News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

A guide to running an RPG

Started by PreoKid, Jul 20, 2013, 07:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PreoKid

Stickied! Thanks, guys. :)

I noticed that while there are guides to RPGing, there is no guide to making an RPG that I could find.
I'm not exactly an expert, having made no more than one (Quest, if you wanted to see it). But I thought I'd try my hand at making a guide anyway. None of these are rules; just suggestions. If you disagree with any of them or think I missed something, please let me know.

1. Have a plot.
It's not the best idea to just say, "here's a random world, do whatever you want." Your game will die out pretty quickly without an objective of some sort. Instead, you might say, "here is a castle, find your way out." This will give users an objective to achieve. You also need to make sure they know where to start. A lot of RPGs will let you start wherever you want, but it's a good idea to set some boundaries. For example, you wouldn't want someone to start their game spying on the evil warlord that everyone is trying to defeat. That would make them significantly closer than anyone else to achieving the goal. Not incredibly fair, eh?
 Basically, have a plan. That doesn't mean plan out every single post. That would be more like a story than a game. Which brings me to...

2. Don't force the story!
Now that you have a plot, you need to trust your players to accomplish the objective. As much as you were hoping they would take the door to the prison and have to fight the giant fire monster, they might decide to jump out the window. That's okay, it's a game. You can set the rules, but you can't play it for the players. Speaking of rules...

3. Have your rules in the topic post.
Don't leave the players guessing about what they're allowed to do. If jumping out the window would ruin the game, put it in the rules. Of course, it's hard to think of everything, so you might not think you needed to put "no jumping out the window." In this case, you need to broaden the rule to something that covers all the possibilities. "You must use the doors," would work nicely here. Of course, you couldn't possibly cover every possibility. Just try to cover as many as possible.

4. Make sure people know how to join.
One of the problems with most RPGs is that there's not a very clear idea of what you need to do to join. Make sure this is in your topic post. Most people use a form including such things as "Name", "Gender", and anything else they might need to know about their character. In these cases, simple is best. Don't make players tell their character's favorite food, where they lived eight years ago, and whether their belly-button goes in or out unless it's relevant to the RPG. Anything not in the form will develop and be revealed as the RPG goes on.
Another way to do it is to make it self insert. This means that the user play's as his or her TBG username. Quest uses this method, but also requires the user to give an age and a signature weapon. That's okay, you can have a form in self insert, just remember to keep it simple.
Also make sure they know if they're still allowed to join once it's reached, say... Page 17. A lot of users don't know how to introduce themselves to a story that's already half finished being told. Even if it's only on page 3, make sure they know how long they can still join in.

5. Don't Dictate.
Similar to number 2. Just cause you're the owner of the RPG doesn't mean you can justify powerplaying. You're still a player, and what's more, you're an example to the other players. Just think, it's your job to tell the story. What kind of story would it be if your character was the only one who did anything?
Try not to abuse your RPG power of awesomeness.

6. Keep the theme generic.
Not everyone watches Doctor Who, so a Whovian RPG would exclude quite a few potential players. It would be awesome, sure, but it wouldn't be awesome for everyone. Try to keep your RPG something that everyone can join if they want to. "DC Superheroes RPG" and "The Island RPG" are examples of generic RPGs as they don't require knowledge of certain shows or games. One might argue that "DC Superheroes RPG" requires knowledge of certain superheroes. That's okay. Because it's a broad topic, just about everyone knows about at least one DC Superhero.
Of course, there's also the option of coming up with a story of your own. This works as long as you explain it sufficiently in your topic post. I use this method in Quest, giving a background story of a land that has been overrun by enemy creatures. As long as you include enough detail in the topic post, you should be able to get away with even the craziest scenarios. I recall one in which a league of villains used hair gel and hat powers to take over the world. This one worked because the story was explained enough for you to know what's going on.

7. Be active.
Even if you can only get on on the weekends, take every opportunity you get to keep the story going.  If you follow every suggestion above, but leave the game and hope it works out for whoever plays, it's not going to work. You're the storyteller. No one else knows that the only way to defeat the elf king is to destroy the great gem of Sycla, and nobody else knows when it's suddenly going to start raining acid and you have to get inside before it burns through your skin.
People will have questions, you need to be there to answer them.

