News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

ultrastructure.

Started by Wolfslime123, Apr 21, 2021, 10:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfslime123

Premise
A strange and otherworldly building is trapping people. It is known as the ultrastructure. The structure beyond.
It traps people using thresholds. Any doorway can become a portal leading into it.

It shifts and changes at times. But there are also other forces at play, there may be helpful and harmful entities at work in this strange place.

Your character has become trapped within the ultrastructure.

Gameplay
This is a GMed game. If you try to do something I think could fail, I will roll a 6 sided die.
1-2 is a failure.
3-4 is limited success. The effectiveness of your action may vary, and the result will be affected by how difficult the act was in the first place.
5-6 is a success.
These may be affected by the difficulty of the task. If you try something nigh impossible and desperate, 5-6 may have limited success.

You may have an advantage in some cases. Perhaps your character is fighting something from an advantageous position. Perhaps something in your character's backstory helps them, such as having training for a particular task. Mention it in your post, and I'll consider rolling an extra dice. The higher result will be taken. You can make up backstory on the spot to say you have an advantage, but I or any other player can veto it. You can have up to 4 dice on your roll.

You have have a disadvantageous position, or face a particularly difficult challenge. I might subtract dice. If you have less than 1 dice, I will roll and take the lower result.

Rules
Standard TBGs rules apply.
For now, you can have up to 2 characters.

Character Sheet
The ultrastructure can take over thresholds anywhere, Even different timelines, but can't be more technologically advanced than real life. Your character can be from a lot of backgrounds, be creative and be interesting! I'm giving a broad limitation, and I reserve the right to deny your character.

Name:
Description: (Gender, Age, Appearance, etc.)
Backstory:
Starting items: (Anything, as long as it makes sense, and probably wouldn't break the game. A soldier can carry a gun, if they walked through the threshold with it. But the ultrastructure might not capture your character if it seems like a big threat.)
Entrance: What were the events leading up to your character walking through a doorway? Why where they walking through it at the time?
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Wolfslime123

Characters
Name: John Jones
Inventory:
- Backpack
  - Assault Rifle
  - Spiked baseball bat
  - Incomplete crossbow
  - Supplies
- "Hospitality" informational brochure
Injuries:

Name: Jackson
Description: Male, 18, Scrawny, wearing an apron, oven mitts, and glasses.
Inventory:
- Phone
- Baking tin full brownies
- Spatula
- Backpack
 - Old college textbooks
 - Laptop
 - water bottle
 - Uncooked packet of instant noodles
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Name: John Jones
Description: age unknown, male, wears a white singlet and blue t-shirt with torn sleeves, red headband, arm and leg guards, body armour and black pants with khaki combat boots. Scruffy blonde hair, chiseled face features, chipped tooth from a years-old fight.
Backstory: A man with a lot of history, once working for a secret organisation to bring order to "The Loop", a powerful simulation-running force highly sought after by those wanting it's strength, now a rebel who fought to save reality and stop The Loop from collapsing and history from repeating itself. He battled many people to control The Loop and eventually he succeeded, however, it changed the world in the process, causing anomalies to form and wreak havoc over his home region. He was well educated by many schools and was trained for several years in hand-to-hand combat and firearms, yet he was never the most adept at understanding electrical contraptions or mixing chemicals
Starting items: an Assault Rifle, spiked baseball bat, an incomplete crossbow and a backpack full of oddities and supplies.
Entrance: Jones was escaping some people who had teamed up against him in combat, and desperate for some cover, first aid and ammunition, he stumbled across a stash of supplies. After raiding it, he was forced to run through danger to avoid a forest fire that had broken out. This took him to a small shack a short distance from the central spire The Loop had formed. Stressed yet ready to face the heat of battle, he opened the door only to find the gateway to the Ultrastructure. Knowing exactly what it was, he was left with no choice but to leave the windowless shack and defend himself against the dangers the Ultrastructure could hold.
Just another internet user and anime transbian catgirl dealing with the boring dystopia that is our society. If you were looking for something interesting here, you've come to the wrong place.

My discord is Incendiary__ and you can join my server at https://discord.gg/k2ywUzBAED
My Twitch channl is available at https://twitch.tv/incendiaryoce

Joyous Theta

Seems like a neat premise, but I don't think there's enough explanation about what the ultrastructure is to go off for characters? (Even though I do have a character idea for myself, it kinda took me a good while to think of her.)

