an entire wikipage about him is just downright insulting him.

Karanrimé

Quote from: jji10dino
Quote from: TheTealWashableMarkerI'm sorry to have to bring this all up again, but wouldn't it be an idea to set up a Wiki page about SuperDoom1? They did it for kaj on Scratch.

BRING OMG
Absolutely not. That would be extremely disrespectful to SuperDoom1. Although his actions may not have been the best, making an entire wikipage about him is just downright insulting him.
Then again, they did a wiki Page about Floofy.

Maybe we should have wikipages bout every user; without being downright rude to some of the people who could possibly have bad things posted about them.
The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

USERNAME

Quote from: TBGChildGamer
Quote from: jji10dino

BRING OMG
Then again, they did a wiki Page about Floofy.

Maybe we should have wikipages bout every user; without being downright rude to some of the people who could possibly have bad things posted about them.
After taking a look at it, I think floofy made it for herself because she didn't want to make a userpage

Also I don't exactly agree with the idea of doing that to kaj

CellularData

Quote from: USERNAME
Quote from: TBGChildGamerThen again, they did a wiki Page about Floofy.
After taking a look at it, I think floofy made it for herself because she didn't want to make a userpage
Yep.  I think I'm going to go delete it

EDIT: Can't.  Can someone that has that ability delete it?

Tymewalk

BRING OMG
I'm pretty sure the reason they did it for kaj is because he's become somewhat of a celebrity in the Scratch community - even years after he was banned, people are still making projects about him and his alleged abilites to hack Scratch. He's also been recognized by the ST several times, for example, the user "KajTheModerator" made for April Fools' day, Lightnin's official project about kaj, etc.

However, that is a completely different case than here. Unlike kaj, SuperDoom1 can still come back and return to being a normal TBGer - despite what he's done, he can still redeem himself. jji10dino makes a good point - having the page about him be about the things he said and did would be downright insulting. He'd basically become "that guy who got banned a few times", and would never live it down.

The page on kaj also doesn't mention that much about what he did:
Kaj was a regular user on the Scratch Website and joined in 2008. Kaj originally had no intention of causing harm. However, Kaj developed a desire for more views on the projects he/she had created. After a while, Kaj got extremely annoyed about not getting more views and created a project that threatened to destroy Scratch. After a lot of inappropriate behavior, Kaj was completely banned from the Scratch Website by the Scratch Team. When someone who claimed to be Kaj contacted the Scratch Team (with decent evidence), he used the male pronoun, instead of the female pronoun used in old comments.[1]
(page as of this time of writing)

Most of the article references kaj's various "appearances", rather than what he did to get banned.

All in all, having pages about users might not be a bad idea - they could be used to note popular games made and such - but doing it solely because someone got banned can be hurtful and change the "vibe" of the community to any newcomers.
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

objecty

BRING OMG
I'm pretty sure the reason they did it for kaj is because he's become somewhat of a celebrity in the Scratch community - even years after he was banned, people are still making projects about him and his alleged abilites to hack Scratch. He's also been recognized by the ST several times, for example, the user "KajTheModerator" made for April Fools' day, Lightnin's official project about kaj, etc.

However, that is a completely different case than here. Unlike kaj, SuperDoom1 can still come back and return to being a normal TBGer - despite what he's done, he can still redeem himself. jji10dino makes a good point - having the page about him be about the things he said and did would be downright insulting. He'd basically become "that guy who got banned a few times", and would never live it down.

Kaj was a regular user on the Scratch Website and joined in 2008. Kaj originally had no intention of causing harm. However, Kaj developed a desire for more views on the projects he/she had created. After a while, Kaj got extremely annoyed about not getting more views and created a project that threatened to destroy Scratch. After a lot of inappropriate behavior, Kaj was completely banned from the Scratch Website by the Scratch Team. When someone who claimed to be Kaj contacted the Scratch Team (with decent evidence), he used the male pronoun, instead of the female pronoun used in old comments.[1]

Most of the article references kaj's various "appearances", rather than what he did to get banned.

All in all, having pages about users might not be a bad idea - they could be used to note popular games made and such - but doing it solely because someone got banned can be hurtful and change the "vibe" of the community to any newcomers.
On Scratch SD1 said he was going to leave the TBGs permanently
I don't use this website anymore (although I may check in or post occasionally), and have not for a while now. Sincerest apologies if you were wishing to communicate with me.
The vast majority of the things I have posted on here are old, and I regret them extremely. My attitude (i.e. annoyingness level (i.e. very high)) in such posts are (hopefully) not indicative of my current attitude (i.e. probably considerably less annoying). I thank all of my friends from earlier times here for tolerating my ignorance and idiocy.
Thank you.
(Also, I don't normally talk (well, type) like this. I just think it's fun. Bye.)

Dino

Quote from: Beagel

BRING OMG

On Scratch SD1 said he was going to leave the TBGs permanently
Saying is different from doing. Especially when it's something as severe as that.

TheTealWashableMarker

oh. soo we're doing user pages?