News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Linguistic Viscera [CYOA]

Started by Fishmael, Apr 08, 2018, 12:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishmael

(You know your boy is back at it again with another CYOA. Let's hope the genre isn't as dead as my account activity.)

In the Beginning...
Deep within the darker reaches of space, there is an egg. Along its surface, a crack forms, until bits of shell are broken off, exposing a dark hole leading within. From within the egg, something looks out and realizes that it's going to spend the first moments of its life plummeting towards the Earth. It wasn't going to be comfortable.

Linguistic Viscera
Or, How They Learned to Stop What They're Doing.
A choose your own adventure.

My name is Juvel and I will be your narrator this evening. Our two main characters are currently the only ones capable of saving the world right now, but they are incapable at deciding their own actions. That's where you, the players come in.

By now you should get the gist of the rules, give actions for the character that you all play (actions that may or may not be declined by the character), responses work on a first come first served system, don't spam or troll with actions and when a question is asked at the end of a response on my part it should be answered before the next action is made (answers following rules described with the question).

So with that out of the way, I leave you with your first choice. As you can only follow one character at a time, and both characters are necessary in the cosmic sense when it comes to saving the world and all, you must choose which character you will control first, keeping in mind that certain mechanics and rules apply to one character and not the other when playing as them.

Koda needs to enter a windmill.

Tip has unheard messages on the answering machine.

Who do you follow? (Majority of the first three responses is the chosen option.)

[a.] Koda
[b.] Tip
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Faressain

Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Tymewalk

Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

b
j u m b l e !

Currently listening to: Lemaitre - 1:18

a-git-ated

oh hey, i didnt realise other people did CYOAs on this website lol. 'happy to participate :)

i will vote 'a' as to make the sequence of votes "ABBA", which is a very good band if you ask me.

Fishmael

Quote from: Thartlera
Quote from: Tymewalkb
Quote from: 8435.5b
Quote from: a-git-ated'a'
(As the prompt stated, only the majority of the first three votes will be considered, so the final decision is [b.].)

Tip

The thing that wakes you this morning is not the foreboding sense of dread caused by the large object that can be seen from your house's window, but instead from the automated voice of your answering machine stating that you have quite a few missed calls. Kind of odd, since you haven't heard the phone ring once all night. Come to think of it, you can't remember much of what happened last night. Or much of anything, really. Maybe you just need some coffee.

The coffee machine can be found in the kitchen in the next room over, on the counter by the fridge. You are currently in your bedroom, on your bed. On the bedside table is your telephone and answering machine, and in the middle of the floor is a large locked chest that you don't remember owning before.

What do you do? (Objects in bold can be interacted with.)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Faressain

It would be perfect to play as narrator.

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Fishmael

Quote from: ThartlerIt would be perfect to play as narrator.
Sadly, playing as me is not an option. It would be ridiculous to consider such an option, as few should have that much power. Instead your powers are limited to controlling the actions of our two protagonists, right now the actions specifically of Tip, who has unheard messages on the answering machine.

What do you do?
ouns are they/she, pleas

-Terrariadude555-

Check the messages on the answering machine.
I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

:D
"Stop touching my suspendies!" - My friend

Fishmael

Quote from: TerrariadudeCheck the messages on the answering machine.

When you listen to the first of four messages left on the machine, you are very surprised to hear the message was left in your own voice. You don't remember leaving any messages.

Message #1

Hey, just calling in to see if everything's all right over there. You probably don't remember much of what happened last night. Actually, you probably won't remember much of anything at all. I apologize for that, but really I didn't have a lot of options. Hope things don't get too bad too soon. If you get the chance, do call me back when you wake up. Or just call me back whenever it lands, really doesn't matter.

Calling yourself back could prove difficult, as the number to call back displayed by the answering machine is that of your own phone. There are still three more messages.

What do you do?
ouns are they/she, pleas

Faressain

Yet I am considering option to play as narrator.

Fishmael

Quote from: ThartlerYet I am considering option to play as narrator.

