News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

NAME IDEAS FOR CHARACTERS

Started by SpicyMeatball, Jun 07, 2017, 02:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpicyMeatball

(if this does not belong in the RPG forum, mods, please move it)

These have been copy-pasted. Most of these names sound dumb, I know.
red = girl names
blue = boy names
purple = supposedly suitable for both genders
feel free to steal names
i will add more names soon! feel free to leave suggestions below!

AUTUMN THEMED NAMES
Amber, Apple, Autumn, Berry, Charde, Crysanthemum, Coral, Fira / Fire, Golda / Golden / Goldie, Laurel, Maple, Mauve, November, Raven, Saffron, Sage, Scarlet, Sienna, Sparrow, Windy

Auburn, Blaze, Birch, Branch, Bronze, Browning, Chard, Farmer, Forest / Forrest, Frost, Hawk / Hawke, Hunter, Kale, Leaf / Leif, Mountain, Orange, Red / Redd, Rusty Wood / Woods / Woody

Ash, Aster, Brown, Copper, Crimson, Garnet, Harvest, Hay, Hazel, Hue, Maize, Oak, October, Pumpkin, September, Tree

COLOR THEMED NAMES

Alba (white), Amber, Aqua, Aurelia (golden), Azura, Blanche, Cherry, Claret, Clementine, Cinnamon, Coral, Crystal, Ebony, Emerald, Fuchsia, Goldie, Hazel, Ivory, Jade, Kelly - (green), Lavender, Lilac, Magenta, Marigold, Mauve, Mazarin (dark blue), Melanie (black), Olive, Pink, Raven, Rose, Ruby, Russet, Sable, Saffron (golden-orange), Scarlet, Sepia, Sienna (rich brown), Silver, Tawny, Turquoise, Violet, Viridian (greenish blue), Xanthe (yellow)

Auburn, Beige, Beryl (green stone), Blanc, Blue, Bluejay, Brick, Brown, Bruno, Copper, Coal, Flint, Gray / Grey, Green, Hunter - (green), Ivory, Jet / Jett - (black), Morado (inspired by purple), Moss, Navy, Red / Redd, Roux, Rusty, Sage, Silver, Slate, Sterling, Tan / Tanner

Ash, Azure, Blue, Cerulean (sky blue), Cyan, Garnet, Green, Indigo, Noir, Raven, Teal/Teale

PLANT THEMED NAMES

Acacia, Alder, Almond, Aloe, Amaranth, Amaryllis, Ambrosia, Anemone, Angelica, Anise, Ash, Aspen, Aster, Azalea, Bay, Beech, Begonia, Belladonna, Blossom, Bluebell, Bryony, Buttercup, Calla, Camellia, Carnation, Cassia, Cedar, Celosia, Chervil, Cicely, Clematis, Clove, Clover, Coriander, Daffodil, Dahlia, Daisy, Daphne, Elm, Fennel, Fern, Fleur, Flora, Flower, Forsythia, Fuschia, Gardenia, Garland, Geranium, Hazel, Heather, Hibiscus, Holly, Honeysuckle, Hyacinth, Iris, Ivy, Jasmine, Jessamine, Jonquil, Juniper, Kale, Katniss, Kennedia, Lantana, Laurel, Lavender, Leilani, Lilac, Lily, Linden, Linnaea, Lotus, Lucerne, Magnolia, Maple, Marigold, Mimosa, Myrtle, Olive, Orchid, Pansy, Parsley, Peony, Peppermint, Petal, Petunia, Poppy, Posy, Primrose, Reed, Rose, Rosemary, Rowan, Rubia, Rue, Saffron, Sage, Sakura, Senna, Sequoia, Sorrel, Spruce, Sycamore, Tansy, Tarragon, Thyme, Tigerlily, Tulip, Verbena, Veronica, Violet, Viscaria, Wattle, Willow, Wisteria, Yarrow, Zinnia

Alder, Alfalfa, Amaranth, Ash, Aspen, Aster, Balsam, Basil, Bay, Beech, Birch, Cedar, Chervil, Clove, Coriander, Elm, Fennel, Garland, Hazel, Hyacinth, Jessamine, Juniper, Kale, Larch, Linden, Mace, Narcissus, Oak, Oleander, Parsley, Peppermint, Pine, Reed, Rowan, Rue, Saffron, Sage, Sequoia, Sorrel, Spruce, Sycamore, Thyme, Valerian, Wattle, Yarrow

