News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

A Kettle Full of Little Thoughts [CYOA][Paused]

Started by Fishmael, Jul 28, 2020, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishmael

(This game uses standard CYOA rules. Responses are considered on a first come first served basis, should one following not immediately contradict it. Many prompts will be open ended while others require you to answer a specific question. Other than that, have fun.)
Quote from: One of the less biased historiansIn this world, there are Humans and there are Witches. Conflict between the two is only natural.

Humans are regular, and natural. Like any standard human, they have two arms, two legs, a torso, a head, and a smaller head nested inside that reads their thoughts and gives them advice. This smaller head is called a Conscience, and it is the source of Humanity's Goodness.

Witches, on the otherhand, are a grotesque corruption of the human form. Witches are brought into this world after being vomited up by a swamp pig who has eaten a Vile Root, while Humans, illustrating their superior grace, come into this world by hatching from eggs laid by Cave Salamanders who have eaten a Red Star. While looking mostly similar to a regular Human, all Witches are born with no Conscience, and are instead born with the ability to use magic. However, the use of magic requires the consumption of Consciences, and for that reason Humans and Witches can't be blamed for fighting much at all.
What is this hollowness you feel now? A perpetual ringing in your head, punctuated only by the beeping of monitors in the hospital. Something is missing... Is it your memories? No, they must all be there, save the ones from last night. Your thoughts? No, you're thinking this right now. It must be something else.

The doctor enters, clip board in hand, underneath it a conspicuous manilla folder. Probably contains the X-ray results.

He sits in a swivel chair and types in a few things on a computer on his desk.

"Alright, how are we feeling today?" he asks.

>How do you respond?
Inventory:
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Tymewalk

Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Joyous Theta

Scream for your missing whatever!

Fishmael

Quote from: Tymewalk"Um... I'm doing.... okay."
Quote from: Joyous ThetaScream for your missing whatever!
These voices in your head... They aren't familiar... They're so dissonant and contradictory, as though they were coming from your own synapses. Should you really be following the advice of such thoughts?

"Um... I'm doing... okay," you say, before taking in a deep breath and screaming.

"Alright, noted." The doctor wrote something on the clipboard. "As standard procedure, I'm going to ask you a few questions. You should have no trouble answering them, they're just to make sure you're mentally well enough to recieve a diagnoses. First, what is your name?"

>What is your name?
ouns are they/she, pleas

Wolfslime123

"I... don't remember. Maybe... you can call me John if you need to. It kind of sounds familiar."
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Fishmael

Quote from: \\/\/"I... don't remember. Maybe... you can call me John if you need to. It kind of sounds familiar."
"Alright, noted," he says, marking down something else on his clipboard. Yes, that is something you remember, John. "Next question, what is your mother's name?"

>Is it...
[a.] Olm Wern'yu, the Patient
[b.] Olm Djuit, the Sturdy
[c.] Olm Sno'at, the Scornful
[d.] Olm Go'ere, the Long
ouns are they/she, pleas

Wolfslime123

Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Fishmael

Quote from: \\/\/"Olm Go'ere, the Long. Why do you ask?"
Some say she could stand and reach the moon itself.

"As I said, these are simple questions designed to gauge your mental well-being," the doctor explained. "If you were already Sallow, for instance, certain accommodations would have to be made for your treatment and diagnosis. Last question, this one being basic history. Who reclaimed leadership of the church after the Blackwater Massacre?"

>How do you respond?
ouns are they/she, pleas

Faressain

[Blind Guess] "Thara' kin, also called The Exiled Bishop...? Uh, not exactly I know if it's Blackwaters or Blackseas Bishop of Church, and I don't know if he's good or evil, he is mysterious for sure."
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Fishmael

Quote from: Faressain[Blind Guess] "Thara' kin, also called The Exiled Bishop...? Uh, not exactly I know if it's Blackwaters or Blackseas Bishop of Church, and I don't know if he's good or evil, he is mysterious for sure."

"The Janitors are always a mysterious group," the doctor said, marking something else on his clipboard before opening the manilla folder. "Right, well, I suppose there's no point in beating around the bush, I'll just say it. You're in pretty bad shape, John."

He shows you the first of two x ray results he has in the folder. "As you probably know, this is what a human head should look like," he says.

