News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Squad of Heroes [4/4... for now]

Started by Karanrimé, Apr 02, 2018, 01:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karanrimé

One could think of APW... as an experiment. Some things worked, some things didn't, there were balancing issues, and Someone *cough* *cough* 8435.5 *cough* *cough* never posted when I told him to.

Instead of warring parties, now... there is an adventuring party taking down a multitude of evils... but only in a dungeon format.

Some weapons were changed out, rogue has been introduced as a new class, items no longer scale with level, and a lot of the status effect items were removed, because an enemy will now strike fear into the hearts of your party.

While I do not have enough planned out to run the game, I do have enough planned out to intone the exposition, and by the time that's over, we'll have a working Game with which to play.

For now, we will have a signup, and a recommendation that at least one of these 4 players be a Cleric.

---

Now then, let's start off with the basics:

Each class has between two and six skills, scaling with the character level, not what class they are.
Each character starts at the average level of all party members currently in play, unless there are none, then level 1.
Enemies scale with that average as well.
Characters gain a level for each floor of the dungeon they successfully complete.
Death is (usually) not permanent, and even if it is for the floor, they will be able to be resurrected at the end of the floor, in most cases.
After Level 5, characters will be able to upgrade their passive abilities, which is not to be confused with the solid passives, available to the characters at the beginning of the game.
The dungeon is separated into "tiles." These tiles are, in combat, 4x4 smaller tiles, which can be overrun by a large number of enemies very quickly if you are not careful.

Solid passives:
Warrior: Solid bulky soldiers in Heavy armor with a great weapon selection
Aggression:
+ 15% damage
+ 5 Quickness
Protection:
+10% Damage protection (that is not ignored by anything)
+20% Missile protection (From bows,crossbows, etc.
Cleric: Healers in heavy armor that inflict divine retribution on their opponents, but have a limited weapon selection
Confession:
+ Healing skills heal by 40% of Cleric's max health, not 20%
Retribution:
+ 25% Smite damage
+ 25% Litany of Pain damage
+ 10% of health lost As damage
Rogue: Medium armored damage inflictors that can quickly strike where the opposition least expects it.
Glovemaking:
+ 500 Gold each hit
+ 1500 Gold per kill
Deadliness:
+ 10% critical hit chance
+ 75% critical hit damage
Ranger: Archers in medium armor that work well with a sword, but lack a lot of skills on sword.
Marksman:
+ 25% damage
- 5 Quickness
Requires Ranged
Warden:
+ 5 * level retaliation damage
+ 5 quickness
Mage: Wizards that deal huge damage with a barrage of spells, but lack good armor, being limited to the lightest available.
Barriers:
+20% damage protection
- 20% magical protection
Wind Conjuring
+10 Quickness
Movement takes no action
10% to stun nearby enemies

And with that, Signups!

[Items in Bold are required, Items in Italics will make my life easier if filled in, underlined items are excluded for Ranger and Rogue.]

Name:
Class:
1-handed or 2-handed:
Starting Solid passive:
General appearance:

---

Anything else that has not already been discovered in APW, will be discovered over time, so study up on APW, if you haven't already played.

Party so far:

Thartler:
Halt: Rogue: Level 1
---
Core stats:
Strength: 3
Endurance: 2
Dexterity: 3
Intelligence: 2
---
Equipment:
Head: Leather Helm - 1500
+ .5 Damage protection
- 1 Quickness
LEVEL 1
Body: Leather Chest - 2250
+ 2 Damage protection
- 1 Quickness
LEVEL 1
Legs: Leather Leggings -1875
+ 1 Damage protection
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
Hands: Leather Gloves - 1500
+ .5 Damage protection
LEVEL 1
Equip: Knife - 1000
+ 5 Damage
+ damage/STR
+ damage/DEX
LEVEL 1
Offhand: Open
---
Important Stats:
Base Health: 40
Health through Level: 10
Health through END: 4
Total health: 54/54
Max Power: 110
Power Regen: 5
Quickness: 51 (Action every 1.96 Seconds)
Damage: 11
Damage protection: 4%
Solid Passive: Glovemaking/Theivery
---
Other Stats:
none
---
Skills:
Sneak attack

