News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

A Very Complex Counting Game

Started by Tymewalk, Dec 12, 2017, 11:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tymewalk

In this game, we'll be counting up by a very complex, very strange system I've designed, based on several other counting games. This is intended to be very complex, so sorry if it sounds less like a TBG and more like a mathematical paper.

The Counting System

The counting system relies on a 3x3 grid of numbers. The columns and rows change, but will be explained shortly. For now, all you need to know is that when a column or row is triggered, all numbers in that column or row gain or lose a point.

For example:

A | B | C
---------------
 1  0 | 0 | 28
---------------
 2  2 | -1| 4
---------------
 3 -12|-50|101

Now, let us assume Column A is triggered to gain a point. Thus, all numbers (A1, A2, and A3) gain a point:

A | B | C
---------------
 1  1 | 0 | 28
---------------
 2  3 | -1| 4
---------------
 3 -11|-50|101

The Rows
The rows are simple - each has a character at the start, which will be swapped around shortly. If your username contains the character in the row, add that character's position to all numbers in the row. (If it occurs multiple times, only use the first occurance.) If it does not contain the character in the row, subtract the length of your username from that row. It is not case sensitive, so "a" would apply to "A", and vice-versa.

For example, let us assume Row 1 is M, Row 2 is A, and Row 3 is H. In my username, M is the second letter, A is the sixth, and H does not occur. So our square from earlier:

A | B | C
---------------
M1  1 | 0 | 28
---------------
A2  3 | -1| 4
---------------
H3 -11|-50|101

Would now look like:

A | B | C
---------------
M1  3 | 2 | 30   (+2)
---------------
A2  9 | 5 | 10   (+6)
---------------
H3 -3 |-42|93    (-8)

Now, the rows do change. Going in the following order - abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890$ (in which the dollar sign represents any non-alphanumeric character) - you then offset the letter by how much the value was changed. For this example, I will only show M and H - A follows the same principle. Because I added 2 to M, I must then advance the letter by two - N, O. The new letter for Row 1 is O. Similarly, because I subtracted 8 from H, I must go backwards by eight - G, F, E, D, C, B, A, $. This now leaves the square as such:

A | B | C
---------------
O1  3 | 2 | 30
---------------
G2  9 | 5 | 10
---------------
$3 -3 |-42|93

The Columns
If the rows explanation scared you, don't fret! The columns are much easier to understand. Rather than revolving around a complex system of names, the columns are simply based on whether or not you like something. Each column has an item, in the same way that each row has a letter.

For each column, roll a d6, then do the following results:

1: Add 1 to the column if you like it, subtract 1 if you dislike it.
2: Add 5 from the column if you like it, subtract 5 if you dislike it.
3: Add 10 if you like it, subtract 10 if you dislike it.
4: Nothing happens.
5: Change the column. (See below.)
6: Bad luck! Subtract 8 from the column if you like it, add 8 if you dislike it.

For example, after applying the rows, I pick column B, which is pizza. I like pizza, so I roll a d6, and get 3, meaning I add 10 to all numbers. This changes the board from this:

A | B | C
---------------
O1  3 | 2 | 30
---------------
G2  9 | 5 | 10
---------------
$3 -3 |-42|93

To this:

A | B | C
---------------
O1  3 |12 | 30
---------------
G2  9 |15 | 10
---------------
$3 -3 |-32| 93

Now, let's say I roll a 5, and have to change the topic. This is, like the rest of the system, very simple. You simply pick another topic which you like or dislike.

Winning the Game
There are two teams - positive, and negative. If your username has a capital letter, you are on the positive team. If it does not, you are on the negative team.

The teams win if all squares cross 100 or -100, respectively. In that case, the team gains a win, and the board is reset to the defaults. The person responsible for the win may choose new column topics.

Wins so far: 0 positive, 0 negative.

Example Gameplay
For this example, a user named Alice81 will play from the starting board.

