News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Elements RPG: But Seriously This Time

Started by Wordweaver, May 19, 2020, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wordweaver

Backstory

You are a wizard.

You are currently living in a kingdom. That kingdom has experienced some troubles recently. Bandits, zombie hordes, blood raining from the sky. Your typical Monday morning.

It would sure be nice if someone could take care of those problems. Maybe some of those people who can wave their hands around and make things blow up. They seem like excellent problem-solvers. Very competent.

(Spoilers: You are those people. Although your competence is debatable. Remember that time the Grand Archmage shot himself in the foot?)

Rules:

1. No overpowered characters. Obviously.
2. The game is based on 1d20 dice rolls. Dice will actually be rolled. Publicly. In TBG chat.
3. This RPG does not follow a set path. Railroading is dumb. Mess with the "plot" as much as you like, I don't actually care.
4. Elemental magic is boring. I will make it slightly less boring. More on that below.
5. Be polite.

The Game:

There are four stats.

Strength: Hitting things.
Skill: Shooting things.
Speed: Dodging things.
Spirit: Magicing things.

Choose two of those stats. You get advantage in them. (When you do things related to your chosen stats, I will roll twice and use the higher number).
Choose one of the remaining stats. You get disadvantage in it. (That means I roll twice and take the lower number instead).

Spells:

When you make your character, I will roll a bunch of dice and make three spells for you. You can cast those spells whenever you like, within reasonable limits.

(Reasonable limits means one spell per turn).

For the sake of transparency-
Here is how I make spells:

Spells follow a particular format: [modifier] [element] [form]. For example, you could have one spell that creates an Explosive Earth Arrow.

To generate a spell, I roll 3d12 and consult the following chart:

[Modifiers]:
1. Explosive
2. Bouncing
3. Triple
4. Homing
5. Spiked
6. Invisible
7. Large
8. Bright
9. Returning
10. Persistent
11. Delayed
12. Adhesive

[Elements]:
1. Fire
2. Water
3. Earth
4. Air
5. Lightning
6. Ice
7. Smoke
8. Acid
9. Wood
10. Rubber
11. Crystal
12. Bone

[Forms]:
1. Arrow
2. Blade
3. Wall
4. Armor
5. Orb
6. Shield
7. Spike
8. Chain
9. Whip
10. Cage
11. Pillar
12. Hammer

Sheet:

Name: What I call you.
Appearance: What you look like.
Advantaged Stats: What you're good at. If that's confusing, scroll up a bit and read the section that's labeled "The Game."
Disadvantaged Stat: What you're bad at. See above.

I'll roll your spells up once you've been accepted.
As above, so below.

Wolfslime123

Name: Jacob Rayes
Appearance: black hair and eyes, blue cloak with hood. Black clothes underneath.
Advantaged Stats: Good at magicing spiritually and shooting skillfully
Disadvantaged Stat: bad at hitting things strongly.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Looks like a copy of mine with wizards. I won't apply but I will look unless you can prove it isn't a copy
Just another internet user and anime transbian catgirl cosplaying as Sakuya Izayoi for April. If you were looking for something interesting here, you've come to the wrong place.

My discord is Incendiary__ and you can join my server at https://discord.gg/k2ywUzBAED
My Twitch channl is available at https://twitch.tv/incendiaryoce

Wordweaver

Quote from: \//Name: Jacob Rayes
Appearance: black hair and eyes, blue cloak with hood. Black clothes underneath.

Accepted. Your spells are:

Adhesive Ice Orb

Homing Fire Chain

Spiked Rubber Pillar
As above, so below.

Blunderbus

This seems like an RPG for...

Name: Teddy Zeke
Appearance: A bit short. Exceedingly messy hair. Wears a long coat because he thinks it makes him look cool.
Advantaged Stats: Skl, Spd
Disadvantaged Stat: Str
join Fragmented Future to RIDE A TRAIN! WOOOOOOO YEAH, TRAINS, BABY!

Wordweaver

Quote from: DeepFriedBaconLooks like a copy of mine with wizards. I won't apply but I will look unless you can prove it isn't a copy

Technically speaking, your game is a reboot of another, which was run by an entirely different TBGer.

