News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Cause and Effect

Started by Tymewalk, Oct 27, 2015, 07:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tymewalk

(Inspired by seanbobe's Tied Fates.)

In most multi-file games, everyone plays their own separate version. In Tied Fates (the MFG I was inspired to make this by), two players play one file, and each player controls the success of the other.
This MFG is different.

Every player plays down a separate path. However, what one player does in one path may control what another player does in another path. For example:

Quote from: Me in User 1's fileYou walk. There is a button.
Quote from: User 1I press the button.
Later...
Quote from: Me in User 2's fileYou walk to the door, but the door closes.

The players are not working together, they are playing separate games.

How To Play
Simply say what you want to do. At every step, the room will be described. You can look closer at objects, move into different areas, etc.
If an action happens while you are in that room, it will be described. If you're nearby, you may hear sounds.
Looking at other players' files is discouraged. However, keep in mind that by the time you interact with another player, it may be too late.

How It Will Work
I'll keep a personal (on my computer, not the site) file of what all the buttons/switches do and how the paths have been affected. I'll use this to describe each area as needed.
I'll create files as needed (up to 3), but even if the file for the path you change isn't created, it will still be affected when it is.
For example, file X hasn't been created yet. Somebody presses a button, and a door in file X is closed.
When file X is created and the player reaches that door, it will still be closed.

Additional Rules
You may not post on other players' files.
You may not share information about your path here in the lobby.
Reading other files is OK, but highly discouraged. (After all, how would it be fun if you knew what you were doing? :P )

Additional Details
Each path starts out identical. The paths are only changed by other people doing things in their own paths.
You can exit the path, at which point you win and that path is open to play. However, any changes you made stay for the next person.
There will always be some way to exit, even if the path is blocked - it may just take a while.
You may only play one path at once.
When travelling between rooms, some halls are only one-way. You will be told these halls are one-way only, and if you can go through them or not.

How To Join
Simply post saying "I'd like to join Path X". You'll be added. Note that as of now, all the paths are full.

Why did I get a message if I didn't do anything?
Sometimes what people do in other paths affects you, and if you're close enough to hear or see it, you'll be told what you see or hear.

Paths:
Path 1: joefarebrother
Path 2: Smiley100P
Path 3: DrKat123_TBG

List of players who have escaped:
None so far. Maybe you can change that?

If anything is wrong, let me know. This is my first MFG.
Also, should I expand this to 6 paths (with Paths 1-3 and Paths 4-6 being separate)?
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

DrKat123_TBG

I would like to request a file.

OOPS, FORGOT TO ADD SOMETHINGS:
Your first MFG is okay !
this was my previous account

joefarebrother

I'd like to join path 1
Play me on chess.com! Scratch group!   √-1 2³ ∑ 3.14, and it was delicious!

Either your internet was too slow, or you're using the wrong theme, so you lost the game.

Starmeadows

Tymewalk

Quote from: DrKat123_TBGI would like to request a file.
You're gonna have to join path 3. Is that OK?
Quote from: DrKat123_TBGOOPS, FORGOT TO ADD SOMETHINGS:
Your first MFG is okay !
Thank you!
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Tymewalk

Quote from: joefarebrotherI'd like to join path 1
Done.
Quote from: Smiley100PPath 2 pls
Here you go!

DrKat123_TBG

this was my previous account

Tymewalk

Quote from: DrKat123_TBGI'm OK with path 3.
Then here you go! https://tbgforums.com/forums/index.php?msg=220041

ev3commander

What. there can be only one person in a path at a time?

Gah. I guess I'll wait until someone escapes...
I have regrets.

Seanbobe

Can you update my MFG name?
My joke RPG: Instructions Unclear: The RPG of Memes
My serious RPG: Stop the Spambots!
My offline life: error 404

Tymewalk

Quote from: ev3commanderTBGWhat. there can be only one person in a path at a time?

Gah. I guess I'll wait until someone escapes...
Yes. Although I am considering making 3 new paths (which are not linked to the current 3 and are completely different.)

Quote from: seanbobeCan you update my MFG name?
Done.

ev3commander

Quote from: TymewalkYes. Although I am considering making 3 new paths (which are not linked to the current 3 and are completely different.)
Done.
In total there can be 7 (8?) files at once.
I have regrets.

Luigis_Pizza

Is it too late to join, this sounds awesome
Give The Reality a Chance, Let it sink in...
Status Message: Seeping into your dreams since January 13th 2024
Almost...
Call me Luigi or Matt/Matthew. I like JJBA. I released a game on gamejolt under Ernie_Games_Official. Made the 666666th post and I used to be the most active because I have no life...
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is awesome
My discord is phantomluigi, please contact me if you want to chat im bored (or send me an email)

Tymewalk

Quote from: Luigis_Pizza on May 22, 2023, 02:27:09 PMIs it too late to join, this sounds awesome
Unfortunately, you're about 8 years too late. :P

Joking aside though, yeah, I'm not planning on running this game anymore, so I'm gonna just close this topic.