Cost: 35 Power
Steal away from the crowd for one turn, appearing on top of an enemy within 2 Seconds of movement for 125% weapon damage, and getting back before next action.
Nigerian Prince:
Norman: Warrior: Level 1
---
Core stats:
Endurance: 3
Dexterity: 2
---
Equipment:
Head: Helm - 2000
+ .75 Damage protection
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
Body: Breastplate - 3000
+ 3 Damage protection
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
Legs: Greaves - 2500
+ 1.5 Damage protection
- 4 Quickness
LEVEL 1
Hands: Gauntlets - 2000
+ .75 Damage protection
LEVEL 1
Equip: Longsword - 1000
+ 9 Damage
+ damage/STR
- 1 Quickness
LEVEL 1
Offhand: Buckler - 1500
+ 1 Damage protection
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
---
Important Stats:
Base Health: 30
Health through Level: 20
Health through END: 15
Total health: 65/65
Max Power: 70
Quickness: 44 (Action every 2.27 Seconds)
Damage: 12
Damage protection: 17%
Solid Passive: Protection
---
Other Stats:
Missile protection: 20%
---
Skills:
Power Attack
Cost: 45 Power

130% damage in one action
TerrariaDude:
Steve: Warrior: Level 1
---
Core stats:
Endurance: 3
---
Equipment:
+ .75 Damage protection
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
+ 3 Damage protection
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
+ 1.5 Damage protection
- 4 Quickness
LEVEL 1
+ .75 Damage protection
LEVEL 1
Equip: Greatsword - 1000
+ 13 Damage
+ damage/STR
+ 4% stun chance
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
Offhand: Occupied by 2-handed weapon
---
Important Stats:
Base Health: 30
Health through Level: 20
Health through END: 15
Total health: 65/65
Max Power: 70
Quickness: 50 (Action every 2.00 Seconds)
Damage: 16
Damage protection: 6%
Solid Passive: Aggression
---
Other Stats:
+ 4% Stun chance
---
Skills:
Power Attack
Cost: 45 Power

130% damage in one action
Treehee:
Goh'ta: Cleric: Level 1
---
Core stats:
Endurance: 2
Intelligence: 3
---
Equipment:
+ .75 Damage protection
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
+ 3 Damage protection
- 2 Quickness
LEVEL 1
+ 1.5 Damage protection
- 4 Quickness
LEVEL 1
+ .75 Damage protection
LEVEL 1
Equip: Mace - 1000
+ 7 Damage
+ damage/STR
+ 3% stun chance
LEVEL 1
Offhand: Open
---
Important Stats:
Base Health: 35
Health through Level: 15
Health through END: 6
Total health: 56/56
Max Power: 90
Quickness: 47 (Action every 2.13 Seconds)
Damage: 10
Damage protection: 6%
Solid Passive: Retribution
---
Other Stats:
+ 25% damage to Smite
+ 25% damage to Litany of Pain
+ 10% health lost As damage
+ 3% stun chance
---
Skills:
Heal
Cost 35 Power

Heal anyone for 20% of Max Health
Map
Discord Server
Party Inventory: 15/500
1500 Gold
5x Healing potions: Heal 40% HP
5x Power Potions: Restore 40 Power
5x Revival potion: revive fallen ally with 20% HP
The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

Faressain

Name: Halt
Class: Rouge
1-handed or 2-handed: (excluded)
Starting Solid passive: Thievery
General appearance: Damaged leather armour, and broken and now useless shortbow, that he replaced with dagger to strike fast and decisively, suggests that he had to go through multiple battles. Other than that, has short black hair, light skin and green eyes.
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Karanrimé

Quote from: ThartlerName: Halt
General appearance: Damaged leather armour, and broken and now useless shortbow, that he replaced with dagger to strike fast and decisively, suggests that he had to go through multiple battles. Other than that, has short black hair, light skin and green eyes.
Accepted!

Don't worry, your armor doesn't start out damaged, but you can definitely get better items.

[under construction]

;

Faressain

Quote from: ChildGamer
Quote from: ThartlerName: Halt
Accepted!

Don't worry, your armor doesn't start out damaged, but you can definitely get better items.

Yeah, that was for flavour.

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Treehee

If non-humans are allowed,
Name: Goh'ta
Class: Cleric
1-handed or 2-handed: (is dual wield allowed on clerics? Otherwise 1-handed)
Starting Solid passive: Retribution
General appearance: A male goat-like humaoïd, with black fur on it's left half, and white fur on it's right half. A blue and a red eye, and horns that make half a rotation. Dark purble with medium green outfit.