Given that he has already approved of one reboot, I can only assume that he would be okay with a second.
As above, so below.

Fishmael

Name: Gilbert
Appearance: Like a frayed rope tied around a rat who was, coincidentally, recently told they must work a desk job. Only that as a human.
Advantaged Stats: Speed and Spirit
Disadvantaged Stat: Strength
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Fishmael

Quote from: DeepFriedBaconLooks like a copy of mine with wizards. I won't apply but I will look unless you can prove it isn't a copy

Honestly, this game seems mechanically distinct from yours. It's more along the mechanics of Epithet Erased, with powers centered around randomly generated concepts than directly surrounding an elemental system. Plus the plot is entirely different as well as the majority of the base stats. Other than the name and the fact that it involves elements it's an entirely different game.
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Wordweaver

Quote from: FlashFlireThis seems like an RPG for...

Name: Teddy Zeke
Appearance: A bit short. Exceedingly messy hair. Wears a long coat because he thinks it makes him look cool.

Welcome aboard. Your spells:

Delayed Fire Chain

Homing Lightning Shield

Bouncing Acid Armor

Quote from: Fishmael
Name: Gilbert
Appearance: Like a frayed rope tied around a rat who was, coincidentally, recently told they must work a desk job. Only that as a human.

Greetings. The contents of your spellbook are as follows:

Bouncing Acid Chain

Delayed Water Chain

Triple Crystal Chain
As above, so below.

Wordweaver

In other news, I'm not sure what just happened.

I guess the dice really like chains. That, or the number 8.
As above, so below.

Faressain

Name: Nate
Appearance: He seems to be looking like an average medieval human messenger. The only change is that he doesn't have messages to deliver.
Advantaged Stats: Dodging and shooting things
Disadvantaged Stat: Hitting things.
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Wordweaver

Quote from: FaressainName: Nate
Appearance: He seems to be looking like an average medieval human messenger. The only change is that he doesn't have messages to deliver.

Hi there. Spells incoming:

Homing Smoke Blade

Persistent Water Orb

Triple Bone Blade
As above, so below.

Incendiary

Quote from: Fishmael

Honestly, this game seems mechanically distinct from yours. It's more along the mechanics of Epithet Erased, with powers centered around randomly generated concepts than directly surrounding an elemental system. Plus the plot is entirely different as well as the majority of the base stats. Other than the name and the fact that it involves elements it's an entirely different game.
Alright, true, I did another look at it, seems good. Sign me up:
Name: Brad (because why not)
Appearance, blue t-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes. Neat-ish dark brown hair and grey-blue eyes.
Advantaged stats: skill and speed.
Disadvantaged stats: strength.
Just another internet user and anime transbian catgirl cosplaying as Sakuya Izayoi for April. If you were looking for something interesting here, you've come to the wrong place.

My discord is Incendiary__ and you can join my server at https://discord.gg/k2ywUzBAED

Wordweaver

Quote from: DeepFriedBaconName: Brad (because why not)
Appearance, blue t-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes. Neat-ish dark brown hair and grey-blue eyes.

Homing Smoke Arrow

Delayed Fire Spike

Triple Water Hammer
As above, so below.

Wolfslime123

Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Wordweaver

The Ivory Tower is the realm's greatest and most prestigious school of wizardry. Students enter its hallowed halls as mere initiates, unlearned in the ways of magic or the secret of essay-writing. They leave as true academics, able to perform astounding deeds. Ivory graduates are famed for their ability to write fifty-page essays, their tendency to ramble for hours about nothing in particular, and their deep knowledge of obscure mystical phenomena. Their wisdom is valued by noble houses, great philosophers, and even the king himself (may he reign eternal).

Dropouts are a different matter entirely. True, some are just untalented. But the majority - the vast majority - just weren't interested in advanced thaumaturgical calculations. They studied practical magic. Conjuration. Elementalism. The arcane lore that makes you capable of throwing fireballs and raising walls of stone. The sort that commands respect from anyone who doesn't want to have their head blown in.

They're also reckless, disorderly, and utterly expendable. It's traditional for the Dean to dispose of expelled students by pointing them towards a firebreathing lizard or a necromancer cabal. When explosions inevitably begin to occur, they take place outside of populated areas and kill things everyone wanted dead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Beginning...