This is all I have at the moment, but I will add more as I think of it or as you suggest it. Thanks for reading! ;)
"Many people hear voices when no one is there.
Some of them are called 'mad' and shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day.
Others are called 'writers,' and they do pretty much the same thing."

- Meg Chittenden

chocolatepenguin

Nice!  If you want an example for 6, try the Giant Robots RPG.  It's heavily based off of Pacific Rim, but in a way that means that you don't need to understand the storyline.

PreoKid

Thanks! I looked at it, and It follows number six well, but I feel like ones I have up there are clearer examples. Thanks for your input! :D
Some of them are called 'mad' and shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day.

- Meg Chittenden

mintfang

Actually, I think that DC Superheroes is a bad example of a generic thing. You said yourself, not everyone knows a DC Superhero. I don't.

In Mr. Weasley we trust.

PreoKid

Quote from: mintfangActually, I think that DC Superheroes is a bad example of a generic thing. You said yourself, not everyone knows a DC Superhero. I don't.
Yeah, I was feeling lazy when I made this, so I didn't track down a better example. I'll look into updating it. Thanks for the feedback! :)

- Meg Chittenden

mintfang

Quote from: PreoKid
Quote from: mintfangActually, I think that DC Superheroes is a bad example of a generic thing. You said yourself, not everyone knows a DC Superhero. I don't.
Yeah, I was feeling lazy when I made this, so I didn't track down a better example. I'll look into updating it. Thanks for the feedback! :)

You're welcome!

In Mr. Weasley we trust.

fred

Nice guide. :)
Do you mind if I add it to my RPG forum?

DaAlchemist

Ah excuse me, the CYOAs that seem to be so popular here now honestly don't seem like RPGs... they should have their own section.
My ideas aren't interesting enough.
Or there just aren't enough people to play them.
Not enough people on RPGs.
Wait, 8 guests?
At least Perplexicon is active. Laser, Darkfire, lalala, jji10dino, and Alpa, the game is moving!
Four turns online. More to come...

Fishmael

Quote from: DaAlchemistAh excuse me, the CYOAs that seem to be so popular here now honestly don't seem like RPGs... they should have their own section.
Well, there are very few of them, and you technically are playing the roll of one character.
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

shredthe3rd

shredthe3rd

This website seems very old, but very unactive!

Dino

Quote from: shredthe3rdThis website seems very old, but very unactive!
It's actually not that old and just about 5 months ago it was like crazy active. I'd put a post on a RPG and a few seconds later, there'd be a reply.

I think the TBG Forums were made like extremely late 2012.

Shadow

We need more active members.  :3
Please enter this competition.  <-- Click here.  

Every entry gives me another one, and I really want the sound effects.

Dino

Quote from: ShadowWe need more active members.  :3
Hypocrite... :P

Shadow

I have an excuse, called HSC in Australia.  

Plus I was saying we needed more members in general.

Dino

Quote from: ShadowI have an excuse, called HSC in Australia.  

Plus I was saying we needed more members in general.
Higher School Certificate? Oh... it's in NSW. I live in QLD. Whatever.

Anyway, I agree with the second half... anyway to advertise?

Shadow

Ahhh, I didn't realise you were in Oz as well.  Haha.  

I'm not sure, but it would have to be discussed with skyline anyway.

Fishmael

Or we could drown the internet in the dreaded... FRIENDLY WORD OF MOUTH INVITATIONS!
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

DrKat123_TBG

this was my previous account

findanegg

#2 could also be retitled "No Railroad Plots."
She/they, likes collecting Stamps and playing runescape. Veteran of the Sandwich War.