GOD/GODDESS THEMED NAMES
Aphrodite    -    Greek Goddess of Love and Beauty
Apollo    -    Greek God of Music
Aries    -    Greek God of War
Artemis    -    Greek Goddess of the Night and the Hunt. Protector of Women
Athena    -    Goddess of Wisdom, War, Art, Industry, Justice, and Skill
Demeter    -    Greek Goddess of Corn, Grain, and the Harvest
Dionysus    -    Greek God of Wine, Agriculture, and Fertility of Nature
Hades    -    Ruler of the Underworld
Helios    -    Greek God of the Sun
Hephaestus    -    Greek God of Smiths and Fire
Hera    -    Great Queen of Mount Olympus. Goddess of Marriage and Birth
Hermes    -    Greek God of Riches, Trade, and Luck
Hestia    -    Greek Goddess of Hearth Fire and Domestic Life
Persephone    -    Goddess of the Underworld
Poseidon    -    Greek God of the Sea
Selene    -    Goddess of the Moon
Zeus    -    Ruler of all the Greek Gods. God of the Light and the Sky

Apollo    -    Roman God of Sun, Music, Poetry, Prophecy, and Healing
Bacchus    -    Roman God of Wine
Bellona    -    Roman Goddess of War
Ceres    -    Roman Goddess of Corn
Cupid    -    Roman God of Love
Diana    -    Roman Goddess of Fertility, Hunting, and the Moon
Faunus    -    Roman God of Prophecy
Flora    -    Roman Goddess of Flowers
Janus    -    Roman God of Gates and Doors
Juno    -    Roman Goddess of Marriage and Women
Jupiter    -    Supreme King of the Roman Gods
Lares    -    Roman God of Household and Estate
Libintia    -    Roman Goddess of Funerals
Maia    -    Roman Goddess of Growth and Increase
Mars    -    Roman God of War
Mercury    -    Roman messenger God and Commerce God
Minerva    -    Roman Goddess of Wisdom, Arts, and Trade
Mithras    -    Roman God of Sun and Light
Neptune    -    Roman God of the Sea
Ops    -    Roman Goddess of Fertility
Pales    -    Roman Goddess of Flocks and Sheppard's
Pluto    -    Roman God on the Underworld
Pomona    -    Roman Goddess of Fruit Trees and Fruit
Proserpine    -    Roman Goddess of the Underworld
Saturn    -    Roman God of Seeds and Harvest
Venus    -    Roman Goddess of Beauty and Love
Vertumnus    -    Roman God of Seasons
Vesta    -    Roman Goddess of the Hearth
Vulcan    -    Roman God of Fire

MINERAL THEMED NAMES

Agate, Almandine, Amber, Amethyst, Beryl, Bronze, Cinnabar, Cobalt, Copper, Coral, Crystal, Diamond, Emerald, Galena, Garnet, Gold, Ivory, Jacinth, Jade, Jet, Jewel, Lapis, Lazuli, Mercury, Mica, Onyx, Opal, Pearl, Peridot, Platinum, Ruby, Sapphire, Shale, Silver, Slate, Steel, Sterling, Topaz, Turquoise, Zirconia

Alabaster, Bronze, Carnelian, Clay, Coal, Cobalt, Copper, Cornelian, Diamond, Flint, Garnet, Gold, Granite, Ivory, Jade, Jasper, Jet, Lazuli, Mercury, Mica, Nickel, Obsidian, Onyx, Platinum, Quartz, Shale, Silver, Slate, Steel, Sterling, Stone, Zinc, Zircon

NATURE THEMED NAMES

Autumn, Blossom, Breeze/Breezy, Cascade, Clementine, Clove/Clover, Coral, Dawn, Dove, Evening, Fauna, Fawn, Fern, Flora, Gaia, Galaxy, Gale, Hazel, Holly, Ivy, Maple, Meadow, Misty, Nova, Petal, Prairie, Season, Solstice, Sparrow, Sunny, Tempest, Terra/Tierra, Venus, Willow, Windy, Wren

Bear, Birch, Cliff, Cloud, Field, Flint, Forrest, Glenn, Grove, Hawk/Hawke, Leaf/Leif, Land, Leo, North, Orion, Ridge, Rock, Wolf/Wolfe, Wood/Woods/Woody

Ash, Aspen, Basil, Bay, Berry, Blaze, Brook/Brooke, Cedar, Clay, Cove, Dale, Dusty, Ember, Lake, Lark, Linden, Lotus, Ocean, Olive, Rain/Raine, Reed, River, Roan, Sage, Sky/Skye, Star/Starr, Storm/Stormy, Stone, Tree, West, Winter