A couple of weeks ago, you failed your Magical Theory class and got kicked out of academia. Realistically, it was only a matter of time. You've already learned everything useful, and if you'd stuck around, it was probably only a matter of time until you got bored of phlogiston particles and started disrupting the fundamental balance of reality. Or burning your professors' eyebrows off.

The Dean sent you off to some dusty old ruins, along with four of your peers. Supposedly there's a Recently Unsealed Evil lurking nearby. Or something like that. You weren't really paying attention during the briefing.

The gates swing open with an ominous creak. Probably because they haven't been oiled in the last two thousand years.
As above, so below.

Wordweaver

Character Sheets

Quote from: \//Name: Jacob Rayes

Adhesive Ice Orb

Homing Fire Chain

Spiked Rubber Pillar

Quote from: FlashFlireName: Teddy Zeke

Delayed Fire Chain

Homing Lightning Shield

Bouncing Acid Armor

Quote from: FishmaelName: Gilbert

Bouncing Acid Chain

Delayed Water Chain

Triple Crystal Chain

Quote from: FaressainName: Nate

Homing Smoke Blade

Persistent Water Orb

Triple Bone Blade

Quote from: DeepFriedBaconName: Brad

Homing Smoke Arrow

Delayed Fire Spike

Triple Water Hammer
As above, so below.

Wordweaver

Inventory:

Jacob Rayes:
-Wizard Robes

Teddy Zeke:
-Wizard Robes

Gilbert:
-Wizard Robes

Nate:
-Wizard Robes

Brad:
-Wizard Robes
As above, so below.

Wordweaver

Jacob Rayes:
-Fine

Teddy Zeke:
-Fine

Gilbert:
-Fine

Nate:
-Gouged Side (Minor)

Brad:
-Fine
As above, so below.

Wolfslime123

Onwards to the ruins! Jacob conjures and ice orb and tries to stick it to Nate.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Blunderbus

Teddy tries to make a fire chain to light up the ruins.
...Eventually.
join Fragmented Future to RIDE A TRAIN! WOOOOOOO YEAH, TRAINS, BABY!

Wolfslime123

Okay, Jacob actually stops messing around and uses a fire chain to light up the ruins very accurately.
Yours Truly,
\\/\/

Incendiary

Brad follows the group to wherever they are going.

Faressain

Nate snaps out of the daydreaming about delivering some important message to the king, and follows Jacob.
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Wordweaver

Quote from: \//Onwards to the ruins! Jacob conjures and ice orb and tries to stick it to Nate.
Quote from: \//Okay, Jacob actually stops messing around and uses a fire chain to light up the ruins very accurately.
Quote from: FaressainNate snaps out of the daydreaming about delivering some important message to the king, and follows Jacob.
Quote from: DeepFriedBaconBrad follows the group to wherever they are going.

Jacob (Spirit): 13 , 1
Nate (Speed): 4 , 7

Jacob (Spirit): 2 , 16

Jacob points at Nate and mutters a spell. Snowflakes appear in front of his finger, then meld and clump together until he's wielding a ball of solid ice. It flies towards Nate, who notices the orb just as it's about to hit his torso. He leans back, holding one hand out in front of him, and the sphere collides with his arm instead. It bursts upon impact, showering him with sharp, icy fragments that stick to his skin and clothing.

After examining his handiwork, Jacob turns back towards the gates and utters another incantation. Strands of flame emerge from his hand. They braid themselves together to form burning chains, which also work relatively well as a light source.

The gates lead towards an open pavilion that is surrounded by crumbling stone walls. By the light of Jacob's spell, they can also see a tunnel that leads deeper into the ruins. Three cloaked figures are standing in the mouth of the tunnel, facing the wizards. Two are holding weapons that glint in the firelight.

The one in the center steps forwards.

"Who are you, and what is your business with the Shadow?"

------------

Sheets
Inventory
Status

------------

Tip of The Day:

You can cast as many spells as you want in situations that aren't time-sensitive. There will just be a pause of fifteen to thirty seconds between each one.

One spell per turn is still the law when you're in combat or running for your life, though.
As above, so below.