News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Guide for New TBGers + TBG Resources!

Started by the2000, Nov 09, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the2000

This article is a permanently WORK IN PROGRESS. Well, except for when I leave and/or the site ends.

This is a tutorial, and I can't write a good introduction that's better than the one in the last edition, so let's just get right into it.

-=BEGINNING THE TBG FORUMS=-

FIRST OFF... Don't be surprised if the website runs slow, or other things. It's like that.

Community Guidelines - These rules are very important to using the site, and are probably what you've heard on pretty much every other website, but it can't hurt to look through them and read up on any rules that could be new to you.

Ye Olde Welcome Wonka Wagon - A place to introduce yourself, and usually meet people who are active on the site. You can make it short and simple, or type a good description of yourself (don't give out your name, location, phone number, house address, or any other personal information).

Your Profile - I can't link to this, but do you see that bar near the top of the screen, above the thing that says "logged in as [your username]?" Click "profile" off of that bar. You can customize your signature here, and see your general stats. Don't put your real name down, despite the prompt. No one on this forum takes it seriously. A signature is a little piece of text at the bottom of each post you make that can have anything written in "BBCode." Some examples of BBCode and a link to a page full of all the things you can do with it is later down, you'll probably see it. It can tell people about you, it can link to important websites, it can make announcements, and more. To customize your signature, click the "Personality" button off of the "Profile menu" on the left side of the profile screen, and put whatever you want on it. Skip to near the end of this tutorial for some signature examples. And finally,

TBG Subforum - Considering you found this post, I'd bet you were already here, but it's probably the best place to go after doing those things. Please remember that any and all post count recommendations I give are completely optional, and are just general ideas of when you grasped the concept well enough. If you have knowledge about text-based games in general, you probably already should know everything past this point (except for the following paragraph about the New TBGer status).

Quick notice about TBGer ranks - When you join the site, you may notice you are labeled as a New TBGer. This means that you cannot edit or delete your posts, and you have to wait 180 seconds between posts. Everyone on the site (except for a few mods) were once New TBGers. When you reach 21 posts, you achieve the TBGer status. This means you can edit and delete your posts, and you have to wait 60 seconds between posts.(here's the one and only citation and this, don't ask why I added it)

-=MASTERING THE SUBFORUMS=-

TBG Subforum - I'd recommend to make this your first stop (well, unless you joined for RPGs or MFGs, in that case, just read ahead and ignore my post count recommendations). Just click on any game that looks like it interests you, and start posting. A TBG doesn't have many definitive characters, and doesn't have a plot, influenced by everyone's actions. After from about 50 to about 75 posts, I'd recommend going onto the next step.

Making a TBG - Usually this is simple. Get an idea, type the rules (if needed) and basic description of how to play the game, and submit it. Here are some ideas:

-____ happens if any user posts enough times in a row.
-You have to do ____, and you have to explain why the last thing someone tried to do backfired, and you then try something else yourself, usually to no avail.
-You're writing a story, one ____ at a time. For example, One Word Story (a classic) has you make sentences, and everyone posts one word in it.
-Count up until ____ happens.
-Whoever can ____ first gets a point.
-Count up by ____.
-Whoever can ____ gets a point.

Note: If you're doing a point game and keeping track of points, you'll have to have the edit post feature unlocked, which unlocks at post 21, as stated before.

RPG Subforum - The TBG Forums can get a little tiring at this point. Nothing has a permanent effect on the plot. Well, that's the opposite of what happens in the RPG Forums. To join, you can see what name looks interesting, click on it, and see if it interests you. If it doesn't, go for another, but if it does, it usually should have a "sign-up sheet" that you can copy and describe your character with. An RPG has many characters, and plenty of actions are important and work with the plot. Afterwards, make sure you can play often enough to be in the action, and if you haven't joined very early, you can read up on the RPG. For help with role-playing, refer to this page, written by Kayybee. At this point, you should be skilled enough to decide when to make your own RPG, if not, I recommend about 250 to about 300 posts, but remember, it will come with a responsibility.

Making an RPG - Before you do this, consider if you have the time to respond to almost every action and run the game. If you believe you do, then read the rest.
An RPG needs a solid plot, a sign-up sheet, and a goal. I'm not too experienced in the realm of RP designing, but eventually I might update this with how to make an RPG. Either way, I'll refer you to this tutorial by PreoKid for now. I'm not a big fan of the MFG forums, but if you are interested, check the next section.

Playing/Making an MFG - Thank Kaybee for this one. It's a FAQ, but it should get you started.

-=Secrets & BBCode=-

Click "quick quote" in the corner of a post to point out you're referring to it.
To quote a short segment, select the wanted text to quote and then click "quick quote."

The simplest ones are here:

To make text bold, click the "b" button above your post, or type this:
[b](Text goes here)[/b]
To make text slanted, click the "i" button above your post, or type this:
[i](Text goes here)[/i]
To make text underlined, click the "u" button above your post, or type this:
[u](Text goes here)[/u]
To add a weblink, click the "url" button above your post, or type this:
[url=(Weblink goes here)](Text leading to link goes here)[/url]
To add an image, click the "img" button above your post, or type this:
[img](Image goes here)[/img]
To add a quote or code, click the "code" or "quote" buttons, or type this:
Quote:
[quote=(Person you're quoting goes here, if you just want a box, remove the = and this text)](Text goes here)[/quote]Code:
[code](Text goes here)[/code]
The difference between quotes and code is that code makes it so no BBCode (the previous things, and the next two are also BBCode.

To make text colored, type this:
[color=(Color goes here)](Text to be colored goes here)[/color]I'm pretty sure a complete list of colors is here, or you can choose your own and copy the code from here.

