News:

The moderation team plans to make revisions to the community guidelines. Detailed information about the changes can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

Wordweaver's Laboratory: First Test!

Started by Wordweaver, Jan 06, 2017, 08:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wordweaver

About this thread:

Basically, this is a thread where I'll try out various ideas, tell you guys what I have on the backburner, playtest games, and do various other RPG-related things. Essentially, an R&D facility for forum games.

Don't expect things on here to be finalized, and don't expect them to run for a long time before being revised (or restarted and given a thread of its own). That said, testing should definitely be fun, and it'll help me make actual, well-developed games in the future.

Discord Server:

This thread happens to have a discord server (which was technically made several weeks before it existed). A good deal of discussion and testing will go on over there, so I do recommend that guinea pigs join it.

Permanent link: https://discord.gg/Ay7FxvX

In the works:

-Not-Alchemy: A major game. It was origionally going to be based on an alchemy system I came up with, but I've since expanded the focus (and reinvented physics at least twice while worldbuilding).

-Evolving game: A system for a low-effort-per-update game which begins as a minimalist and slowly becomes something more defined and unique.

Ongoing Tests:

-Feel free to mess around with an alchemy system in the discord server.
As above, so below.

objecty

I don't use this website anymore (although I may check in or post occasionally), and have not for a while now. Sincerest apologies if you were wishing to communicate with me.
The vast majority of the things I have posted on here are old, and I regret them extremely. My attitude (i.e. annoyingness level (i.e. very high)) in such posts are (hopefully) not indicative of my current attitude (i.e. probably considerably less annoying). I thank all of my friends from earlier times here for tolerating my ignorance and idiocy.
Thank you.
(Also, I don't normally talk (well, type) like this. I just think it's fun. Bye.)

Dino

NuclearArmadillo

[removed by moderator - inappropriate]

Wordweaver

Quote from: jji10dino
Quote from: Beagelhoorah
Hate to be that guy, but didn't you say you would never join Word's RPGs again?

Hush. If she wants in, it's perfectly fine for her to participate.

Quote from: NuclearArmadillo-snip-

What even.
As above, so below.

objecty

Quote from: jji10dino
Quote from: Beagelhoorah
Hate to be that guy, but didn't you say you would never join Word's RPGs again?
Correct! I will just view them for now.
I don't use this website anymore (although I may check in or post occasionally), and have not for a while now. Sincerest apologies if you were wishing to communicate with me.
The vast majority of the things I have posted on here are old, and I regret them extremely. My attitude (i.e. annoyingness level (i.e. very high)) in such posts are (hopefully) not indicative of my current attitude (i.e. probably considerably less annoying). I thank all of my friends from earlier times here for tolerating my ignorance and idiocy.
Thank you.
(Also, I don't normally talk (well, type) like this. I just think it's fun. Bye.)

Shpore

i wanted to post on this thread but i have no idea why
here is another pointless post dont ban me

Wordweaver

All right, guys, first test.

------------------

So, first things first, the idea here is to make a game which grows and evolves as a result of significant events. That includes the sorts of things which you might expect- the death of an important character or powerful player, the creation of a potent item, a fierce battle- almost anything with some degree of importance can shift the balance of the world, just slightly. That will hopefully result in the addition of more magic to the world over time, and the organic develop of magic systems and other classic fantasy goodness.

---------------

Of course, that's largely irrelevant for the time being. As of right now, you guys are in a typical medieval world, with a few fantasy elements. I'll assume you're using your username as your game name unless you say otherwise.

Typical D10 rules.

~

Several travelers stand around in the town square of an empty settlement, seemingly abandoned overnight. They have absolutely no idea what happened, save that they've been seeing things in the corners of their eyes. A weeping child, a screaming lamb, festering wounds in the very air...

Something about this place is horribly, ominously wrong, that much is certain. The wanderers must find the source of that wrongness, or run for their lives- lest it claim them, as well as the village.

What do they do?
As above, so below.

Dino

Try to interview/interrogate some people.

Wordweaver

Quote from: jji10dinoTry to interview/interrogate some people.

"an empty settlement, seemingly abandoned overnight."

You could definitely do some breaking and entering, though. See if you can find some bodies, even.
As above, so below.

Dino

Sorry. :P

Look around for clues. Blood, open drawers etc.

Karanrimé

Let's follow the Dino!

[is this city post- Artifice?]
The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

Rekekka

Double our efforts by looking for clues elsewhere
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."
This is a message from Lord Nergal.
I await you on the Dread Isle.

Faressain

Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Wordweaver

Quote from: jji10dinoSorry. :P

Look around for clues. Blood, open drawers etc.

Search: 7
Luck: 8

Dino does some breaking and entering, which is actually quite easy given that the front doors of several houses are ajar. He searches the nearest such dwelling for clues, or possibly signs of a conflict.

Strangely, the home seems to be entirely undisturbed. Everything is in its proper place, and there do not seem to be any bloodstains. That said, there is something strange about the place- even stranger than the town itself. The fleeting, ephemeral visions of terrified villagers become more common, and Dino swears that he could see red, viscous liquid flowing from his own skin at least once.

Finally, he reaches what seems to be the source of the increased imagery, and the sle blemish within the house. A dark purple stain covers the entirety of a bathroom wall, spreading from mirror to floor. It is a color which seems inherently filthy- blackened, uneven purple mixed with the crimson color of blood. As if that weren't enough, the stain is pulsing steadily- a rhythmic, organic expansion and contraction reminiscent of a human heart.

The horrid thing seems to detest Dino's presence, even rage at it- but it merely sinks into the walls, hiding itself until it is given an opportunity. It is not gone, by any means, but it seems to have eschewed a brutal assault in favor of subterfuge.