Otherwise,
Name: Lucia
1-handed or 2-handed:2-handed
Starting Solid passive: Confession
General appearance: female human,  air skin, sharp face, brown hair, deep blue eyes, gold with white outfit.
greetings,

A random laughing tree

I'm a ninja :P

Karanrimé

Quote from: TreeheeIf non-humans are allowed,
General appearance: A male goat-like humaoïd, with black fur on it's left half, and white fur on it's right half. A blue and a red eye, and horns that make half a rotation. Dark purble with medium green outfit.

Otherwise,
General appearance: female human,  air skin, sharp face, brown hair, deep blue eyes, gold with white outfit.
*its. English is weird, since pronoun possessives don't use apostrophes.
I'm not going to flat-out reject Goh'ta, but that's going to:
A. Make relations weird because most adventuring parties of the day are all human.
B. Make it difficult to equip things, because these Helms are not made for goats.

I will point out that 1-handed and 2-handed indicate how many hands are used, and dual-wield is not in the game (period) unless you count Parrying daggers, so I'll let you decide what you want to do.

[under construction]

;

Treehee

Otherwise,
A. Make relations weird because most adventuring parties of the day are all human.
B. Make it difficult to equip things, because these Helms are not made for goats.

I will point out that 1-handed and 2-handed indicate how many hands are used, and dual-wield is not in the game (period) unless you count Parrying daggers, so I'll let you decide what you want to do.
Yeah I know it's its, I typed that while I was distracted x)

In that case is my second option okay?
greetings,

A random laughing tree

I'm a ninja :P

LiberianPrince

Name: Norman
Class: Warrior
1-handed or 2-handed: 1-handed
Starting Solid passive: Protection
General appearance: He's got big arms and he's bald.

Quote from: Don't Read ThisTier List
Absolutely Broken
Retribution Cleric- Almost never basic attacking, so 25% damage on two spells is crazy, added with the 10% health lost damage makes for best dps.
Confession Cleric- 40% max health is enough to fill up any dps and a 2 turn full heal means your team is always stacked up.
Strong Picks
Wind Conjuring Mage- Insane mobility with the ability to kite enemies. 10% stun is just icing on the cake. Incredible utility with added damage.
Protection Warrior- 10% damage mitigation is solid, and the 30% on ranged opponents is good enough to get an engage without dying. Armor makes this guy near unkillable.
Balanced Choice
Aggression Warrior- On roids. Strong damage boost with the speed to engage, clean bruiser with near no downsides.
Marksman Ranger- Very powerful dps and outranges melee. Screwed by anything with a speed boost.
Barriers Mage- Incredible tank stats against all physical damage for a dps, but magic will almost always mean death.
Weak Picks
Warden Ranger- Not meant to take damage, so retaliation damage isn't super good. Speed buff is nice for disengage though.
Deadliness Rogue- 10% crit is too unreliable, and objectively worse than Wind Mage's stun. Still has some spicy damage if the crit lands though.
Borderline Unplayable
Thievery Rogue- No damage or defense buffs, and 500 gold means very little to a squishy character. Might be useful early on but eventually outscaled by every other class.

Buff rogue and nerf cleric pls

Faressain

Erm, The 500 gold earn from Thieving Rouge + Heal from Cleric can make a lot of early fortune if nobody else engages. Just say he's early looter. And we get next passives too every 5 levels, so it may be deceiving choices too.

Also clerics have limited weapon, rouges are medium-armour and mages are weak defensively. Also, how would you afford that kind of armor though, Nuclear? That's job of Thieving Rouge if he shares the money.

LiberianPrince

Quote from: ThartlerErm, The 500 gold earn from Thieving Rouge + Heal from Cleric can make a lot of early fortune if nobody else engages. Just say he's early looter. And we get next passives too every 5 levels, so it may be deceiving choices too.
Also clerics have limited weapon, rouges are medium-armour and mages are weak defensively. Also, how would you afford that kind of armor though, Nuclear? That's job of Thieving Rouge if he shares the money.
Level 1 Leather Gloves cost 1500 gold, and that's not worth 3 turns of attacking, especially when compared to some other classes with crazy damage or sustainability. Clerics having limited weapons mean near nothing when you consider that their main form of dps is spells and if they're not casting then they're healing. Weapons are low-priority for a cleric so long as their spells are viable. As for mages, Wind Conjuring has insane mobility and Barriers has tank stats comparable to warriors. The Thieving Rogue's whole game plan is to get an equipment lead on the other classes through combat, but it has no combat buffs, and sharing gold makes it a deadweight once the team gets out of low levels. There's certainly chances for power once they hit level 5+, but as of now there is near no benefits to playing Thieving Rogue. That's not to say you can't play as a Thieving Rogue, but other classes are just purely better stat-wise.

