News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

The Raid on Icemaw Catacombs

Started by LiberianPrince, Apr 05, 2018, 01:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiberianPrince

Context
Recently, a band of merchants accidentally discovered a cave entrance to what appears to be an unexplored grave site. The merchants had entered the caverns, but were found to be missing later on. The nearby town requested adventurers to recover the bodies and explore the dungeon. You've just come in on a caravan full of adventurers, all geared up and ready to do battle. It looks like there's a crowd of around 30 people, each clad in armor and armed with weapons.

Character Creation
I'm rather lenient with character signups, so feel free to mess around with your race, class, weapons, etc. Extras is for class specific abilities or items, like Beast Tamer pets, Druid shapeshifts, and so on.
Note that your spellcasting ability is determined mainly by class and race, unless you have magic weapons.
Name-
Race-
Class-
~
Armor-
Main Hand-
Off Hand-
Inventory-
Extras-
~
Brief Description-

Gameplay
Respect the d20.

LiberianPrince

Character List
Floyd // Human Ranger
Armor-Worn leather
Main Hand-Crossbow
Off hand(Titan Gauntlets)-Buckler
Inventory- 2 Greater Regen Potions, Shortsword, Titan Gauntlets
Extras- Small accuracy buff on Sword and Crossbow, but large damage debuff of other weapons.
Status- Healthy
Sean // Human Wizard
Armor- None
Main hand- Wand
Off hand- Spell book
Inventory- 5 Small Regen Potions
Extras: Wand can be used for magic or to heal. Spell book enhances power of wand and can be used as a weak weapon.
Status- Healthy
Nirnen // High Elf Elementalist
Armor- Robes
Main Hand- Spell of Fireball
Off Hand- Spell of Shape Stone
Inventory- Vial of black powder, two vials of lantern oil
Extras- Possesses two other spells, Conjure Water and Gust of Wind. Incapable of using either without swapping out a currently prepared spell.
Status- Healthy
Steve // Human Warrior
Armor- Iron Platemail
Main Hand- Blessed Greatsword
Inventory- Iron Trident, 3 Rage Essence vials, Modified Crossbow, 3 Regen Vials, Knife
Extras- Blessed Greatsword is treated with Holy Water
Status- Strong Cave Crawler Poisoning
Bulk // Halfling Pirate
Armor- Light armour covered by exotic enough fabric
Main Hand- Shortsword
Off Hand- Flintlock Pistol
Inventory- 3 Regen Potions, Buckler, Leatherbound Notebook filled with target names, Lockpick.
Status- Healthy
Mal // Minor Fiend Warlock
Armor- Light scale mail.
Main Hand- Staff of Thorns
Off Hand- Athame
Inventory- Infernal Tome, Pact-Stone.
Extras- Underworld Invocation, Summoning
Status- Healthy
Rathi // Human Thief
Armor- Dark leather armor, and a face mask.
Main Hand- A large, curved dagger.
Off Hand- A smaller dagger.
Inventory- 2 Regen Potions, Cloth, Bottle of Poison, Sleep Potion
Status- Healthy

LiberianPrince

Bump?
I'll load in some NPCs soon enough.

Karanrimé

Name- Floyd
Race- Human
Class- Ranger
~
Armor- Worn leather
Main Hand- Crossbow
Off Hand- Occupied by 2-handed weapon
Inventory- 1 resurrection potion, unless that's not permitted, then 1 healing potion, as well as A buckler and a longsword
Extras- Small accuracy buff on Sword and Crossbow, but large damage debuff of other weapons.
~
Brief Description- Always hitting the mark on either a sword or the crossbow, while trying to keep his growing hair out of the Way, Floyd's a shorter, aging man who keeps all of his fighting styles and finesse through practice.
The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

Seanbobe

Name: Sean
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Armor: None
Main hand: Wand
Off hand: Spell book
Inventory: 3x healing potion 3x resurrection potion
Extras: Wand can be used for magic or to heal. Spell book enhances power of wand and can be used as a weak weapon.