Rekekka

Another thing I would suggest, but is not required, is to put dice rolls in your RP for combat.
Why roll for actions? Well, there are a few of reasons why.
    A: This prevents someone from openly saying they kill something in one blow.
    B: You can dish out benefits from describing your attack for more detail, giving others an
    incentive for being better RPers.
    C:  It slows down the RP so the GM can see everyone's actions in combat.
Please note, that this generally only applies to combat. If you are outside of combat and just want to smack someone upside the head, this does not apply.
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

Faressain

The same effect is applied by having trust in TBGers. This, however, is more risky.
I'll list 3 benefits and risks with this.
B1: This can get someone fair to attack the target just like he wanted, not by dice, also he can also make his fail/success obvious, also he can add more details and actions, unlike with the dice (because he has no control over his character during dice time), like:
Diced RP: <person> attacks with a spear, trying to pierce enemy' heart.
<person> failed to do it and he's now in disadvantageous position.
Normal RP: <person> attacked with a spear, aiming for heart, but somehow he misaimed, hitting the air somehow. The weight of spear and momentum made him fall into disadvantageous position.
(Note that's just two examples)
R1: Unfair ones might use it to OH-Kill characters.
B2: You get to know more of TBGers themselves, maybe also. making the RP speed optimal.
R2: There might be battles where people are impatient (speed goes too fast) and all you see are corpses. What, it happened to me in CoPKMN and in CQ, the second also used dice.
B3: There's no need for GM from like... Germany, Poland or so to post updates 12 hours behind the posters.
R3: There's also risk for uncontrolled actions like sped up RP, openly saying up to OH-Kill character or even broken game.

In short, no dice is optimal for GMs like me, but risky.
Dice rolls are safer, but then it requires GM's actions usually, unless player rolls for himself (there might be also cheating here)
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Tymewalk

Dice rolls do require the GM to do them, but this isn't a major problem if you already have a GM to announce stuff like that.
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Faressain

Okay, follow up to comment in https://tbgforums.com/forums/index.php?msg=452195, you really need to get a critical claim to RPGs.

Contrary to what someone *cough* jji10dino said, 1x1 ARE Role-plays. The people there just feel like RPing in closed relationship.

Now, the nightmare - joke RPs.

They already break the first point - have a plot. Good RP has to have a plot.

But I must add something more - you need also a setting. Plot is like what happened prior to day the RP is taking place, and setting is where we begin, in what circumstances, what we do expect.

Some RPGs, like Create a Characters are RPGs, because their plots adapt to characters created, and not characters to plot. It's a good idea to have a middle ground there though - compromise.

For 6 - I disagree. The generic theme sometimes just won't work sometimes. An interesting fandom RP can bring people to play it, even without prior knowledge (happened very long time ago).

Now that I know this, it's probably better to either have combat work on common sense on lesser encounters, and dice on greater ones. For example - hunting your prey is natural - the prey is too weak to be discernible.
Also, introduce injury boxes, and have penalties apply on them on rolls. It's much like fighting in Duels.

Don't follow the trends. They leave as quickly as they begin, and if it gets too boring, the RPG will be left unfinished and without support.

Induce some sort of control over other characters if you're OP. For example - if the characters are left to wilderness, and you have a character yourself, hide the GM posts with the transparent text.

For GMs - Your character shouldn't know the meta, it should go independently from your narration.

Stats, Dice and/or Actions all have a flaw. However, we can't guarantee whoever is behind the screen and typing the words is the troll, neither that they're innocent. This caused Darkfire yell at me for trying to give players dice. This works as long as you're in trusted party or 1x1. Not on random parties. Remember the D&D parties? Players rolled dice for their characters.
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Dino

Quote from: Itaku-snip-
Going to point out two things.

Firstly, I am not saying that 1x1s are not RPGs. I have never said that. I'm saying that they are RPGs that are not suitable for the TBGs, which is a public forum.

Secondly, condemning joke RPGs for breaking one of the suggestions on this post, then pointing out that another suggestion is flawed is an unsound argument. If you want to know why, just think about it. If you point out that a dictionary has wrong pronunciations, then use that same dictionary to correct someone's pronunciation, would that be trustable? Not really, because the dictionary has already proven itself to be imperfect.

Thirdly, the "rules" on this post aren't rules at all. Preokid said it himself:

Quote from: PreokidI'm not exactly an expert, having made no more than one. But I thought I'd try my hand at making a guide anyway. None of these are rules; just suggestions. If you disagree with any of them or think I missed something, please let me know.

Using suggestions from an amateur at RPG-making (no offence Preo, you said it first) to say that joke RPGs are not good is just a bad argument.