SPACE THEMED NAMES

Andromeda: Its galaxy was named after a princess in Greek mythology, and means "ruler of man".
Amalthea: Moon of Jupiter, surface of large craters and mountains.
Ariel: The brightest moon of Uranus.
Astrid: Swedish Space Corporation's first microsatellite.
Aurora:  A natural light display in the sky (from the Latin word aurora, "sunrise" or the Roman goddess of dawn), predominantly seen in the high latitude (Arctic and Antarctic) regions.
Belinda: Ninth moon of Uranus, part of the Portia group of satellites.
Bellatrix: Star in the Orion constellation.
Bianca: A small moon of Uranus, named after the most desirable character in William Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew.
Callisto: The name of the third-largest moon in the universe comes from the nymph love interest for Zeus in Greek mythology. Shorten to Calli or Callis.
Calypso: This moon of Saturn was personified as a Queenly nymph in Greek mythology.
Carina: Constellation containing Canopus, the second-brightest star in the sky.
Cassiopeia: This constellation, named after beautiful figures in Greek mythology. Shorten to Cassie or Cass.
Celeste: From celestial, meaning heavenly.
Ceres: Dwarf planet in the inner solar system, may contain pure water ice.
Cordelia: Inner moon of Uranus.
Cressida: A moon of Uranus, named after a character in William Shakespeare's "Troilus and Cressida".
Despina: Inner satellite of Neptune, also called Neptune V.
Elara: It's a moon of Jupiter and one of Zeus's lovers.
Faye: Comet in the Jupiter family.
Halley: The only short-period comet that can be clearly visible by the human naked eye from Earth and can appear twice in the human lifetime.
Helene: Moon of Saturn, discovered in 1980.
Juliet: You might know it from William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, but did you know it's also a moon of Uranus? Shorten it to Julie or Jules.
Larissa: Fifth moon of Neptune.
Leda: Moon of Jupiter, one of Zeus's lovers.
Libra: This constellation in the eastern sky is also part of the zodiac.
Luna: Latin for moon.
Lyra: This harp-like constellation in the northern hemisphere is named after the lyre in the ancient Green myth of Orpheus.
Maia: A blue-giant star in the Taurus constellation
Miranda: One of Uranus's five major moons and is named after Miranda from William Shakespeare's The Tempest.
Moon: The Moon (Latin: Luna) is Earth's only natural satellite.
Nova: An explosion in a white dwarf, which causes a sudden increase in the brightness of a star, and means "new star".
Ophelia: A small moon of Uranus and is based on a character in William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
Pandora: A moon of Saturn, named after the first woman on earth in Greek mythology.
Phoebe: A moon of Saturn. In Greek mythology,"radiant, bright, prophetic" Phoebe was a goddess.
Portia: This large moon of Uranus was named after a character in William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice.
Rhea: One of Saturn's moons.
Rosalind: Moon of Uranus, discovered in 1986.
Seren: Welsh origin, means star.
Star: An adorable middle name for a rising superstar. Alternatively, Stella makes for a great and very feminine nickname.
Stella: Latin for star, variations Estelle, Estella.
Titania: The largest moon of Uranus and the queen of fairies in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Shortened to Tania.
Thebe: Red-coloured inner satellite of Jupiter.
Vega: The fifth brightest star in the night sky, known as the "Harp Star".
Venus: The second-closest planet to the Sun was named for the Roman goddess of love and beauty.