This is a fruitless consideration, as only I can be the narrator, as only I narrate. There is an important balance to be struck between the narrator, player, and character. Without the player, the narrator can not continue and the character can make no actions. With no narrator, the story is lost. With no character, there is nothing. Luckily Tip is not leaving any time soon, and I have all the time in the world, so there are few problems as long as no one else is the narrator.

There are three more messages on the answering machine.

What do you do? (As a player, not a narrator.)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Tymewalk

Hm, that's weird.

Listen to the second message.
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Fishmael

Quote from: TymewalkListen to the second message.

The next message is also in your voice. Huh.

Message #2

Okay, I see you still haven't called me back. That's fine, I'm sure you're a very busy person. For the sake of time, we might as well get some things set up before things can get any worse.

First we'll set up your HUD. These HUD options will appear at the bottom of every response to actions automatically. Only three of the following attributes can appear on your HUD at any given time, and these attributes can only be changed at Telephones such as this one. In certain unforeseeable circumstances, this number may be temporarily limited to two outside of your control. Keep that in mind.

Choose three of the following to equip. (One choice each per first three players to respond.)

[a.] Status Bar
example_status1

Health: 300
[b.] Inventory
example_inv3

1. Loose change x3 <currency>
2. Shovel <weapon><tool>
3. Fabric <textile>
[c.] Objective List
example_objectlist2

a. Find car keys
a.1. Check pockets
a.1.i. ???
b. Save the world
[d.]Weather
example_status3

Conditions: Sunny
Wind: Low
Temperature: Medium
[e.] Location
example_location6

North: N/A
East: The Pit
South: The old mill
West: ???
[f.] Enemy Weaknesses
example_weak4

Target: Goblin
Head: Effective
Arms: Uneffective
Legs: ???
[g.] Quote
example_quote81

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams
ouns are they/she, pleas

Faressain

-Terrariadude555-

I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

Fishmael

Quote from: TerrariadudeA, C and D.

(The rules beside the prompt stated that each of the first three players to respond chooses one item to add to the HUD. Please limit your response to one choice, allowing for a third player to submit a third and final response to the decision.)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Fishmael

(As it currently stands, two more players may submit responses to the HUD prompt, choosing from [a.] to [f.], as [g.] has already been correctly submitted by Thartler, leaving two more responses open.)
ouns are they/she, pleas

Karanrimé

The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

Fishmael

(Currently, the accepted inputs have been those of Thartler and ChildGamer, their choices being [g.] and [b.] respectively, allowing for a third player to submit a final response to the prompt supplied with their choice for the HUD, also known as the Heads Up Display for those concerned.)
ouns are they/she, pleas

-Terrariadude555-

Fishmael

Quote from: Thartlerg!
Quote from: ChildGamerB
Quote from: Terrariadudec

And with that, your HUD is complete. Well, that's all well but you still can't remember any of what happened last night, there are still two messages on the answering machine, and you still haven't even made coffee. Quite a set of events. There also appears to be something very bright outside of your Bedroom's window...

What do you do?

Inventory:
0. Nothing

Objective List:
a. Finish listening to messages
b. Make coffee
c. Remember what happened last night

"Transition, crisis; gather all your strength to make the passage; hold on to your ideals."
-I Ching, translated by Stephen Karcher
ouns are they/she, pleas

Karanrimé

[under construction]

;

Fishmael

Quote from: ChildGamerModify the HUD.
That option is not currently available. Between each modification of the HUD, a key goal must have been accomplished. It is not certain as to how you will be aware of what the key goal is, but you will be notified whether or not modifications to previous choices can be made. This is to ensure liability in your choices, as unsettled choices rarely form good character.

What do you do?

Inventory:
0. Nothing

Objective List:
a. Finish listening to messages
b. Make coffee
c. Remember what happened last night

"The habit dies hard."
-Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake
ouns are they/she, pleas

Karanrimé

Look for something that undoes the effects of amnesia.

[under construction]

;