News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

A Guide to Role-Playing (in progress)

Started by kayybee, Oct 15, 2012, 04:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayybee

This is a guide to wonderful role-playing (at least in my perspective, probably not in others' but...).

[Mods: if you want to finish this to ahead but you probably don't.]

There are several parts: writing your posts, creating your characters, and creating the overall plot of your (own) RPG.
YOUR POSTS
First let's start with an example.
I walk up to another boy and say "Hi! What's your name?"
and then:
I see another boy getting up, around 4 yards away. He seems confused, as if he were lost. I assume he is lost, as the rest of us are. (You know, because we're kinda in the middle of a forest, with nothing at all...) I stand up and start walking. I trip on some girl's arm and crash into a tree. Great. As I get up, with a bruise on my forehead, I start to walk towards the boy again, this time looking around and stepping cautiously to avoid stepping or tripping on people's arms. As I turn to look forward again, I crash into yet another tree. I'm starting to hate this world already. As I get up, walking even more slowly, I finally approach the boy, who is standing next to the red-orange flag. "Hi! What's your name?" (I say to Iggy, whose name I do not know)
Even though the above quote isn't the best it could be, it's still much better than the first one, right?

Step 1: Plan your actions
Even writing something like the first quote is fine. For now.
Try planning what you're going to do, at least in your mind so you have a guide on where to go.

Step 2: Interesting-erise It
Make it more interesting. Like the second quote, add some small actions that make the post more interesting. I didn't have to crash or trip, yet it's more interesting than just walking over.
This step is fairly easy.
Remember to also describe how your character does things. Instead of saying "I walk over there.", you can first look around, then stand up, perhaps notice something, then walk over there.

Step 3: DETAILS!!!
This is probably the most important part. Well, at least the hardest.
I lay down.
I feel it is currently 10 minutes before sundown. From the top of the hill (I discovered it's north of the woods) I watch the sunset, golden orange, with the sky ablaze from sunlight. I lie down in the soft, fluffy grass, relaxing and enjoying this beautiful world, resting my head that crashed into a million different objects earlier today.
I wonder which is more enjoyable to the reader...
That's the whole point; an enjoyable RPG is like a story to the reader. That's what makes it intense and fun.

Common Mistakes: (added 4/22/13)
Powerplaying: Having supernatural or extreme powers/abilities that is essentially cheating. It makes the game unfair and unenjoyable.
ex: "I grab the dragon and punch it and it dies. I win. The end. I am the god of the world."
Spelling/Grammar Errors: You don't need to have perfect English (don't go searching up whether your comma goes in or outside of your quotation marks) but make sure it's readable.
Bad example: "i go derr n 8 sum beris and tok 2 u"
Good example: "I go there and eat some berries and talk to you."
It's okay if you have like two ands or whatever as long as it's easy to read.
Un-Role-Player: This is when someone is not role-playing but thinks they are.
Role-playing is... essentially "playing a role". You are not "telling a story" but "playing a role" (in most games).*
example #1: "Karth runs up to the dragon. He realizes how weak he is and runs back to shelter."
example #2: "I run up to the dragon. I realize how weak I am and run back to shelter."
*Some RPGs use the "example #1" as the correct way of RPing altho most do the "example #2" but it depends on the RPG

SplatKirby

Mention powerplaying in 'YOUR POSTS.' It seems like it would go there.
"I'm a Libra, if it matters." -Weezer, Feels Like Summer

kayybee

ehh... I think I'll create a "most common mistakes" sections or something.

SplatKirby

'Kay, sounds good. (No pun intended.)

How about something about spelling and grammar?

kayybee

Quote from: SplatKirby'Kay, sounds good. (No pun intended.)

How about something about spelling and grammar?
I think that would fit under common mistakes too. Thanks for reminding me about all this.

SplatKirby

elfin8er

Finally! Can't wait til it's done. Maybe post something about how to join in. I find it really hard to join in sometimes, unless I read the ENTIRE forum (Sometimes 100's of pages).

SplatKirby

That's true, although kudos for good reading. :P

Examples of different situations would be good.

elfin8er

Quote from: SplatKirbyExamples of different situations would be good.