--------------

Quote from: TBGChildGamerLet's follow the Dino!

[is this city post- Artifice?]

You stay firmly behind dino's back while he plays detective, which means that you see (and were relatively close to) everything that happened above.

----------------

Quote from: coolman2443Double our efforts by looking for clues elsewhere

Cool (search): 10
Cool (luck): 2
? (attack): 10
Cool (dodge): 3, -1 [surprise] =2

Cool wanders through the village's dirt roads, searching for something which might shed light on the town's fate. What he does find aren't the thirty or so corpses that may have been left by the villagers, but they are three bodies with their heads chopped off.

The half-rotten cadavers lie on a raised platform, still covered in their own dried lifeblood. Such setups are usually used for the execution of dangerous or violent criminals, who are beheaded with an executioner's axe. Strangely (and somewhat disturbingly), the bodies are covered with a purple, glowing substance reminiscent of cobwebs, and seem to have decomposed far more than several cool days would allow...

Cool's train of thought is interrupted by an axe, which strikes his side and cleaves through about half of his stomach. The wound is entirely painless, likely due to shock, but it still takes him a full second to recover and see his attacker.

The creature which nearly chopped him in half is a humanoid of monstrous size, nearly twice the height of an average man. The thing is largely purple, of such a dark and charred hue that it resembles a shadow. Crimson veins crisscross its body, and red sparks flow from its eyes.

The titan wields a razor-sharp, steel axe which is so small in comparison to its wielder that it looks like a toy. Nevertheless, the creature is obviously able to use it effectively- as demonstrated by Cool's massive gut wound.
As above, so below.

Dino

Treehee

greetings,

A random laughing tree

I'm a ninja :P

Faressain

--> Break into some doors for clues...
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

Rekekka

Welp, found it at least.

Holding onto my wound I quickly abscond the area, but not too far to where the beast cannot see me. I want to bring this beast over to the group so we can take care of it together.

Stronger in numbers... right?
Your local meme dealer. The man who also completed Final Fantasy 2 0% growths solo run.
"Go to Brazil."

Starmeadows

Karanrimé

I try to find a weapon.
Just in case.
The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

Wordweaver

Quote from: jji10dinoDino nopes the HECK out of there.

Dino leaves the house without further incident, although he can still feel the eerie, creeping sensation which surrounded the stain. Visions continue to dance in the corners of his eyes, more noticeable than ever.

-------------------

Quote from: TreeheeA tree watches from a distance

((I'm not sure if you want to play or just watch, but either way, here you go.))

An extremely tree-like humanoid has rooted itself on a hill which overlooks the town. The earth in this place feels... strange. Hostile and strange, though it has not been salted.

The taint centers on the town, but occasionally reaches outwards, leaving dead plants and lifeless soil in its wake. The ent is not compelled to investigate, and indeed, it can probably uproot itself if things go wrong. Even so, this disease of the ground seems... strange, otherworldly. It may be best to stop it before it can truly take hold.

-------------------------

Quote from: Faressain--> Break into some doors for clues...

Search: 2
Luck: 4

Faressain looks through several houses, looking clues regarding whatever events transpired here. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, given the gruesome sounds of a blade striking flesh he has begun to hear), the homes seem to be entirely mundane. Two do contain folk charms and protective poppets, but those are standard fare for this sort of settlement. The effectiveness of such "magic" usually boils down to superstition and a hefty dose of the placebo effect.

What he does find is some sort of enormous, humanoid monster in the street, which appears to be dissecting Coolman with a steel axe that looks tiny in the creature's hand. It seems that the sounds Fares heard before weren't auditory hallucinations after all.

------------------------

Quote from: coolman2443Welp, found it at least.

Holding onto my wound I quickly abscond the area, but not too far to where the beast cannot see me. I want to bring this beast over to the group so we can take care of it together.

Stronger in numbers... right?

Speed: Cool (9, -3 [giant wound]=6) / Titan (8-1=7)
Titan (attack): 10
Cool (dodge): 8, -2 [wound]= 6
Cool (endurance): 4

Cool drags himself to the square, ducking through as many of the Titan's strikes as possible. The monster does not make things easy, to say the least. Cool is struck by at least three swings, more than enough to make him lose blood at an alarming rate.

In the end, he only manages to get about three fourths of the way to the square before collapsing. It wasn't nearly enough to force his fellow wanderers to gang up on the abomination, but perhaps one will find him and intervene.

-------------------------

Quote from: Smiley100P"Mrowr?"

((...Fine.))

Smiley is a stray cat. He knows this village like the back of his paw- in fact, he's lived there for the entirety of his life. Even so, there is something... different now, something bad. The buildings are still here, but the people aren't, and everything smells like poison.

Several strangers are wandering through the town, leaving trails of scent that are clear as day to one with the cat's senses. One is particularly arresting- a powerful smell laced with blood and desperation.

------------------------

Quote from: TBGChildGamerI try to find a weapon.
Just in case.

Search luck: 8
Luck: 8

Visions of people in distress and blood on the stones become more common as Dino returns to the square, culminating in a momentary glimpse of Cool lying, broken, before some towering monster.

Somewhat disturbed, CG decides to leave the square and look for some sort of weapon. He chooses a house at random, picking from a wide selection of dwellings with doors ajar. It doesn't seem to contain any true implements of war, likely because this was a simple farming village, but he does find a hunting bow and quiver filled with arrows.
As above, so below.

Wordweaver

Sorry about the delay. Real life stuff and other projects started getting in the way.
As above, so below.

Dino

Rekekka

(And of course, RNG pays no pity to me. At all.)
"Go to Brazil."