Faressain

Quote from: NigerianPrince
Quote from: ThartlerErm, The 500 gold earn from Thieving Rouge + Heal from Cleric can make a lot of early fortune if nobody else engages. Just say he's early looter. And we get next passives too every 5 levels, so it may be deceiving choices too.
Level 1 Leather Gloves cost 1500 gold, and that's not worth 3 turns of attacking, especially when compared to some other classes with crazy damage or sustainability. Clerics having limited weapons mean near nothing when you consider that their main form of dps is spells and if they're not casting then they're healing. Weapons are low-priority for a cleric so long as their spells are viable. As for mages, Wind Conjuring has insane mobility and Barriers has tank stats comparable to warriors. The Thieving Rogue's whole game plan is to get an equipment lead on the other classes through combat, but it has no combat buffs, and sharing gold makes it a deadweight once the team gets out of low levels. There's certainly chances for power once they hit level 5+, but as of now there is near no benefits to playing Thieving Rogue. That's not to say you can't play as a Thieving Rogue, but other classes are just purely better stat-wise.

What about ranged foes then? Or foes that are immune for stuns or entities. Spell DMG is also affected by weapons (see the original game).

Also you shouldn't judge classes by stats. Also, AoE/room reaching attacks can easily mess-up with everyone, not just the squishy and immobile foes, but also extremely speedy mages. Don't get me wrong, you haven't seen all the stats yet.

Also, that's actually 28% ranged defence multiplicatively for defensive warriors, but warriors must fight close, thus Protective means nothing when he's being kited.

Also, 10% of health lost As damage. Outhealing damage is painfully slow way to kill a foe, and chances are, you'll forget to heal a party and they must start anew.

You don't need stats when you have strategy, either.

Thieves are the main Damage-to-Gold convertors, and possibly the only one as for now. Also, did you suggest with APW stats?

Karanrimé

Quote from: Treehee

Otherwise,

Yeah I know it's its, I typed that while I was distracted x)

In that case is my second option okay?
Either is fine.

Main note about barriers: Magic attacks will still do the same damage, and a lot of enemies have magic attacks.

Danage protection does not affect status modifers either.

[under construction]

;

LiberianPrince

What about ranged foes then? Or foes that are immune for stuns or entities. Spell DMG is also affected by weapons (see the original game).
I mean, that doesn't change the point that weapon choices don't mean much for clerics. It's pretty much only implemented so they can't use strong physical weapons to buffer their strong healing/spells.

Also, that's actually 28% ranged defense manipulatively for defensive warriors, but warriors must fight close, thus Protective means nothing when he's being kited.
A protection warrior's main purpose is to be a tank though. The whole point is that they're redirecting threats to themselves to protect dps and supports. Fighting isn't so much of an issue as drawing aggro is.

Also, 10% of health lost As damage. Outhealing damage is painfully slow way to kill a foe, and chances are, you'll forget to heal a party and they must start anew.
That's just one of the stats part of a Retribution Cleric's kit though. It's still incredibly efficient damage with 25% bonus, and healing party members is much less about stats and more about player choice.

So does that mean stats are meaningless though? No amount of strategy can save an unarmed man against a fighter jet.

Thieves are the main Damage-to-Gold converters, and possibly the only one as for now. Also, did you suggest with APW stats?
Converting damage to gold just simply doesn't help in a combat scenario. Just because you came up with the stats doesn't they're necessarily balanced, especially when you realize that you'll be doing less damage, and making a pair of leather gloves every 3 turns up until level 5.

Faressain

Quote from: NigerianPrince
I mean, that doesn't change the point that weapon choices don't mean much for clerics. It's pretty much only implemented so they can't use strong physical weapons to buffer their strong healing/spells.

Also, that's actually 28% ranged defense manipulatively for defensive warriors, but warriors must fight close, thus Protective means nothing when he's being kited.
A protection warrior's main purpose is to be a tank though. The whole point is that they're redirecting threats to themselves to protect dps and supports. Fighting isn't so much of an issue as drawing aggro is.

That's just one of the stats part of a Retribution Cleric's kit though. It's still incredibly efficient damage with 25% bonus, and healing party members is much less about stats and more about player choice.

So does that mean stats are meaningless though? No amount of strategy can save an unarmed man against a fighter jet.

Thieves are the main Damage-to-Gold converters, and possibly the only one as for now. Also, did you suggest with APW stats?
Converting damage to gold just simply doesn't help in a combat scenario. Just because you came up with the stats doesn't they're necessarily balanced, especially when you realize that you'll be doing less damage, and making a pair of leather gloves every 3 turns up until level 5.