+1

kayybee

Quote from: SplatKirbyThat's true, although kudos for good reading. :P

Examples of different situations would be good.
I started a new rpg just to get more situations :P

And I'll update it soon, but schoolwork is really busying me.

DalmationCat

Can you see this??

kayybee

Tips of the... TimeframewhichIwillkeepthesetipsupanditwillendwhenIpostmore:
-use spelling and grammar correctly. it's annoying when you don't and makes your post hard to read.
-description is harder than detail so try working on detail first.
Detail: I go to the zoo>>>>>I take a seat and bounce a little on the taxi seat, and give my request to go to the zoo.
Description: I sat on the taxi seat>>>>>The soft, cushiony seat with luxurious leather gave out a puff of gushing air as I sat the weight of my heavy body onto it.

IMPORTANT!
-this is the ROLE PLAYING forums, not the STORY TELLING forums. Play a role, don't tell a story. use first, not third person.
Role playing: I go to the zoo. I see candy.
Story telling: Bob goes to the zoo. He sees candy.

kayybee

updated 4/22/12, added "Common Mistakes"

DalmationCat

Cool, does this count?
Bramblefire: Hi.. - flicks tail -

Can you see this??

Tai-Guy

Quote from: DalmationCatdoes this count?
as?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

]
                                                                                                                                                            Earth and Moon, showing their sizes and distance to scale. The yellow bar represents a pulse of light traveling from Earth to Moon in 1.26 seconds.

Zoomreddin

Quote from: Tai-Guy
Quote from: DalmationCatdoes this count?
as?
A proper RP. Also they were addressing kayybee I believe.

kayybee

Quote from: DalmationCatCool, does this count?
That looks like you're writing a play now.
I think that role-playing should be in first person when controlling your character.

scratchisthebest

Quote from: kayybee
Quote from: DalmationCatCool, does this count?
That looks like you're writing a play now.
I think that role-playing should be in first person when controlling your character.
This.

Also, it might just be me, but if I write in first person it helps me... you know, get into a role playing mood. When you refer to a character as "I", you kind of slip in to their personality. Try it!
Hi

scratchisthebest

Random tip: when making a character, on't pile on advantages.
It gets so boring for you if you can do everything. Try thinking of disadvantages to counter your advantages. To make you think a lot more.

Also, if you have a lack of inspiration go flip through a GURPS manual or something. especially the advantages and disadvantages section.
Hi

PreoKid

Technically, wouldn't the Role-Playing VS. Story Telling thing depend somewhat on the RPG as well? I agree that first person is a better idea, but if the owner of the RPG starts it in third person, they probably intend to have you post in third person.
"Many people hear voices when no one is there.
Some of them are called 'mad' and shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day.
Others are called 'writers,' and they do pretty much the same thing."

- Meg Chittenden

scratchisthebest

Quote from: PreoKidTechnically, wouldn't the Role-Playing VS. Story Telling thing depend somewhat on the RPG as well? I agree that first person is a better idea, but if the owner of the RPG starts it in third person, they probably intend to have you post in third person.
Some RPGs work better in first person, some better in 3rd. Switching between them is usually a no.
Hi

PreoKid

Quote from: scratchisthebest
Quote from: PreoKidTechnically, wouldn't the Role-Playing VS. Story Telling thing depend somewhat on the RPG as well? I agree that first person is a better idea, but if the owner of the RPG starts it in third person, they probably intend to have you post in third person.
Some RPGs work better in first person, some better in 3rd. Switching between them is usually a no.
My thoughts exactly. Just pointing out that not all RPGs are intended to be played in first person. ;)
"Many people hear voices when no one is there.
Some of them are called 'mad' and shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day.
Others are called 'writers,' and they do pretty much the same thing."

- Meg Chittenden

joefarebrother

You should mention that RPGs where you have more than one character are usually third person while most others are usually first person.
Play me on chess.com! Scratch group!   √-1 2³ ∑ 3.14, and it was delicious!

Either your internet was too slow, or you're using the wrong theme, so you lost the game.

Tai-Guy

Quote from: joefarebrotherYou should mention that RPGs where you have more than one character are usually third person while most others are usually first person.
done
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

]
                                                                                                                                                            Earth and Moon, showing their sizes and distance to scale. The yellow bar represents a pulse of light traveling from Earth to Moon in 1.26 seconds.