Topic A: Cats
Topic B: Ice Cream
Topic C: Rock music

Row 1: A
Row 2: 0
Row 3: $

A | B | C
---------------
1  0 | 0 | 0
---------------
2  0 | 0 | 0
---------------
3  0 | 0 | 0

First, Alice goes through the rows. She does have an A in her name, as the first letter, so she adds 1 to the first row. She then advances the letter by 1 - resulting in B:

Row 1: B
   A | B | C
---------------
1  1 | 1 | 1
She does not have a 0 or a non-alphanumeric character in her name, so she subtracts 7 (the length of her username) from both remaining rows:
  A | B | C
---------------
2 -7 |-7 |-7
---------------
3 -7 |-7 |-7

She then must change the letters back by seven - resulting in 3 and 4.
Row 2: 3
Row 3: 4

Our board now looks like:

A | B | C
---------------
1  1 | 1 | 1
---------------
2 -7 |-7 |-7
---------------
3 -7 |-7 |-7
Then Alice does the columns. She rolls 3 d6es, resulting in 3, 1, and 5. She likes cats and ice cream, so she adds the respective values to both:

A | B | C
---------------
1  11| 2 | 1
---------------
2  3 |-6 |-7
---------------
3  3 |-6 |-7

She then must choose a new topic for C. Being on the positive team, she decides to pick dogs, something else she likes:
Topic C: Dogs

A | B | C
---------------
1  11| 2 | 1
---------------
2  3 |-6 |-7
---------------
3  3 |-6 |-7
Leaving the above as the final board.

Rules
- Try to include the steps in your post.
- ANY topics for liking/disliking which can spark flamewars (users, for example) are strictly forbidden. In the event an inappropriate topic is used, simply choose a new topic and play from there.
- These rules may change, I'm mostly focused on the system.

Ready? Let's begin.

Row 1: A
Row 2: 0
Row 3: $

A | B | C
---------------
1  0 | 0 | 0
---------------
2  0 | 0 | 0
---------------
3  0 | 0 | 0
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Alex The JPEG

So I'm on the negative team...

A   |   B  | C
--------------------
B1  -7   | -7   | -7
--------------------
22 -16  | -16 | -16
--------------------
33  -16 |-16  | -16
Check out my GitHub! You might find some neat stuff there!

POST PROGRESS (updated 12/15/2020)
██████░░░░ 0 - 10,000
░░░░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 7,000
███░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 6,100

Alex The JPEG

██████░░░░ 0 - 10,000
░░░░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 7,000
███░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 6,100

Starmeadows

Positive team, apparently

A   |   B  | C
--------------------
71  -7   | -7   | -9 (-10)
--------------------
S2 -16  | -16 | -18 (-10)
--------------------
T3  -16 |-16  | -18 (-10)
  (+10) (+10) (+8)

Tymewalk

Rolls: 4, 2, 6

A  |   B  | C
--------------------
Y1  -15 | -10 | -25 (-8, 7 -> Y)
---------------------
K2   -24| -19 | -34 (-8, S -> K)
--------------------
U3  -15 |-10  | -25 (+1, T -> U)
     (±0) (+5) (-8)
Whosoever holds this banhammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of moderaThor...
he/him | Text Based Games Forums Discord Server | Just Dance 2014 | (つo.o)つ It's Kirby!
back on the road, back down the road, downtown, i don't have courage but i have something else - and it's more than words

Starmeadows

2, 6, 6

A  |   B  | C
--------------------
51  -4 | -12 | -11 (+6, Y-5)
---------------------
$2   -29 | -37 | -36 (-10, K-$)
--------------------
L3  -20 |-28  | -27 (-10, U-L)
      (+5) (-8) (+8)

Alex The JPEG

3, 6, 6

A   |     B    | C
------------------------
W1  -2    |   -30  | -9 (-8)
------------------------
32   -27 |  -55   | -34 (-8)
------------------------
N3  -8  |  -36   | -15 (+2)

██████░░░░ 0 - 10,000
░░░░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 7,000
███░░░░░░░ 6,000 - 6,100

Tymewalk

Oh man, I remember this game. Not surprised it hasn't been played in nearly 2 years... :P

Roll A: 6 (Mostly indifferent to cats but it's more like than dislike, so -8 to A)
Roll B: 1 (I like ice cream so +1 to B)
Roll C: 2 (I like rock music so +5 to C)

A   |   B    | C
------------------------
W1  -5    |   -24  | 1  (+5) [W does not change]
------------------------
U2   -43 |  -62   | -37 (-8) [3 changes to U]
------------------------
N3  -24  |  -35   | -10 (-8) [N changes to F]

Took me a solid 15 minutes to do this. Maybe my next counting game should require less math...

PkmnQ

[ngv]does this mean my thread is a duplicate[/ngv]
This was a thing I tried to do, but insert mess of a sentence here. Also, I'm a vowelless neither transparent nor translucent mammal of the genus Neogale, I guess. :/ B)
The future experience must be anticipated beforehand to ensure proper expectations.
Tip: Use c͢ombining cha͊racters, because ye᷂s.
Quine list

Threads that I think should be played more (found in the Infinite Flood): link chain