Wolfslime123

Quote from: Joyous ThetaI don't think there's enough explanation about what the ultrastructure is to go off for characters?
Regular earth people who walk through doors.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Wolfslime123

Quote from: IncendiaryGamingName: John Jones
Description: age unknown, male, wears a white singlet and blue t-shirt with torn sleeves, red headband, arm and leg guards, body armour and black pants with khaki combat boots. Scruffy blonde hair, chiseled face features, chipped tooth from a years-old fight.
Backstory: A man with a lot of history, once working for a secret organisation to bring order to "The Loop", a powerful simulation-running force highly sought after by those wanting it's strength, now a rebel who fought to save reality and stop The Loop from collapsing and history from repeating itself. He battled many people to control The Loop and eventually he succeeded, however, it changed the world in the process, causing anomalies to form and wreak havoc over his home region. He was well educated by many schools and was trained for several years in hand-to-hand combat and firearms, yet he was never the most adept at understanding electrical contraptions or mixing chemicals
Starting items: an Assault Rifle, spiked baseball bat, an incomplete crossbow and a backpack full of oddities and supplies.
Entrance: Jones was escaping some people who had teamed up against him in combat, and desperate for some cover, first aid and ammunition, he stumbled across a stash of supplies. After raiding it, he was forced to run through danger to avoid a forest fire that had broken out. This took him to a small shack a short distance from the central spire The Loop had formed. Stressed yet ready to face the heat of battle, he opened the door only to find the gateway to the Ultrastructure. Knowing exactly what it was, he was left with no choice but to leave the windowless shack and defend himself against the dangers the Ultrastructure could hold.
Accepted. Though John knows what the ultrastructure is, he wouldn't know what's actually inside it... unless you write a flashback that's interesting and adds to your character.

Upon exiting the shack, John would finds the door opens out into what was apparently a hotel lobby instead of the expected outside world. As soon as he stepped through, the door slammed shut behind him and locked itself.

The lobby was populated by hotel staff, but there were no guests in the waiting room.
The staff had no faces.

Most of the staff paid him no mind, but the workers at the front desk were looking at him, not having other guests to attend to apparently.

Now that he had trapped himself here, how was he going to get out?
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Should I wait for new players or continue on my own?
Just another internet user and anime transbian catgirl dealing with the boring dystopia that is our society. If you were looking for something interesting here, you've come to the wrong place.

My discord is Incendiary__ and you can join my server at https://discord.gg/k2ywUzBAED

Wolfslime123

Quote from: IncendiaryGamingShould I wait for new players or continue on my own?
You can continue on your own. It's not a party based game.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Jones walks up to the front desk and asks what this place is

Wolfslime123

Quote from: IncendiaryGamingJones walks up to the front desk and asks what this place is
The receptionist hands Jones an informational brochure. He is in a hotel called "Hospitality". In the brochure, the Host welcomes him, and invites him to stay as long as he likes. There is a warning that the security will try to kill him if he stays for more than a day. This is not by design, and unfortunately the Host has not found a way to fix the problem.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Jones is confused, as he is apparently allowed to stay indefinitely but will be killed if he stays longer than a day.
He asks the owner about any exits for when he does decide to leave.

Wolfslime123

Quote from: IncendiaryGamingJones is confused, as he is apparently allowed to stay indefinitely but will be killed if he stays longer than a day.
He asks the owner about any exits for when he does decide to leave.
Sorry, I should clarify, there is a passage in the informational brochure signed by the Host.
The hotel itself have no qualms about Jones staying here as long as he likes, it seems like there's some sort of error? with the security.

The receptionist can't talk, since it has no mouth, but when Jones asks them for an exit, they point you to the door you came from. They also point to a passage in his brochure. It reads, "The easiest and most reliable and well known way to escape the ultrastructure is by fulfilling whatever goal you had when went through the door that brought you here.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

(I think the servers didn't save my post, I sent one earlier and it hasn't registered)
Jones walks through the hotel, making note of where he is walking so he can make it back to the lobby.
The pamphlet says something about completing the goal I had, I guess I gotta take out anyone that threatens innocent people.

Wolfslime123

Quote from: IncendiaryGaming(I think the servers didn't save my post, I sent one earlier and it hasn't registered)
Jones walks through the hotel, making note of where he is walking so he can make it back to the lobby.
The pamphlet says something about completing the goal I had, I guess I gotta take out anyone that threatens innocent people.
A noble goal. But wasn't Jones leaving specifically to fight members of an organization?
Unfortunately, it looks like the pamphlet has no map on it, but Jones steps out regardless and sees a hallway. It's minimalist. White plaster walls, off-white and uniform vinyl flooring, and harsh florescent lights. Usually not what the exist of a hotel leads to.

What are you looking for? A fight, perhaps? Or some more information?
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Quote from: \//
Quote from: IncendiaryGaming(I think the servers didn't save my post, I sent one earlier and it hasn't registered)
A noble goal. But wasn't Jones leaving specifically to fight members of an organization?
Unfortunately, it looks like the pamphlet has no map on it, but Jones steps out regardless and sees a hallway. It's minimalist. White plaster walls, off-white and uniform vinyl flooring, and harsh florescent lights. Usually not what the exist of a hotel leads to.

