News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

A Guide to Role-Playing (in progress)

Started by kayybee, Oct 15, 2012, 04:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratchisthebest

necrosticky

Something I see happen all too often is this:

Quote from: bobI discover that I can fly! I try it out.
Quote from: joeI look up and see someone flying.

Well, joe, I could have told you that.
Hi

eveadelekitty

Quote from: PreoKid
Quote from: scratchisthebest
Quote from: PreoKidTechnically, wouldn't the Role-Playing VS. Story Telling thing depend somewhat on the RPG as well? I agree that first person is a better idea, but if the owner of the RPG starts it in third person, they probably intend to have you post in third person.
Some RPGs work better in first person, some better in 3rd. Switching between them is usually a no.
My thoughts exactly. Just pointing out that not all RPGs are intended to be played in first person. ;)
If you have multiple characters, it may be easier to use third person.
Or you could just state whose POV it is.
In this example, player1 has two characters.
(Bella's POV)
I walk up to Andy. Seeing him tired, I put an arm behind him for him to lean on.
(Andrew's POV) I feel an arm support me. Good, I was about to collapse! I turn
my head and see Bella beside me. I always looked up to her.
See? It can work if you try!

mmm whatcha sayyyy

TheLetterThorn

Quote from: eveadelekitty
Quote from: PreoKid
Quote from: scratchisthebestSome RPGs work better in first person, some better in 3rd. Switching between them is usually a no.
My thoughts exactly. Just pointing out that not all RPGs are intended to be played in first person. ;)
If you have multiple characters, it may be easier to use third person.
Or you could just state whose POV it is.
In this example, player1 has two characters.
(Bella's POV)
I walk up to Andy. Seeing him tired, I put an arm behind him for him to lean on.
(Andrew's POV) I feel an arm support me. Good, I was about to collapse! I turn
my head and see Bella beside me. I always looked up to her.
See? It can work if you try!
(necroreply) Have you ever actually seen a successful roleplayer who's done that?

From my experience, most RPGs that allow you to have multiple characters are in third person. (There used to be a time when nearly all RPGs were in third person. First person RPGs are a more recent development.) In first-person RPGs, you're usually playing a self-insert character, which can be a bad idea because they tend to become Mary-Sues. Ordinarily in self-insert RPGs, I play with both a self-insert character and one or more NPCs. The NPCs get referred to in the third person, the self-insert gets referred to in the first person. (Don't do this unless you have permission from the topic owner.)
Thorn | TBG Team | Massive Nerd
Currently on vacation and will remain active until the spring semester.
Obsessed with William Butler Yeats until further notice.
Visit my website, where I display my creative and web projects.
Pronouns: at this point do i even know? (he/him/his)

Faressain

Hmm, interesting. But what about non-human roles meeting human roles? Human hearing clearly what animal is saying is still uncommon mistake, because of only few of RPs take place where there are humans AND creatures. Also, voice mistakes - like: Chirping, growling as human etc. Like that. If you're unsure how it talks, just use human saying terms. Also, some RPers tend to simplify actions. You wouldn't want to see like 75 posts of Romeo and Juliet book-worthy posts at once. But too simplified is bad too. It's all about balance.

Also, the rare mistake, but still a mistake will be plot twist too much. Like turning lore 100 times in a row? Seriously?

And try to roll for actions, maybe not everywhere, but at some things for sure. Also, about actions - you can't also do some things (those have limits due to your negative perks or changes, like losing two arms disables you from grabbing, losing legs makes you can't run or jump etc.), even if you rolled 10s, 100s, 1000s or even 1000000s! It don't matter!
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

SplatKirby

I would argue that rolls aren't necessary in a RPG with seasoned players. A seasoned player should be able to analyze the plot (and where it's going) and balance what their character wants with a healthy amount of the other character wants (e.g., in a swordfight between two characters, character A would write: "I stab with my sword," and character B would reply: "I clutch my shoulder as the blade sinks into it").