"Note the Conscience taking up a considerable amount of space in the cerebral cortex," he remarks, before pulling out the second photo. "This, on the other hand, is what your head looks like right now."

Something was definitely wrong with the second picture. Your Conscience was completely absent, and in its place was something else of a similar size. Something that definitely didn't belong in your head, like a small trinket or bauble.

>What was in your head was... [First response to be seconded by another player is the chosen option.]
ouns are they/she, pleas

Wolfslime123

An eye. A third eye. It looks like... it's reading something? As if there were invisible words on that wall over there... the fourth one.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Faressain

A ruby crystal that is embed into the skull. It seems to pulsate with energy, and doing so releases invisible to others orange energy. A watchful, ornate eye on it observes and reads inside the skull.

(I guess it's a Quest by all but the choice being first come first served)
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Fishmael

(A seconding of either option is still required. If you have made already made a suggestion, you may second another player's suggestion regardless.)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Joyous Theta

A small globe that slowly rotates around, it depicts not your own world, but rather an empty one seen in the sky. It seems to write random facts about the world it displays on the inside of your skull, yet mostly just rather useless trivia.

Wolfslime123

Can we defend our trinkets?

My eye is cool and meta because it's reading our posts and inputting them into John's brain in a cool and meta way that would give John an answer to his chaotic or conflicting thoughts (if they can figure that out.)
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Joyous Theta

That's not really any different from having a regular conscience and having us be the conscience :(

Blunderbus

I guess I'll come in and second an option
Quote from: \\/\/An eye. A third eye. It looks like... it's reading something? As if there were invisible words on that wall over there... the fourth one.
join Fragmented Future to RIDE A TRAIN! WOOOOOOO YEAH, TRAINS, BABY!

Fishmael

Quote from: \\/\/An eye. A third eye. It looks like... it's reading something? As if there were invisible words on that wall over there... the fourth one.

The eye still appears inorganic, perhaps stone or marble, and has a thin silver chain of sorts coming off it. Still, it appears as though it's reading something you can not see.

"Tell me, John," says the doctor. "Do you remember having any run ins with a Witch in the last day or so?"

>How do you respond?
ouns are they/she, pleas

Wolfslime123

Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Fishmael

Quote from: \\/\/"Um... I don't think so."
"Well, this is definitely their handiwork," the doctor said. "They tend to put things in the cavity left after removing the Conscience so the head doesn't, you know, collapse in on itself. Now, unfortunately, without your Conscience available for reinsertion there's not much we can do to prevent Sallowing, but we can prolong it by about a month or so. I can give you a prescription of coffee and Albastellax, but the best preventative measure short of recovering the missing Conscience is engaging in one of our government approved High Fulfillment Employment Programs."

>How do you respond?

Inventory:
0. Eyeball Trinket (in:Head, ???)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Fishmael

(Another note. You are allowed to ask John questions directly, and if it is something he knows/remembers, he may answer to the best of his ability. However, doing so only emphasizes the absence of his Conscience, and may increase his progression towards becoming Sallow, even if only marginally. Asking questions to others through John, however, will not have this effect, though it may affect others' opinions of John.)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Wolfslime123

Say "What should I do about the... effects?"

Say it like you don't really want to think about the effects right now.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Fishmael

Quote from: \\/\/Say "What should I do about the... effects?"

Say it like you don't really want to think about the effects right now.
"Focus on the program, try not to think about the silence too much," the doctor says, writing a prescription note and handing it to you. "The coffee helps for the first part, Albastellax should work for the second. Bring this to the apothecary tomorrow, and don't forget your umbrella, since it's a Friday. They'll set you up. For now, just head home and focus on getting some rest."

>What do you do?
ouns are they/she, pleas

Wolfslime123

"Do you think there's anything I should be worried about with the thing that's replaced my Conscious?"
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Fishmael

Quote from: \\/\/"Do you think there's anything I should be worried about with the thing that's replaced my Conscious?"

"Not sure," he said. "Wouldn't worry about it. Usually if a Witch leaves a trinket it's pretty mundane. I would hazard to guess the more magical ones require more Consciences to produce, so replacing a Conscience with one would be somewhat counter-intuitive, but I'm no expert in the arcane arts myself."

>What do you do?
ouns are they/she, pleas