Altair: The 12th brightest star in the sky and the brightest star in the constellation Aquila the Eagle. It's a unisex name, but has been more popular with boys in the past.
Archer: This is the half-man, half-horse Sagittarius grouping of stars. The name Archer is strong and powerful. Archie could be a nice alternative.
Aries: The constellation that depicts a ram and is the representation of the Golden Fleece in Greek mythology. Alternatively change to Ares or Arese.
Aten: Asteroid group.
Atlas: The famous Greek Titan that held up the celestial sphere, and is known as the titan of astronomy and navigation.
Caelum: Faint constellation of stars in the southern hemisphere.
Castor: The brightest star in the constellation Gemini and together with his brother Pollux, they are known as "The Great Twins" in Greek mythology. Good twins name.
Columba: A constellation named after the dove that warned Noah about the upcoming flood. Callum is an alternative.
Cosmos / Cosmo: The entire physical universe: "The world."
Deimos: One of the moons of Mars.
Draco: Latin for "dragon," this constellation was inspired by the dragon that Hercules slayed during his 12 labors. A variation is Drake.
Eos: Family name of a belt of asteroids.
Galileo: The famed Italian astronomer who searched the heavens, and was the first to discover the phases of Venus, the moons of Jupiter (named the Galilean moons).
Halo: Galactic halo.
Holmes: This comet was once known as the largest object in the solar system. .
Hunter: The constellation Orion was personified as an adventurous hunter in Greek mythology and in Homer's epic Odyssey.
Janus: A moon of Saturn named after the two-faced Roman god. It's the masculine version of January.
Jupiter: The largest planet in the Solar System, named after the main god in Roman mythology (the equivalent of the Greek Zeus). The female version, Juno. Shorten to Jupe.
Kale: Moon orbiting Jupiter.
Leo: This is one of the earliest recognized constellations and contains many bright stars.
Mars: The fourth planet from the sun was named after the Roman god of war, and is often referred to as the "Red Planet".
Mercury: The planet closest to the Sun, named after the Roman god who was the flying messenger to the gods. Shorten to Merc.
Nash: A common name for the star Gamma Sagittarii, which is located in the constellation Sagittarius, and is located in the spout of "The Teapot."
Oberon: A large moon of Uranus, named after the king of the fairies in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Orion: A constellation that is named after the hunter in Greek mythology.
Pallas: Family of asteroids.
Perseus: A constellation in the northern sky that is named after the Greek god who defeated Medusa and saved Andromeda.
Phoenix: A small constellation in the southern sky named after the mythical bird of rebirth, and comes from the Greek name for "crimson."
Pluto: A dwarf planet in the Solar System, named after the god of the underworld in Greek mythology.
Proteus: One of Neptune's moons.
Rigel: A blue super-giant star in the constellation Orion that's the most important navigation star when travelling the oceans.
Sirius: The brightest star in the night sky, and means "glowing" or "scorcher" in Ancient Greek.
Solar: Related to the sun, the star at the center of the solar system.
Themis: Asteroid family.
Thule: Large asteroid discovered in 1888.
Triton: Moon orbiting Neptune.
Wolf: Lupus in Latin, constellation in the southern sky.

SPRING THEMED NAMES

April, Blossom, Chrysalis, Clover, Daisy, Dewi / Dewy, Easter, Flora, Honey, Lily, March, May, Nectaria, Pastelle, Petal, Robin, Spring, Sunny, Tulip, Windy

Branch, Bud, Chrisilis, Cloud, Dewey, Greene, Leaf / Leif, Nectarios, River, Springer
Bird / Byrd / Birdy / Birdie, Breeze / Breezy, Brooke, Dew, Rainn

SUMMER THEMED NAMES

Augusta, Berry, Breeze / Breezy, Daisy, India, Iris, Julia, July / Jully, June, Lakea, Lucia, Meadow, Oceana, Rae, Peach, Poppy, Plum / Pluma, Savannah, Seana, Shell, Sunna, Sunny, Sunshine, Wavey

Augusto / Augustus, Camp, Dune, Field, Julio, Julius, July, Junon, Laker, Leaf / Lief, Oceano, Ray, River, Sonny, Tan / Tanner, Trip / Tripp

August, Bee, Blue, Green, Juno, Kai, Lake, Light, Ocean, Sailor, Sandy, Sea, Shade / Shaden, Shine, Sky / Skye, Sol, Sommer / Somer, Somner / Sumner, Storm / Stormy, Summer, Thunder, Water, Wave

WINTER THEMED NAMES

Angel, Amaryllis, Bella, Belle, Berry, Bethlehem, Carol, Camellia, Christabelle, Christy, Chrysanthemum, Coco, Crystal, December, Eve, Eira, February, Fire / Fira, Freesa / Freesia, Gift, Gabrielle, Gabriella, Gloria, Haile / Haily, Heavenly, Holly, Hope, Icelyn / Icelynn, Ivy-Rose, Ivy / Ivye, January, Josephine, Juniper, Mary, Natalie, Neva, Noella, Noelle, Peace, Robyn, Snow, Snowflake, Solstice, Sparkle, Star, Starr, Winterrose

Angelo, Balthazar, Branch, Buddy, Chill, Colden / Coldin, Christopher, Christian, Clement, Crispin, Darke, Emmanuel, Ebenezer, Frost, Gabriel, Glover, Hail, Jack (as in Jack Frost), Jesus, Joseph, King, Nicholas, Noel, Rain, Storm, Santos, Winterhawk

Aster, Blaze / Blaize / Blayze, Ice, Joy, Robin, Ski / Skii, Snowden, Storm / Stormy, White, Winter / Winters / Wynter

Good sites to look for names for anyone:
All sorts of names here! Most of them are ones you've probably never heard of.
Despite the name of the site, there are some pretty good names here for all ages.
Some assorted names. I'm assuming an Australian made this site...
Some more names and their meanings.
Suggested by Teal!
previously known as Floofy

Shpore

TheTealWashableMarker

Very nice! Another website I'd suggest adding to the recommended sites list is the baby name section on Babble.com. I use it to name literally all my characters (heck, I got the name "Celeste" from the site!).