To add an emoticon or emoji, press the corresponding button above your post. :| (If you want to disable Smileys for the post, check the box that reads "never show smilies as icons for this post."

For a couple others, check this page out.
-=How do signatures look?=-

Here are some signature examples.

Bio -
Hi, my name is Generic User, I like Thing and Thing, and I am also on Generic Website.

Announcement -
Hey everybody! My RPG "Thing RPG" has three player spots left before I begin!

Navbar -
MY PORTAL: Thing RP
Something Story
My Generic Website

-=Extra Resources=-

TBG/RPG Resources by all the mods - An entire list of TBG/RPG Resources. Might render this obsolete, actually.
[Resource] How to improve your RPG characters by Somelia - Nice tips
Springhole.net - Good resources for your characters
Official Chat - Ask around for more help, and maybe find me, but if it keeps logging you in and out, go to
My Scratch Account - If you're all out of places, ask me on my Scratch.
(Additionally, you could just post in this thread.)
Nice list of BBCode tools.

-=THE END (for now...)=-

Please request something if it's missing.

-=EDIT HISTORY=-
Release
Edit 1.01 (Thank you message to the mod DGC for mentioning in "resources")
Edit 1.02 (Thank you message to the mod DGC for getting me stickied, and also removed a link)
Edit 1.03 (Thank you message to the mod DGC for recommending this for sticky, and to the mods who stickied it)
Edit 1.1 (What do signatures look like? section, minor touchups)
Edit 1.15 (Navbar added to sticky examples, added "secrets & BBCode" section)
Edit 1.2  (Useful BBCode link, most importantly cooler layout)
Edit 1.21 (Fixed broken link)
Edit 1.22 (Typo fixed, thanks Wolfslime123)
Edit 1.3 (Chatzy link invlaid; abandoned link)
wasteof - the game of joining the game continues

<-- This is my friend dan. we are good chums
DAN FACT OF THE DAY: dan can only count to six on his hands

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

j u m b l e !

Currently listening to: Lemaitre - 1:18

CellularData

(insert something fun here)

TBGs motto of 2018: let's not die please

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

j u m b l e !

CellularData

Quote from: 8435.5wait what
I wasn't replying to you lol sorry

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

Quote from: epicanna27
oh i thought you were going to launch into a tirade about why scratch sucks
j u m b l e !

CellularData

Quote from: 8435.5
I could, would you like that

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

j u m b l e !

redgreenandblue

Quote from: 8435.5
Quote from: epicanna27I wasn't replying to you lol sorry
I could, would you like that
pls no

@the2000 this is good
🌱

the2000

Quote from: redgreenandbluepls no

@the2000 this is good
Thanks! I'm going to update it a bit.

Quote from: 8435.5you mistyped lambo's scratch url
Lol, one letter off

Edit: Does anybody notice what the "Withered Hope" RP links to? BTW, its name is a reference to the TMBG song with the same name, great song.

CellularData

I wonder if you can actually make a website with a url that long :P

the2000

Quote from: epicanna27I wonder if you can actually make a website with a url that long :P
As far as I know, there's no problem with that in web hosting. There's no expense for a long URL, as far as I see. Just name the folder containing the main page's index to "lolnothereisntandneverwillbeanrpgcalledwitheredhope."

Also, someone will make an RP called Withered Hope to prove me wrong, and then I'll just change it to Spiraling Shape or something.

the2000

CellularData

Quote from: the2000
Quote from: epicanna27I wonder if you can actually make a website with a url that long :P
As far as I know, there's no problem with that in web hosting. There's no expense for a long URL, as far as I see. Just name the folder containing the main page's index to "lolnothereisntandneverwillbeatbgcalledwitheredhope."

Also, someone will make an RP called Withered Hope to prove me wrong, and then I'll just change it to Spiraling Shape or something.
Wait a second, isn't it about an RPG called withered hope? not a TBG?

the2000

Quote from: epicanna27Wait a second, isn't it about an RPG called withered hope? not a TBG?
I was talking about anything on the forums, but I'll change that, I guess.

manosysltia

pickles are just cucumbers and my life is a lie

DownsGameClub

I added this to the TBG/RPG helpful resources and I will now send a ping to the moderation staff.

the2000

Quote from: manosysltiathis has to get stickied
Quote from: DownsGameClubI added this to the TBG/RPG helpful resources and I will now send a ping to the moderation staff.
Wow, thanks guys! I'll be kind enough to remove the link to xXLamboFanXx's profile now.

Shpore

A long time ago I made something that was helpful as this (probably) and the mods didn't even think about it :|

CellularData

Quote from: ShporeA long time ago I made something that was helpful as this (probably) and the mods didn't even think about it :|
1) It's because you used that social experiment alt
2) It mostly focused on dealing with the community and very specific situations. While helpful I don't think it went into as much detail as this actually does.

DownsGameClub

Quote from: the2000... I'll be kind enough to remove the link to xXLamboFanXx's profile now.
What was that for anyway?  :lol:

the2000

Quote from: DownsGameClub
Quote from: the2000... I'll be kind enough to remove the link to xXLamboFanXx's profile now.
What was that for anyway?  :lol:
So you can troll him.
YAY STICKIED

CoolTBGGaming

https://ecosia.org Switch to Ecosia to help save the environment while searching the internet!

I don't care if my signature doesn't get cut off on certain styles lol

i hate this account ngl

the2000

Quote from: CoolTBGGamingAnother sticky!
Yep.

blue79

cool guide, i will try to use it to make my tbging even better. but i have 1 question:
why do i have to wait until i get 50 posts to try making my own tbg? is this a rule?
insert signature here