Let's drop this useless argument. Fighter jet can still make a blunder or run out of ammo, or even fuel. Also, you do realize that theft is only an effect to help gain the gold, and rouges have some period of invincibility (about 2 seconds). Unarmed man can hide behind cover, predict where the plane will fly, hide etc. And stop putting the 'no anything sure win' situations, they happen extremely rarely. I also suppose clerics have lower attack/speed due to limited weapon select, thus also lower spell power except for heal (which targets only one person. What if foes hit multiple + cleric? Who to save first?).

Also, your way of explaining stuff isn't helpful at all.

But I found a blunder in Wind Conjuring that makes him grade infinity+ for exploring.

Movement takes no action - if that's true - they can just rush the dungeons indefinitely till the user is bored or hits an obstacle.

LiberianPrince

You concede.

Relying on your enemy being less skilled than you is the second worst playstyle next to "use all your abilities and hope something good happens."
Rogues are unplayable and an equally skilled player could easily make more of an impact with literally any other class.  Even if you had invincibility, rogues can only use that offensively, and having no extra damage stats makes rogues worse than Aggression Warriors in every way.

That said, Thieving Rogues are pretty damn effective glove makers.
:P

Faressain

Quote from: NigerianPrinceYou concede.

Relying on your enemy being less skilled than you is the second worst playstyle next to "use all your abilities and hope something good happens."
Rogues are unplayable and an equally skilled player could easily make more of an impact with literally any other class.  Even if you had invincibility, rogues can only use that offensively, and having no extra damage stats makes rogues worse than Aggression Warriors in every way.

That said, Thieving Rogues are pretty darn effective glove makers.

Then, what about parrying daggers then? I bet no one else has them.

Relying on enemy is indeed, bad, but as I said, you need also to predict his next move. Will he flank you? Will he straight-up attack you? Use abilities? And if you can't, try to act as best as possible. Generally, my moral was this.

Your moral - Strategy? Nah, I rely on breaking the game.

My moral - I shouldn't rely on anyone but myself and surroundings (party and nearby monsters/dangerous monsters, not all enemies).

LiberianPrince

Parrying daggers can't carry a class out of the trash pit :P
If you'd think as intelligently as you say you do, then It's clear that strategy means near nothing when there are clear upsides to using anything that's not a rogue.
Numbers are things, and some of them are bigger than each other.

We could rename the whole class into "Glove Maker" though.

Faressain

Quote from: NigerianPrinceParrying daggers can't carry a class out of the trash pit :P
If you'd think as intelligently as you say you do, then It's clear that strategy means near nothing when there are clear upsides to using anything that's not a rogue.
Numbers are things, and some of them are bigger than each other.

We could rename the whole class into "Glove Maker" though.

Numbers are nothing if skills allows you to kill without even single number favouring you.

LiberianPrince

Prove it, then. Play the whole campaign with only the starting gear. You only need your skills, right?

Faressain

Quote from: NigerianPrinceProve it, then. Play the whole campaign with only the starting gear. You only need your skills, right?

Also, prove your 'stats are necessary to win' in turn.

Some enemies have special gimmicks. And Rouges are likely to get poison upgrade sometime soon.

*cough* Slumber Wands, Stayaway Wands, Petrify Wands on P: SMD, perhaps every 'guard' emera, perhaps every utility move or every utility wands.

Karanrimé

Both of you, shut up.

Retribution is a fairly effective damage dealer, Confession can heal in a hurry.
Deadliness isn't all that great because 2x damage isn't huge, though it is helpful.
Items scale in value slowly by level, and you're going to hit at least 30 times per level.
Some stats do not scale by level: IE Damage Protection, so items with no scaling items are as good at level 1 as at level 50.
Party movement across the dungeon map for exploration purposes must be done as a whole party, and moving isn't that useful against ranged anyway.
So once again, shut up, and only speak if you want to play, please.

[under construction]

;

LiberianPrince

Karanrimé

Quote from: NigerianPrinceGimme my Character dad
Make one, unless all this has hidden one from me smh
Edit: found him

On mobile, so wait a lot of time until I'm on desktop.

[under construction]

;

Faressain

Anyway, you forgot about Treehee too.

Karanrimé

Quote from: ThartlerAnyway, you forgot about Treehee too.
Nope, I didn't.

I've let him or her know either character is okay, and he or she still has not yet replied.

[under construction]

;