News:

The moderation team is holding a poll on the topic of the site's connection to Scratch. More details can be found here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Main Menu

New Image Rules [Discussion] *****VOTING OPEN*****

Started by TheLetterThorn, Jul 09, 2016, 11:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLetterThorn

VOTE HERE! http://www.strawpoll.me/10797863

I was going to post this in the mod forum, but I decided that I wanted user input too.

As you are all aware, there has recently been an image ban. I lifted it today, because most of the image-related flame seems to have blown over. However, as a community, we need to make sure that it doesn't go overboard.

The main reason for the image ban was that some users were posting images that were 1.) ridiculously large and obtrusive, increasing page load time and getting in the way of other posts, and 2.) irrelevant or unnecessary in the topics they were posted in.

In order to keep this community enjoyable and spam-free, I propose we set up new rules for the use of images. These could include:

1.) You may only post images in topics that rely on them, or in games such as Infinite Clipboard
2.) You may only post images smaller than certain dimensions
3.) If the topic owner is currently active, you must receive their permission before posting images in their topic.

What is the general consensus? Are these rules reasonable? Are there any others the community would like to see instated?
Thorn | TBG Team | Massive Nerd
Currently on vacation and will remain active until the spring semester.
Obsessed with William Butler Yeats until further notice.
Visit my website, where I display my creative and web projects.
Pronouns: at this point do i even know? (he/him/his)

manosysltia

That sounds reasonable. I just think maybe it's a little redundant to have to ask the owner every time you want to post an image. However, I guess that's not often if the topic's not heavily based on images.

(also this should probably be stickied)
pickles are just cucumbers and my life is a lie

TheLetterThorn

Well I meant ask the topic owner if images were allowed, one time, and then anyone who wanted to post images in that topic could.

Siverko

Yeah. That could work.

1. Yes.

2. Need to specify dimensions or file size (e.g. 8 MB max)

3. Yes, or if the topic owner mentioned that images are allowed in the first post.

I would also like to propose:

4. No unnecessary images. If you can communicate the same thing with words, do so.

5. No irrelevant images. If an image adds nothing to the conversation, do not post it at all.
I have returned.

Siverko - pronounced "SEE-vehr-koh" (IPA: [ˈsiverko]), from a traditional Slavic word meaning "cold north wind".

TheLetterThorn

I think 4 and 5 are taken care of by the other rules.

Siverko

I feel like maybe they need to be explicitly mentioned. There are some of those people who will find loopholes for everything. If you can explain how 4 and 5 fit in in 1, 2, and 3, that would be great.
I have returned.

Siverko - pronounced "SEE-vehr-koh" (IPA: [ˈsiverko]), from a traditional Slavic word meaning "cold north wind".

Dino

I think the first rule is good, the second rule should also say that you are allowed to put links of large images.

The third rule can be annoying though, because if the topic owner is in a different timezone, it can take ages for him to reply, and by then, the opportunity will have passed.

TheLetterThorn

As I said, the topic owner would only have to give permission once. And the bit about linking to huge images is a good idea. :)

Faressain

RPGS should also be able to have images not banned...
Priest units never get old. WOLOLO!

A fate can be changed, everything will change. A destiny is just a container that keeps the liquid in - in this case a person.
Raise your voice, and say it with Twilight Sparkle! I am a kitty cat and I'm steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow, steppin' steppin' on pillow.

Have a twili-meow! /On discord as Vardaril#1783

PrincessPandaTBG

I have no say since I like images.

But I'm now happy that images are unbanned.

[large irrelevant image removed - please respect other users]
A regular TBGer from 2015-7, bless Sonic the Hedgehog
DARN YOU LACK OF SUPPORT FOR WEBP

Dino

Quote from: PrincessPandaTBGI have no say since I like images.

...you literally broke the main rule that this topic is about.

PrincessPandaTBG

Okay.

1. Kinda agree.
2. Is their someway in which the forums can resize the image by itself? I don't want to edit and upload images a billion times.
3. I don't like to wait.

NuclearArmadillo

Quote from: PrincessPandaTBGOkay.

1. Kinda agree.
2. Is their someway in which the forums can resize the image by itself? I don't want to edit and upload images a billion times.
3. I don't like to wait.