What are you looking for? A fight, perhaps? Or some more information?
Oh, Jones already completed that goal. He will have to find information on the Ultrastructure and alternate ways of escaping should he be unable to fight potential threats.

He continues through the halls, checking any intersections.

Wolfslime123

Quote from: IncendiaryGamingOh, Jones already completed that goal. He will have to find information on the Ultrastructure and alternate ways of escaping should he be unable to fight potential threats.

He continues through the halls, checking any intersections.
The hallways start to turn this way and that, without any rhyme or reason, intersecting and looping and it's possible the passageways might have changed one time.

Where would you go anyway? The pamphlet has a few things listed as nearby locations.
Quote from: The Host- Hospitality
- Protection
- Flood
- Mold
- Colony
- Influence
You've seen a few signs that seem to correspond to these, but they tend to go in circles and change when you blink.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

I'm gonna start with protection first, then check the others later.

Wolfslime123

Quote from: IncendiaryGamingI'm gonna start with protection first, then check the others later.
The signs start to more reliably point to an "Incorporeal Threats Analysis and Management Agency" and the hallways have less forks.
It feels almost like something is leading you along...

After maybe half an hour or uneventful walking, You step into a three-story room. On 3 walls are the same white plaster walls, but the 4th wall you face is a concrete wall that looks like it would belong on the exterior of a building. It is made from concrete and small, narrow, and unfriendly windows. On the ground before you are some low metal barriers.

It is behind these barriers that you find the soldiers pointing guns at you. At least these ones have faces.

One holds a sophisticated loudspeaker-like device. "Stop! Hands in the air!"
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Jones looks for a place to take cover before firing at the soldiers with his AR

Wolfslime123

Quote from: IncendiaryGamingJones looks for a place to take cover before firing at the soldiers with his AR
Find cover: 6
Jones doesn't see any cover on his side of the room, so he immediately slams back into the door behind him.

Opening Fire: 3

Jones forces an agent down into cover, but the others are poised to return fire.

"Subject is hostile, initiate entrance lockdown!"

Jones saw about 7 agents on the field? There may have been more behind the 2 rows of windows. There were around 40 windows in total, and a few didn't have glass and had an agent in it.

You may have some training in your background you can cite to gain more dice, but I won't keep track of it.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

TotallyNotSeanbobe

Name: Jackson
Backstory: On break from college. Stressed from high workload. Studying computers and cooking.
Starting items: A phone, a baking tin full of freshly cooked brownies, a spatula, and a backpack containing old college textbooks, a laptop, a water bottle, and an uncooked packet of instant noodles.
Entrance: Jackson walks through the door of his kitchen just after baking the brownies. He was planning to eat them while watching a movie. He didn't notice the portal until he had walked through because he was distracted thinking of a major project he needed to complete for one of his classes.
I am seanbobe.
If I post from this account, the post was likely made from a mobile device. This may lead to errors and briefness.

Incendiary

Jones uses his prior training skills to eliminate (or at least disable) as many agents as possible

"Doesn't matter if these guys are bad or not, no big deal if they die. Unless they're crucial to my survival, of course"

Wolfslime123

Quote from: TotallyNotSeanbobeName: Jackson
Backstory: On break from college. Stressed from high workload. Studying computers and cooking.
Starting items: A phone, a baking tin full of freshly cooked brownies, a spatula, and a backpack containing old college textbooks, a laptop, a water bottle, and an uncooked packet of instant noodles.
Entrance: Jackson walks through the door of his kitchen just after baking the brownies. He was planning to eat them while watching a movie. He didn't notice the portal until he had walked through because he was distracted thinking of a major project he needed to complete for one of his classes.
Accepted.

Nothing seemed off when you walked out of the kitchen. The room seemed normal... What does this room of Jackson house usually look like?
Quote from: IncendiaryGamingJones uses his prior training skills to eliminate (or at least disable) as many agents as possible

"Doesn't matter if these guys are bad or not, no big deal if they die. Unless they're crucial to my survival, of course"
Combat: 5, 6
You manage to take out 1 agent and injure another between being suppressed by 7+ opponents at once.

A gas grenade lands at the base of the door.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Jones gets out of the way of the gas and fires at more guards using Super Sweet Skills™ while staying behind cover

TotallyNotSeanbobe

This room would normally be Jackson's living room. A small room containing a couch, a table near the couch, and an old TV in need of repairs.
I am seanbobe.
If I post from this account, the post was likely made from a mobile device. This may lead to errors and briefness.