Description: A teenage boy who makes up for his lack of physical strength with magical ability.
My joke RPG: Instructions Unclear: The RPG of Memes
My serious RPG: Stop the Spambots!
My offline life: error 404

Dark

Name- Nirnen
Race- High elf
Class- Elementalist
~
Armor- Robes
Main Hand- Spell of Fireball
Off Hand- Spell of Shape Stone
Inventory- Vial of black powder(Disregard if anachronistic), two vials of lantern oil
Extras- Possesses two other spells, Conjure Water and Gust of Wind. Incapable of using either without swapping out a currently prepared spell.
~
Brief Description- Tall and thin, unskilled in melee combat but well-versed in the elemental arts.
Date registered: Apr 17, 2013, 06:27:41 AM

LiberianPrince

Wonderful! You're all accepted, but I will limit the potions to some degree. I'll wait a bit to prepare the story and we can start.
:D

-Terrariadude555-

Name- Steve
Race- human
Class- warrior
~
Armor- titanium chestplate, titanium greaves, titanium mask with spikes.
Main Hand- Holy Lightblade
Off Hand- Palladium trident (strored on Steve's back)
Inventory- 3x Rampage potion, grappling hook, 4x healing potion, knife, resurrection oil.
Extras- Holy Lightblade is strong against darkness.
~
Brief Description- a strong, relatively fast person who is great with offensive and defensive, but not that good with range.
I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

"Stop touching my suspendies!" - My friend

LiberianPrince

Quote from: TerrariadudeName- Steve
Race- human
Class- warrior
~
A bit overpowered, so I'm gonna have to ask you to make a few changes. Titanium and Palladium weren't discovered until the 19th century, but those can be easily exchanged for other things. An enchanted sword is kind-of a no-no and so is a grappling hook but otherwise things seem fine. Character design is good, and the rest of the signup seems to be in good shape. Just fix some things and you're good to go.

For everyone else, I'll just give you guys some information on potions. Essentially, Healing and Resurrection potions are both merged into Regeneration Potions. They work as a topical paste that can regenerate flesh, as well as almost a human glue to reattach body parts, although that might require a bit more spellcasting ability. It's also worth noting that potions can be used in quarter-measures, so you're free to use 1/4 or the whole bottle dependent on your injuries.

Story begins in ~ 12 hours

Tymewalk

Name- Rathi
Race- Human
Class- Thief
~
Armor- Dark leather armor, and a face mask.
Main Hand- A large, curved dagger.
Off Hand- A smaller dagger.
Inventory- A couple of healing potions, a cloth, a poison potion (for dipping), and some additional gold (if allowed, if gold is not used replace with a sleeping potion)
Extras- None
~
Brief Description- A quick and nimble fighter, rather skittish in combat but not afraid of fighting.
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Fishmael

Name- Bulk
Race- Halfling
Class- Pirate
~
Armor- Light armour covered by exotic enough fabric
Main Hand- Shortsword
Off Hand- Flintlock Pistol (if that's too modern I'll swap it out)
Inventory- A handful of healing potions, a buckler, a written list of everyone he wishes was dead bound by leather, a lockpick.
Extras- N/A
~
Brief Description- While caring mostly for himself, he's eager to get into trouble if there's a chance that he'll get paid when it's all said and done.
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

-Terrariadude555-

Quote from: NigerianPrince
Quote from: TerrariadudeName- Steve
Race- human
Class- warrior
~
A bit overpowered, so I'm gonna have to ask you to make a few changes. Titanium and Palladium weren't discovered until the 19th century, but those can be easily exchanged for other things. An enchanted sword is kind-of a no-no and so is a grappling hook but otherwise things seem fine. Character design is good, and the rest of the signup seems to be in good shape. Just fix some things and you're good to go.

For everyone else, I'll just give you guys some information on potions. Essentially, Healing and Resurrection potions are both merged into Regeneration Potions. They work as a topical paste that can regenerate flesh, as well as almost a human glue to reattach body parts, although that might require a bit more spellcasting ability. It's also worth noting that potions can be used in quarter-measures, so you're free to use 1/4 or the whole bottle dependent on your injuries.

Story begins in ~ 12 hours
The grappling hook is essentially a modified crossbow, and the enchanted sword is not really an enchanted sword. Just a regular sword that is treated with holy water. Also, you need to specify if this is before the 1800s. Anyway, I'll just have iron for both armour and weapon (unless there is something better than iron that has been discovered, which is what everyone wants)
I used to be active on the TBGs but was not a very nice person, I've changed now but my activity is lacking.

"Stop touching my suspendies!" - My friend

Wordweaver

Name- Mal
Race- Minor Fiend
Class- Warlock
~
Armor- Light scale mail. Mostly important pieces like the helmet and breastplate.
Main Hand- Staff of Thorns (Magical focus. May or may not have additional effects, at your discretion).
Off Hand- Athame
Inventory- Infernal tome, pact-stone.