As for your second point, I agree. Your first point, though, is what I'm finding hard to understand. Are you saying that non-human player characters shouldn't write their lines as if they're speaking like humans?
"I'm a Libra, if it matters." -Weezer, Feels Like Summer

Trepak

Quote from: FaressainAnd try to roll for actions, maybe not everywhere, but at some things for sure.

I rarely have rolling in my games, especially if they're more plot based than fighting based.
Like the Red Clothed Pheonix, once I die, it is not that I have left. I have stopped existing, yet another me was already there.

I'm an alt account. I'm an alt account. I'm an alt account. I'm an alt account. I'm an alt account.

Rekekka

Quote from: Trepak
Quote from: FaressainAnd try to roll for actions, maybe not everywhere, but at some things for sure.

I rarely have rolling in my games, especially if they're more plot based than fighting based.
This is exactly like DnD or Rifts. If it is very plot heavy rather than being combat based, you seldom have to roll, except when making a perception check or trying to get past a bluff. If it does involve combat however, expect alot of rolling.
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

Faressain

Yeah. But you can also self-roll.

Also, at first point - non-human characters may or may not be able to understand humans, same applies in other way.

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Trepak

Quote from: FaressainAlso, at first point - non-human characters may or may not be able to understand humans, same applies in other way.

That should be in reference to the rules made by the game's creator foremost.
Like the Red Clothed Pheonix, once I die, it is not that I have left. I have stopped existing, yet another me was already there.

I'm an alt account. I'm an alt account. I'm an alt account. I'm an alt account. I'm an alt account.

Faressain

Yeah. But like - Humans understanding creatures is just big misunderstanding.

Tymewalk

Quote from: FaressainYeah. But like - Humans understanding creatures is just big misunderstanding.
Unless the game mechanics give them some ability. For example, Animal Tamers or Druids (nature wizards) could speak to animals as part of their abilities.

This doesn't mean everyone gets to, though. GMs, don't let your all-strength-based players suddenly gain this ability, and players, don't expect it to happen.
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Faressain

Yeah. But well, that's just in the exceptions.

SpicyMeatball

I'm kind of surprised that no one has started a lecture here on how to make a good character.

Well, i'll just go ahead and be that person 'v'

There are WAY to many OCs like this:
-They have an eye-bleeding color palette (so, way to many neon colors that just don't make sense)
-They are usually drawn badly (That doesn't really apply to here since this isn't an art website, but it's something to consider if you become attached to our character)
-They have a personality like this: Cute (Not a personality trait), friendly but can snap your neck, strong (Not a personality trait), beautiful (which isn't a personality trait), smart (also not a personalty trait), fast (Heck, why don't we count all of these 'personality traits'?), faster, smarter, and more beautiful than all of you (Repeated traits, also not personality traits) :DDD (<-- They often use emojis in random places, which bugs me)
-In the thing above, there was only ONE valid personalty trait, which was a positive one.
-Speaking of that, they never add NEGATIVE traits. NOBODY IS PERFECT! Many people on the internet (notably the 10 & 11 year olds) never balance out their characters.
-This is an example of a good/balanced out character:
[name] is friendly, but awkward, and hard to get along with. [name] is childish, with many fears (see, 'with many fears' isn't a personality trait, but i incorporated it with one. It adds to the 'childish' aspect), and [name] isn't very daring.
-Of course, this rule is one that most of you wont need to pay attention to, but a few people here and there will take the negative trait thing to far, stripping their character of anything positive. For example, the character is short with horribly matted hair (or no hair at all), very thin, and has a weird disease in their eyes. [name] has more fears than you can name, almost every type of disease there is, and a horrible family tree. [name] has never left their room for almost a year, and sits there every day, crying.

I hope that small lecture helped you a little bit if you're new to role playing, or stuck and want to make a new character.
previously known as Floofy

Dino

Quote from: FloofyI'm kind of surprised that no one has started a lecture here on how to make a good character.