Edit: Added a punctuation mark to change the mood of the sentence
"I can't think of a quote to put here" - me, right now

SpicyMeatball

Quote from: TheTealWashableMarkerVery nice! Another website I'd suggest adding to the recommended sites list is the baby name section on Babble.com. I use it to name literally all my characters (heck, I got the name "Celeste" from the site!).

oooo ok
It has been added to the list.

TheTealWashableMarker

Quote from: Floofy
Quote from: TheTealWashableMarkerVery nice! Another website I'd suggest adding to the recommended sites list is the baby name section on Babble.com. I use it to name literally all my characters (heck, I got the name "Celeste" from the site!).

oooo ok
It has been added to the list.
yay! ^o^
"I can't think of a quote to put here" - me, right now

Rekekka

Quote from: FloofyLeaf / Leif
LUGH FARIS, IS THAT YOU?!
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

SpicyMeatball

Oh i just remembered
Pocky is a adorable name for a pet!

objecty

Quote from: FloofyOh i just remembered
it's also the name of a delicious treat
sorry for late post but I wanted to bump this :P
I don't use this website anymore (although I may check in or post occasionally), and have not for a while now. Sincerest apologies if you were wishing to communicate with me.
The vast majority of the things I have posted on here are old, and I regret them extremely. My attitude (i.e. annoyingness level (i.e. very high)) in such posts are (hopefully) not indicative of my current attitude (i.e. probably considerably less annoying). I thank all of my friends from earlier times here for tolerating my ignorance and idiocy.
Thank you.
(Also, I don't normally talk (well, type) like this. I just think it's fun. Bye.)

SpicyMeatball

Quote from: Beagel
it's also the name of a delicious treat
sorry for late post but I wanted to bump this :P
Its OK
And thank you 'v'

TheTrappedAngel

Shpore

NO POCKY IS A FOOD YOU EAT IT BUT IT IS A Thing!

objecty

why is 'Solar' a male name?
I have a character who is a girl and is named solar
well
her full name is Solar Stardust Cipherina Sunshine, but that's besides the point
I don't use this website anymore (although I may check in or post occasionally), and have not for a while now. Sincerest apologies if you were wishing to communicate with me.
The vast majority of the things I have posted on here are old, and I regret them extremely. My attitude (i.e. annoyingness level (i.e. very high)) in such posts are (hopefully) not indicative of my current attitude (i.e. probably considerably less annoying). I thank all of my friends from earlier times here for tolerating my ignorance and idiocy.
Thank you.
(Also, I don't normally talk (well, type) like this. I just think it's fun. Bye.)

SpicyMeatball

Quote from: Beagelwhy is 'Solar' a male name?
I have a character who is a girl and is named solar
well
her full name is Solar Stardust Cipherina Sunshine, but that's besides the point
I copy pasted these. I guess the sun is a masculine object in other languages (which explains why it has an o) which is what makes it a male name.
Not all male names have o's. Some havr a's. It's...confusing.

SpicyMeatball

objecty

Thank you.

objecty

boop because I need to remember this
Thank you.

Shpore

the2000

wow this is actually pretty cool although it would be nice if it had the "[Resource]" tag thing

edit: also this resource will get less useful over time ha
wasteof - the game of joining the game continues

<-- This is my friend dan. we are good chums
DAN FACT OF THE DAY: dan can only count to six on his hands

Epicness123

thank you to whoever bumped this
au
tbger since 2013

Shpore

Prism

Hey Floofy! Add "Kids" on the list!
she/her | hyper-obsessed Pokémon fan | Necrozma and Zoroark my beloveds

join Fragmented Future to forget that fairy types are immune to dragon-type moves

DownsGameClub

Quote from: ArceusHey Floofy! Add "Kids" on the list!
I would love to do that.
But I'll leave it up to them, hahaha.

Shpore

Quote from: DownsGameClub
Quote from: ArceusHey Floofy! Add "Kids" on the list!
I would love to do that.
But I'll leave it up to them, hahaha.
...can you at least pin this???

Joyous Theta

Bumping this because it's useful.

Incendiary

Reading the blue text with cobalt theme is pain
Just another internet user and anime transbian catgirl cosplaying as Sakuya Izayoi for April. If you were looking for something interesting here, you've come to the wrong place.

My discord is Incendiary__ and you can join my server at https://discord.gg/k2ywUzBAED
My Twitch channl is available at https://twitch.tv/incendiaryoce