Extras-
Underworld Invocation: A ritual which can be used to call up various evil spirits and fiends, which are summoned and confined to a diagram for the duration of the spell. Usually used to bargain and enter pacts with the aforementioned entities.

Summoning: Used to call up an infernal entity for use in battle. Requires prior agreement or some other authority over the spirit. The pact-stone in Mal's inventory is physical proof of a summoning contract with a Skeletal Fiend.

~
Brief Description- Mal's full name is far longer, but one must be circumspect when one is in the mortal world. To this end, he wears black gloves, cloaks, and masks beneath his armor. Precious little is done to deflect attention, but it is better to be an enigma than to be banished. He is fortunate to be humanlike in form and bearing, if not in countenance.
As above, so below.

LiberianPrince

Oh my, I didn't expect this many signups during the delay. You're all accepted, and sign ups are now closed. We'll start in approx 20 minutes.

LiberianPrince

Beginnings
As each of the adventurers step out of the caravan, they notice the crow of 20-ish adventurers nearby. Everyone seems to be in their own little groups, but these 7 adventurers seem to be the ones to stick out. Further ahead, there seems to be a squabble between 2 of the aforementioned groups. On one side there's a group of brigands in torn red clothes and cracked armor. The majority of them seem to be rogues, but a few others look like they're armed with shortbows and tomes. Against them is a smaller group of wizards in green cloaks. Without a doubt, these are high-ranking sages. Be that as it may, the two parties seem to have a dispute over the large amount of explosives that the brigands are hauling in their bags. The leader of both groups stand a few feet in front of the catacomb entrance, yelling at the other unintelligibly.

Turns until the Catacombs open: 2

Wordweaver

Mal strides towards the quarreling adventurers, drawn by noise in their mouths and anger crackling in the air.

"Thiss disspute iss pointlesss. Explain the matter to me. Sssenssibly."
As above, so below.

Dark

Nirnen glances around at his surroundings. A restless crowd, this one.
He turns his attention to those composing his party. A rag-tag company, primarily humans with a single halfling and that masked man that's already wandered off. Not ideal, but too late now.

"I propose", he announces, looking over the group, "That we introduce ourselves, given that we'll be spending some time together. Nirnen is my name, the elements my art. And the rest of you?"

Karanrimé

Floyd stays silent. "Keeping quiet is a Rogue's thing, but Rogues can also use bows, I guess," he whispers quietly, "and I don't really need any of these crazy people or things that surround me."

[under construction]

;

Seanbobe

"I am Sean. I am a wizard. I use magic."
My joke RPG: Instructions Unclear: The RPG of Memes
My serious RPG: Stop the Spambots!
My offline life: error 404

LiberianPrince

The brigand leader turns his attention to Mal.
"Well, Me and my folks were just hauling some of our powder kegs, and these walking fossils started yelling at us about nonsense "grave desecration" and "structural integrity". They kept telling us to ditch the explosives, but I'm not gonna listen to a couple of geezers who think they know a thing about the government when they live their whole lives in a temple."

By now, the Sages have walked away, not wanting to have to deal with the brigands.

Turns until Catacombs open: 1

Fishmael

"Now who would ever want to ditch some perfectly good powder kegs?" Bulk says, tinkering with his pistol. "Not like the dead would care much, and if they do they sure won't do anything about it."
ke a safe just fell on a ca
hived, but I'm happy to tr
ouns are they/she, pleas
ive on the misc forums, i

Wordweaver

"Explosssives are dangerousss but usseful. The cavernss could colapssse on our headsss. I sssugesst you bring the kegsss, but you mussst conssult with uss and usse disscression."

If the brigands are reasonably cooperative, Mal resolves to keep an eye on them but leaves to investigate the smaller group. He raises a hand to the assembled mortals by way of introduction.

"Greetingsss. My name iss Mal."
As above, so below.

Dark

Nirnen nods. "Well, then. I trust we know each other well enough to remain with the right party."
He juts his chin towards the brigands. "What was that about?"

Wordweaver

"Disssent in the rankss. The brigandss are using explosssivess and the ssagesss object. I advissed them to be cautiousss."
As above, so below.

Karanrimé

Floyd Raises his crossbow towards the entrance to the Catacombs, accidentally firing.

Oops.

[under construction]

;