-They have an eye-bleeding color palette (so, way to many neon colors that just don't make sense)
-They are usually drawn badly (That doesn't really apply to here since this isn't an art website, but it's something to consider if you become attached to our character)
-They have a personality like this: Cute (Not a personality trait), friendly but can snap your neck, strong (Not a personality trait), beautiful (which isn't a personality trait), smart (also not a personalty trait), fast (Heck, why don't we count all of these 'personality traits'?), faster, smarter, and more beautiful than all of you (Repeated traits, also not personality traits) :DDD (<-- They often use emojis in random places, which bugs me)
-In the thing above, there was only ONE valid personalty trait, which was a positive one.
-Speaking of that, they never add NEGATIVE traits. NOBODY IS PERFECT! Many people on the internet (notably the 10 & 11 year olds) never balance out their characters.
[name] is friendly, but awkward, and hard to get along with. [name] is childish, with many fears (see, 'with many fears' isn't a personality trait, but i incorporated it with one. It adds to the 'childish' aspect), and [name] isn't very daring.
-Of course, this rule is one that most of you wont need to pay attention to, but a few people here and there will take the negative trait thing to far, stripping their character of anything positive. For example, the character is short with horribly matted hair (or no hair at all), very thin, and has a weird disease in their eyes. [name] has more fears than you can name, almost every type of disease there is, and a horrible family tree. [name] has never left their room for almost a year, and sits there every day, crying.

I hope that small lecture helped you a little bit if you're new to role playing, or stuck and want to make a new character.
Nice. Mind you, the part about balancing out is easier said than done. I'm afraid I'm guilty of a few Gary Stu's myself.

SpicyMeatball

Quote from: jji10dino
Quote from: FloofyI'm kind of surprised that no one has started a lecture here on how to make a good character.

Nice. Mind you, the part about balancing out is easier said than done. I'm afraid I'm guilty of a few Gary Stu's myself.

They're probably not that bad, could you copy paste his/her personality onto the chat?

Dino

Quote from: Floofy

They're probably not that bad, could you copy paste his/her personality onto the chat?
...every single one?

SpicyMeatball

Quote from: jji10dinoNice. Mind you, the part about balancing out is easier said than done. I'm afraid I'm guilty of a few Gary Stu's myself.

...every single one?
Nah, just one

Dino

Quote from: FloofyThey're probably not that bad, could you copy paste his/her personality onto the chat?
...every single one?
Nah, just one
My character in Cornwell Quest and also my latest one in the Eldwik tales.

SpicyMeatball

Quote from: jji10dino...every single one?
Nah, just one
My character in Cornwell Quest and also my latest one in the Eldwik tales.
I think it's fine

the2000

I wonder... If Apple is "balanced". I gave them many perks, but at least I used a real personality trait (well, one, and it's to make them look bad). I guess it's balanced since Apple only has a given trait, and that's ANNOYING, but I gave them perks for them to be slightly important, because they have a robot on their eye which can do things like fix programming errors, and BEST OF ALL, they can take dangerous items from Apple. Also they can insult Apple. I guess Scitech balances out Apple.
wasteof - the game of joining the game continues

<-- This is my friend dan. we are good chums
DAN FACT OF THE DAY: dan can only count to six on his hands

SpicyMeatball

Don't hog the spotlight for 50 pAGES *LONG COUGH* KALSHLEY *LONGER COUGHHHHH* *coughing fit*

Faressain

Like - also don't do clogposts like "Okay."

Rekekka

It would be nice to add at least a layer of depth when responding.

For example, if someone suggests something like, "I'd think it would be best if we hang out!" Instead of responding with "Okay." maybe you could respond like this: "Well, what would we be doing?" or "That might be a good idea." character1 says, wondering what they would be doing.
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

NuclearArmadillo

[removed by moderator - inappropriate]