It's what we have to do to prevent the posting of huge or irrelevant pictures. *hint hint nudge nudge*
[removed by moderator - inappropriate]

Starmeadows

Sounds noice.

Also, the owner's rules should allow the permission of images.  Should it not?

DownsGameClub

I agree!  Are you still talking about certain dimensions?

PrincessPandaTBG

Someone bring me a CAT machine so I could do a CAT scan of my brain.

Siverko

Quote from: jji10dino
Quote from: PrincessPandaTBGI have no say since I like images.

...you literally broke the main rule that this topic is about.

Yes... this is just... WHY?!?!?!

There needs to be some sort of warning system put in place in case the rules are violated.
I have returned.

Siverko

Someone posted an image that was from a malware site, blocking me from playing a TBG game because of security threats.

This act should be punished somehow.
I have returned.

Karanrimé

1. This seems fair. I know people can get carried away, and I feel people should know when it is right.
2. This needs to include sigs.
3. NO. JUST NO.
I'm sorry if that came across as harsh, but this would do multiple things to invade discussion.

*Infinite clipboard*

4/10
MARPGE
My clipboard has an image. May I post it?
nothing/10
WOTW II

*post request*

This message is pasted.
Don't post images
May I post an image for this?
Sure!

*Someone is off*

May I post an image?
Can I post an image?
May We post images?
THE OP IS OFF.

If this MUST be incorporated, I suggest a messaging system, where there is a separate page for messages, instead of emails, like Scratch. And combine all messages about the same topic into one message. I know you already do that, but can't you see if we've read the email you've sent us?

There. Someone had to suggest the messages page.
The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

Starmeadows

Quote from: TBGChildGamer1. This seems fair. I know people can get carried away, and I feel people should know when it is right.
2. This needs to include sigs.
3. NO. JUST NO.
I'm sorry if that came across as harsh, but this would do multiple things to invade discussion.

*Infinite clipboard*

4/10
MARPGE
My clipboard has an image. May I post it?
nothing/10
WOTW II

*post request*

This message is pasted.
Don't post images
May I post an image for this?
Sure!

*Someone is off*

May I post an image?
Can I post an image?
May We post images?
THE OP IS OFF.

If this MUST be incorporated, I suggest a messaging system, where there is a separate page for messages, instead of emails, like Scratch. And combine all messages about the same topic into one message. I know you already do that, but can't you see if we've read the email you've sent us?

There. Someone had to suggest the messages page.
The owner may be able to allow images on the first post in TMARPGE.

Karanrimé

Quote from: Smiley100P
Quote from: TBGChildGamer*snip*
The owner may be able to allow images on the first post in TMARPGE.
I never used MARPGE as an example topic. just a name.
The human(?) previously known on this site as ChildGamer

[under construction]

;

TheLetterThorn

PPTBG, one more irrelevant image and I'll put the image ban back until the rules are fixed in place. :|

Ok, so the idea of image permission from the topic owner seems to be rather unpopular. Private messaging is unsupported at this time. What if we do it the other way - active topic owners can choose to disallow images in their topic post, and all users of that topic must refrain from using images or, if they're REALLY necessary, ask permission.

PrincessPandaTBG

Quote from: SomeliaPPTBG, one more irrelevant image and I'll put the image ban back until the rules are fixed in place. :|

Ok, so the idea of image permission from the topic owner seems to be rather unpopular. Private messaging is unsupported at this time. What if we do it the other way - active topic owners can choose to disallow images in their topic post, and all users of that topic must refrain from using images or, if they're REALLY necessary, ask permission.
I want a brain transplant now.

Siverko

Quote from: SomeliaOk, so the idea of image permission from the topic owner seems to be rather unpopular. Private messaging is unsupported at this time. What if we do it the other way - active topic owners can choose to disallow images in their topic post, and all users of that topic must refrain from using images or, if they're REALLY necessary, ask permission.

This was what I was thinking.
I have returned.

Dino

Quote from: SomeliaOk, so the idea of image permission from the topic owner seems to be rather unpopular. Private messaging is unsupported at this time. What if we do it the other way - active topic owners can choose to disallow images in their topic post, and all users of that topic must refrain from using images or, if they're REALLY necessary, ask permission.
Sounds good to me.